You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC Draft Semi-final 1

Sugar Ape

Vote for the best two teams  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the best two teams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/07/19 at 09:33

Much stronger group this one. 

Stig - 8/10

Nice looking side. Not sure how the front two would work but defenders would never get a minutes peace. Really like the midfield but defence lets the side down a bit. 

Lee - 7/10

Heighway was a great pick but you then played him on the wrong wing. Functional defence but no more. 

John - 5/10

Great back 5 and then it goes to shit. Salah on the wrong wing and Momo as your AM? Are you allergic to votes in these drafts? 

Dim 8.5/10

Like that side. Very good attack and Sahin is massively underrated due to his time here. 

Rapey 9.5/10

Hand the trophy over now. 

Tone - 8.5/10

Another nicely balanced side and very close between you and Dim for my second pick. Tone just gets it on the better keeper. 

Going to go with Dim and Stig with Stig just edging Tony out. I think Dim has the best side and I'm going to go against the grain here and say James, at his peak, is a better keeper than Ogrizovic. Think all the teams are pretty good to be honest with John just being let down big time by having Momo as the most advanced midfielder. Baffled by that to be honest.

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Lee - 7/10

Heighway was a great pick but you then played him on the wrong wing. Functional defence but no more. 

No i didn't

From LFC official

Steve often took the "highway" up the left wing, riding tackles, showing perfect ball-control at breakneck speed and delivering great passes

.lfchistory.net/

After making his debut in September 1970, he went on to make 473 appearances over 11 years, scoring 76 goals and creating hundreds more as the archetypal left winger.

The Blizzard articl on the 74 final

pitch-i15-p161-0-0-0-0-1496743713.jpg

As he got older and under Paisley he started playing off the frontman as a second striker or as the only sub in them days he played on either wing as Ray Kennedy had taken over at Left midfield when Bob stopped playing with traditional wingers. But Heighway as a winger in his pomp was a left winger

Transfermarkt is very wrong on this one

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lee909 said:

No i didn't

From LFC official

Steve often took the "highway" up the left wing, riding tackles, showing perfect ball-control at breakneck speed and delivering great passes

.lfchistory.net/

After making his debut in September 1970, he went on to make 473 appearances over 11 years, scoring 76 goals and creating hundreds more as the archetypal left winger.

As he got older and under Paisley he started playing off the frontman as a second striker or as the only sub in them days he played on either wing as Ray Kennedy had taken over at Left midfield when Bob stopped playing with traditional wingers. But Heighway as a winger in his pomp was a left winger

Not arguing the point for votes as i think theres better teams than mine in this group

22 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

No i didn't

From LFC official

.lfchistory.net/

Loads of inaccuracies on Transfermarkt. Yeah, Heighway was primarily a left-winger. Boss little compilation video, this.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Going to go with Dim and Stig with Stig just edging Tony out. I think Dim has the best side and I'm going to go against the grain here and say James, at his peak, is a better keeper than Ogrizovic. Think all the teams are pretty good to be honest with John just being let down big time by having Momo as the most advanced midfielder. Baffled by that to be honest.

I agree that James is better - I mean, obviously I would say that and you'll have to take it on trust, but I would have picked James had Ogrizovic been there at the time I was picking. However, it was pretty likely that Ogrizovic was going to be a more "popular" pick in the sense that he wasn't shit for Liverpool and he's considered more likeable than James in general - (spent years at the one club, unlucky never to have been capped, etc).

Anyhow, on these sides:

Stig - a good balanced side overall but the defence is pretty weak.

Lee - again, good balanced side, lacks a bit of creativity and the defence isn't great, though marginally better than Stig's.

John - completely devoid of creativity but a very strong defence. 

Ape - strongest side overall though I think Oxlade-Chamberlain is a slightly dubious pick - is his peak basically those two months last season?

Tony - some players who I'm not an expert on in this side, but what I can judge properly, I like.

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

John - 5/10

Great back 5 and then it goes to shit. Salah on the wrong wing and Momo as your AM? Are you allergic to votes in these drafts?  

Harsh.

All my midfield 3 are industrious destroyers. Momo isnt an attacking midfielder. He just presses slightly further forward than the other 2.

I agree with those who say my team lacks creativity. We are designed to grind teams down and not conced, hit them on the break with a toshack to salah flick on. Kuyt to hit in any parry from keeper.

Stig

I was made up with my midfield and attack. Fowler and St John would wreak havoc. Berger was a brilliant player for us and I think underrated. Callaghan speaks for himself and the middle two are outstanding. 

Ablett was solid at LB although i think Bjornebye would have been a better option for them balls he played into Fowler when they played together. Scales wasn't too bad but had a shite defence around him. I used to get pissed off by Henchoz when he was here. always seemed to gas really early but him and Hyppia played great together. Clyne filled a hole. Friedel went on to be a brilliant keeper after he left us. I'd have rather we kept him than have had the keepers we had right up to Reina. 

Lee

Solid in every position. Hunt is a legend and peak Sturridge (2014) was one of the best in the league. Highway is one of our greatest ever wingers and McDermott was a beast in the middle. Lucas I never rated that much even though he was a nice guy and all that. Johnstone (assume its Craig Johnston?) was always on the peripheral but a capable player in a very good squad. Solid defence and our greatest keeper ever (soon to be overtaken to be fair) 

John102

Great front 3 although Toshack on his own might struggle as he had Keegan to knock the ball down for. Salah and Kurt would get the goals there. 

What the fuck is Momo doing as an AM? You would have been better having Zenden. Ince was/is a horrible cunt and should never have been at this club but he was a very good player before he came t us and I still remember celebrating his equaliser against the Mancs in the top like a fucking maniac. I know of Brian Hall but couldn't say how good he really was. 

Pellegrino was decent but the other 3 in defence are absolute legends of the club and make that arguably the best defence in the draft. Best keeper in the world as well.  

Dim

N/A

Rapey

Solid all over. One sexy attack that. Suarez and Bobby in the same team is the stuff dreams are made of and with Litmanen in behind.... I just jizzed a little. The midfield at their best is really good. Decent defence too. I wanted Wright, wasn't great for us but was a very good defender at his peak. 

Brilliant fullbacks and Reina was boss. 

Tony

If you had Heskey over Collymore you would have had a fighting chance of a vote here. Kennedy would have to be the creative player in this side but it is solid all over. That defence is great, I reckon Gomez can become a legend here if he stays for over the next 7/8 years. 

How old are you Tony? 

I've gone for Rapey and that disgusting bastard Dim. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Stig

I was made up with my midfield and attack. Fowler and St John would wreak havoc. Berger was a brilliant player for us and I think underrated. Callaghan speaks for himself and the middle two are outstanding. 

Ablett was solid at LB although i think Bjornebye would have been a better option for them balls he played into Fowler when they played together. Scales wasn't too bad but had a shite defence around him. I used to get pissed off by Henchoz when he was here. always seemed to gas really early but him and Hyppia played great together. Clyne filled a hole. Friedel went on to be a brilliant keeper after he left us. I'd have rather we kept him than have had the keepers we had right up to Reina. 

Lee

Solid in every position. Hunt is a legend and peak Sturridge (2014) was one of the best in the league. Highway is one of our greatest ever wingers and McDermott was a beast in the middle. Lucas I never rated that much even though he was a nice guy and all that. Johnstone (assume its Craig Johnston?) was always on the peripheral but a capable player in a very good squad. Solid defence and our greatest keeper ever (soon to be overtaken to be fair) 

John102

Great front 3 although Toshack on his own might struggle as he had Keegan to knock the ball down for. Salah and Kurt would get the goals there. 

What the fuck is Momo doing as an AM? You would have been better having Zenden. Ince was/is a horrible cunt and should never have been at this club but he was a very good player before he came t us and I still remember celebrating his equaliser against the Mancs in the top like a fucking maniac. I know of Brian Hall but couldn't say how good he really was. 

Pellegrino was decent but the other 3 in defence are absolute legends of the club and make that arguably the best defence in the draft. Best keeper in the world as well.  

Dim

N/A

Rapey

Solid all over. One sexy attack that. Suarez and Bobby in the same team is the stuff dreams are made of and with Litmanen in behind.... I just jizzed a little. The midfield at their best is really good. Decent defence too. I wanted Wright, wasn't great for us but was a very good defender at his peak. 

Brilliant fullbacks and Reina was boss. 

Tony

If you had Heskey over Collymore you would have had a fighting chance of a vote here. Kennedy would have to be the creative player in this side but it is solid all over. That defence is great, I reckon Gomez can become a legend here if he stays for over the next 7/8 years. 

How old are you Tony? 

I've gone for Rapey and that disgusting bastard Dim. 

Early 40s, but I grew up watching old footy videos. We had all manner of official club history and cup final videos and not just Liverpool ones. My dad is a proper anorak and used to attend football memorabilia fairs, so we had all sorts of videos that you didn’t see in ordinary shops.

With regard to Emile Heskey, I have to disagree, mate. Heskey had a very effective partnership with Michael Owen, especially during the 2000-01 season, but on his day Collymore was a far superior player.

Creativity, in my opinion, wouldn’t be a problem. Both full-backs were more than capable of getting forward. Ronnie Whelan was a much better player than he was/is given credit for. Collymore, of course, could drop deep when required.

Really tough group this.

Dim’s forward line is pure sex. Mental. I watched Kenny the first time last weekend, fuck he was so good. Riedle was underwhelming for us but he had an established career elsewhere, and Mane and Macca out wide make the forward line complete. He’s got my pick. The rest of the team is very good too and has a nice balance to it. 

Rapey has an excellent front 6 and goalkeeper. Questionable centre half pairing IMO. Read up on Larry Lloyd, he won the league with us, but never got many caps for national team. Mark Wright I remember. He played in a back three under Roy IIRC. He was a solid player, but I don’t remember him being more than that.

Lee has a nice and balanced side. Hunt has impressive stats. McDermott first I really looked into his was a few days ago and he sounds top class. I think the back line is a touch underwhelming. At their peak, Finnan, Skrtel and Riise were solid but not quite IMO. Agger’s ceiling was excellent but we didn’t see enough of it. 

John102’s got got a real solid back line, with a very good attack (should’ve swapped Salah and Kuyt), but the midfield is relatively poor IMO. No creativity.

Tony’s team I honestly really struggle with. I don’t think I’d heard of Cormack and Lindsay before this draft. Rush is an obviously excellent pick. He was just before my time, but from what I’ve read he was a proper number 9. Would he have worked with Stan? Solid midfield. Very good centre half pairing. 

Stig’s team got a nice balance to it too. I think the back five is costing you though. Case seemed a solid enough player based on stats, but he never got called up, so I’m guessing he wasn’t top top quality.

So then... my second pick then... goes to.... Rapey. 

30 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Really tough group this.

Dim’s forward line is pure sex. Mental. I watched Kenny the first time last weekend, fuck he was so good. Riedle was underwhelming for us but he had an established career elsewhere, and Mane and Macca out wide make the forward line complete. He’s got my pick. The rest of the team is very good too and has a nice balance to it. 

Rapey has an excellent front 6 and goalkeeper. Questionable centre half pairing IMO. Read up on Larry Lloyd, he won the league with us, but never got many caps for national team. Mark Wright I remember. He played in a back three under Roy IIRC. He was a solid player, but I don’t remember him being more than that.

Lee has a nice and balanced side. Hunt has impressive stats. McDermott first I really looked into his was a few days ago and he sounds top class. I think the back line is a touch underwhelming. At their peak, Finnan, Skrtel and Riise were solid but not quite IMO. Agger’s ceiling was excellent but we didn’t see enough of it. 

John102’s got got a real solid back line, with a very good attack (should’ve swapped Salah and Kuyt), but the midfield is relatively poor IMO. No creativity.

Tony’s team I honestly really struggle with. I don’t think I’d heard of Cormack and Lindsay before this draft. Rush is an obviously excellent pick. He was just before my time, but from what I’ve read he was a proper number 9. Would he have worked with Stan? Solid midfield. Very good centre half pairing. 

Stig’s team got a nice balance to it too. I think the back five is costing you though. Case seemed a solid enough player based on stats, but he never got called up, so I’m guessing he wasn’t top top quality.

So then... my second pick then... goes to.... Rapey. 

Lloyd also won the league with forest and back-to-back European cups. 

International caps are a bit misleading in the 60s, 70s and 80s as a way to judge a player imo. For various reasons loads of excellent players didn’t get capped often for their countries. Scotland especially didn’t like picking players who played in England. 

Ron Yeats only got two caps for them, Tommy Lawrence three caps and Nicol and Hansen around 25 caps each. 

Alan Kennedy only got two caps for England, Tommy Smith one cap and Ian Callaghan four caps. These are some of the best players in our history. I’m not sure why they didn’t get picked more for the National team to be honest. 

I bet you've never heard of Mick Mills but he got 42 caps for England and captained them in the ‘82 World Cup. You didn’t have to play for the best clubs to get capped in those days I guess.   

• Upvote 1

Loads of brilliant players rarely got capped in the 60's, 70's, 80's and even 90's. Especially players from northern teams. Thats why England got called London FC because they were full of players from the likes of QPR and Chelsea. 

12 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Lloyd also won the league with forest and back-to-back European cups. 

International caps are a bit misleading in the 60s, 70s and 80s as a way to judge a player imo. For various reasons loads of excellent players didn’t get capped often for their countries. Scotland especially didn’t like picking players who played in England. 

Ron Yeats only got two caps for them, Tommy Lawrence three caps and Nicol and Hansen around 25 caps each. 

Alan Kennedy only got two caps for England, Tommy Smith one cap and Ian Callaghan four caps. These are some of the best players in our history. I’m not sure why they didn’t get picked more for the National team to be honest. 

I bet you've never heard of Mick Mills but he got 42 caps for England and captained them in the ‘82 World Cup. You didn’t have to play for the best clubs to get capped in those days I guess.   

Good write up Rapey.