You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

3 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Let's be honest, if he comes back and has a blinder of a season and Barca say they want him back, what do you think he'll do? He'd go running back to the Nou Camp without even a goodbye. 

I doubt that, to be honest. The fans there wouldn't accept him. Even having been rejected by him, most of us (I think) would...

Even if we paid 80m for him it could be the funniest move ever. So we send him on loan for 18 months to Barcelona, pays half the VVD fee(as we won't get all the clauses for 140ml), knock them out the Champions league and get him back on the cheap

Don't see it happening but if Klopp and the players are happy then it's all good

The way to do it is to agree a 2-year loan deal for a token 1 Euro per year, with a non-obligatory option to buy, and Barcelona paying all his wages. Plus they have to pay us all those add-ons if he achieves any of the objectives set out in his Barcelona contract while he's on loan with us. Oh, and extend that can't-buy-another-player-off-us clause for a further 2 years.

For the player, he'll be treated as a deluxe bench option from whom Klopp and the coaching staff will insist on maximum effort with no distractions allowed by his entourage, to earn the right to be a starter in the team again. His entourage can stay in Catalonia and enjoy the better weather.

Over to you, Kia Joorabchian. Or else you'll have to hope PSG want to buy him, otherwise you'll be left to hawk him around China.

• Upvote 1

I couldn’t see it happening earlier in the window because I couldn’t see us paying half what they paid us for him.  He’s just not worth it.  I still can’t see us paying above 60m for him now.  I think the only way the move happens is if he plays hardball with them.  If he refuses to go anywhere else and they keep spending money he will hold all the cards.  By the sounds of it he looks like he knows this already.  His agent kicking up a stink about trying to use him as a swap to Paris and talking about not playing for a rival in England gives you the inkling he wants to control his own destiny.

If he came back I think he’s have a rocket up his arse to prove a point and it would give the front 3 a big lift.  The loan move doesn’t look realistic right now but they might get a twitchy arse come August.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

So we should sign a player that kicked up a fuss to leave, subsequently declined in his level of play, lost confidence, would still cost loads of money and would basically be crawling back to his former employer after a humiliating failure at the club of his dreams?

It's the exact opposite of a no brainer. That's a lot of shit to think about right there.

He’s still the same player as he was, and at the time he left he was one of our best players. Anything below £100m, I’d take him back.

53 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He improves the bench so yeah, 2 year loan. 

If everyone is fit I wouldn’t start him in CL semis and final if we make it, so you have a point. However, I’d start him as an AML in 4-2-3-1 at home against teams outside of the top six. I’d bench him in the away games against the top six. For the rest, I’d rotate him with the front three. So he’d get plenty of games.

12 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

If everyone is fit I wouldn’t start him in CL semis and final if we make it, so you have a point. However, I’d start him as an AML in 4-2-3-1 at home against teams outside of the top six. I’d bench him in the away games against the top six. For the rest, I’d rotate him with the front three. So he’d get plenty of games.

Arguably his two best games were away against Utd (Europa league) and Chelsea. But I still agree. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Arguably his two best games were away against Utd (Europa league) and Chelsea. But I still agree. 

Varela, the RB who played on him (who got rinsed beautifully by Coutinho for the goal), now plays for FC Copenhagen. 

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

What gives you the right to call me unreliable? 

Incidentally, you smell of poo. 

I'm pretty sure that any thread you've started to welcome a new signing has resulted in that player signing for someone else. 

Where were you when we were being linked with Moreno? 

He's an excellent player, a proven match winner and we'd be deluding ourselves to think he wouldn't at least improve the squad.

I can understand why people might think "Fuck him" but wouldn't that be a case of cutting the nose off to spite the face? Especially if we can absolutely bend Barcelona right over in  the process?

2 year loan, with significantly subsidised wages, with a view to a deal, but then fuck him off and collect our money from them anyway. It's the perfect storm.

• Upvote 3

Barcelona probably isn't quite what he imagined (fans are entitled cunts, Messi and that saying about not meeting your heroes), plus Liverpool certainly isn't the same team he left, so a lot has changed in 18 months, and he'd have to be amazingly naive to not realize that.

That there's now a Brazilian group of players at Anfield, would definitely be appealing to him on some level. Also, his starting level of popularity with the reds supporters, having left the team at a critical stage of the season, would be about on par with his standing with the Barcelona hanky wavers, where he's already won multiple trophies (but not the right ones, apparently).