You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other teams you go in Football Manager

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

I remember in the 80's playing this football manager game on the C64. 

You basically picked your team, formation and which players should start, they did have attributes and fitness levels, but that was it. You then watched a black and white screen as the scores updated. Rinse and repeat. Weirdly addictive at the time.  

I used to play 'Liverpool' on the Atari 800XL as a kid- it was written in BASIC and took a ridiculous amount of time to update the scores/ league table. Damn good squad though-

Liverpool atari screenshot

At Uni later on, we used to sneak into the computer labs and pull all nighters on Premier Manager 3 rather than doing our theses. I had Chester in a 75000 all seater stadium winning the league and European Cup every season...

I bought Championship Manager every year from about 99 to 2003 or so, but got a bit bored of it- it was too easy to exploit certain tactics, and once you'd bought up the recommended younger players, you'd piss the game every season. The only real challenge with playing other teams would be in getting the future superstars to join you.

My son plays the current Football Manager from time to time as Liverpool, but I can't be bothered with it these days as there's too many extraneous bits been added over the years and it can take hours to even get to the first game.

• Upvote 1

I play FM2015, and if you don't want the faffing around you get with the full-fat experience, there's a "Classic" mode which streamlines play so it's like older versions. I don't know if all the new FMs have it, but 15 definitely does.

3 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I play FM2015, and if you don't want the faffing around you get with the full-fat experience, there's a "Classic" mode which streamlines play so it's like older versions. I don't know if all the new FMs have it, but 15 definitely does.

I think it's Football Manager Touch these days, which you can also buy separately.

12 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Its on 14 that but I've never tried it. Might give it a go. I'm used to 14 now though even though I get my assistant to give the team talk unless I want to call them all cunts assertively. 

Playing fm19 and for other teams I like to go Liverpool & a lower league foreign club although it takes an age managing two clubs. I like managing in Germany and finally managed to get back to back promotions after a first season of missing out in the promotion playoff with Hansa Rostock but the team is so shite I was very lucky and my only saving grace is a few wonder kids I managed to attract. The problem is they will get bummed in the bundesliga as the squad in reality is 2. Bundesliga mid table quality and ill be nailed on to get sacked so haven’t been back to the save for months. 

In the first season my Liverpool team on the other hand Was top of the league all season final game against bottom of the league Huddersfield who had 12 points, Chelsea in 2nd (1 point behind) are playing against mid table Newcastle and spurs who are were still mathematically in it had a tough game against a good West Ham side but needed us both to drop points and hope for a 4 goals swing in the process the challenge compounded by their best players being injured. 

i go 1-0 up early and I want to win in style but my attacking line up quickly concede two on the break, Chelsea are winning. Second half I put everyone pretty much up front it was carnage we were cutting through them time and again only to be thwarted by save after save from their keeper. Time is running down but I check the scores and Chelsea are 2-1 down too. Trent gets a free kick from 25 yards and pops it into the top corner with 5 mins to go I’ve won it! I’m buzzing smiles all round, stress released, piss off the missus with my crowing about how amazing I am. Go the news items to bask in the glory of various legends telling me how I have joined the club legends. 

Only to see no such messages, there was an oversight I didn't check all the scores... spurs fucking spurs who had never even been on top once all season had won 5-0 and pipped me on fucking goal difference. I was in denial, angry, willing to bargain to get another shot - depressed before finally coming to acceptance.

My mental post match press conference on the shitter after the game was painful. I felt for the fans most of all their hopes had been built up and it was our duty to try and rebuild our confidence and try again next season. I was broken. 

Ive won the cl and league double in second season and another league title following that but that final game of the first season still haunts me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1