You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Need new laptop/tablet

Lee909

So laptop has finally fallen apart after 10 years. I bought a new one about a year ago but it was shite so i need something for work so I can watch sky/virgin apps, YouTube, Netflixs and amazon video. 

Not arsed about much else I use my phone for posting on here, and Twatter etc. 

Would rather keep it below £200(as low as possible but can go to £250 if needed. 

What's my best options

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, paddyberger said:

Kids going to be off school so need to pickup a new laptop so they can do the school work they've been assigned. I can't be doing with them fighting over it while I'm working from home. Got a budget of £500-600. please help.

Thanks all.

Been using Lenovo laptops for a good few years now and they've lasted a good while,both of them. My son has had a couple of lenovos too in around the same timeframe.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Been using Lenovo laptops for a good few years now and they've lasted a good while,both of them. My son has had a couple of lenovos too in around the same timeframe.

Same, Lenovos are very good, as are Dells.

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes, we use them for work and they are generally reliable. I was trying to get a 350 but non in stock in the various places I tried.

23 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

Definitely, very little in stores today.

Ended up with an Asus VivoBook. 

My last Asus lasted me about 7 or 8 years. It was pretty much just left on. 

Build quality on most laptops is pretty good these days though. Seems fairly standard to offer a 3 year warranty over here. 

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

My last Asus lasted me about 7 or 8 years. It was pretty much just left on. 

Build quality on most laptops is pretty good these days though. Seems fairly standard to offer a 3 year warranty over here. 

Seems decent enough, Ryzen 7, 8GB RAM and SSD. Shame no backlit keyboard but will definitely be good enough for what the kids will use it for.

I binned off Windows laptops with my last purchase and went for a Chromebook. I have to say the user experience is so much better. There’s no waiting around for it to boot up, it just gets left on and can be used instantly. Updates are instant and don’t require 5 minute reboots.

I absolutely love it. There are some limitations (the Sky Go app stopped working with it) but it’s perfect for my needs which are basically browsing the internet, downloading torrents, controlling Sonos and watching videos.

If that’s all you need your machine for then I highly recommend ChromeOS.

My model is the Google Pixelbook.

• 10 months later...
On 28/03/2020 at 11:23, Brownie said:

I binned off Windows laptops with my last purchase and went for a Chromebook. I have to say the user experience is so much better. There’s no waiting around for it to boot up, it just gets left on and can be used instantly. Updates are instant and don’t require 5 minute reboots.

I absolutely love it. There are some limitations (the Sky Go app stopped working with it) but it’s perfect for my needs which are basically browsing the internet, downloading torrents, controlling Sonos and watching videos.

If that’s all you need your machine for then I highly recommend ChromeOS.

My model is the Google Pixelbook.

How much was that mate? 

Sounds about exactly the same I use mine for. 

23 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You'd almost certainly need an external storage device of some kind as 64 Gb is tiny. Windows will probably take up a third of that.

As with anything it depends what you want to use it for but it almost seems to much for a simple laptop that isn't really capable of very much.

You can currently get 15% off at eBay so it's worth looking a bit higher and getting a discount. For example...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-V15-15-6-Full-HD-Laptop-AMD-Athlon-3050U-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-/402617946104

This would go down to £309.99 with 15% off using code PURCHASE15. Same memory, double disk space, almost identical processor (3050e vs 3050u), slightly larger screen,