You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Brewster will play an important role this season.

tlw content

Jurgen Klopp has identified young striker Rhian Brewster as a player to watch as we approach the upcoming season.

The Golden boot winner in the U/17 World Cup spent much of the 2018/9 season recovering from a serious knee and ankle injury, but he made the bench for the Champions League semi final second leg clash against Barcelona as well as the final against Tottenham.

Speaking on the first day of pre-season training, the manager said that the talented 19 year-old will get his fair share of opportunities in the first team this season, especially with a number of departures from the striking ranks in the last 12 months. 

The Liverpool Echo reported Klopp as saying:

“Rhian is a really big talent. 

"We’re really looking forward to seeing him in training and all that stuff. It will be an important role for us, we planned an important role for him. So, new player.

Klopp also mentioned a couple of other players who are in a similar boat.

"If Ox can stay fit – new player for us.

"Like Joe Gomez is pretty much a new player. Adam Lallana, new player.

"After a lot of problems last year, if these boys can really stay fit then that’s completely different to last year for the team because there is real quality. That’s cool.”

Klopp also spoke about his first summer signing Dutch defender Sepp van den Berg.

15616277337201.jpg

The Official site reported the German as saying:

"He is a big talent but a young boy and we already have a good team.

“He took the challenge, he really wanted to be part of this and I’m really happy for him.

"We make signings for immediately or for the future and it’s always about the boys, what they make of it. 

"The first impression here was really good and I’m happy to have him around."

The feeling is mutual for the young Dutchman who has enjoyed taking in his new surroundings.

"Everybody has been really nice to me, they all said ‘hi’ and helped me if I had any questions, so it feels a really nice place.

"Jürgen came to me when I walked in, too, so I’m really excited.

" I already feel really at home here and that’s a big thing for me. 

"I am just looking forward; I am going to train hard and hopefully I will play some minutes here."

View full article

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd trust Klopp to get the best out of, Brewster. If he thinks he can do an important job then we should trust him. I think people also need to read the line where Klopp says 'He's a young boy.' It doesn't mean we won't be buying anyone either. We still have just over a Month before the window closes on the 8th August. 

17 hours ago, The Guest said:

We aren’t signing anyone significant.  Just take it on the chin now.  Whinge about the owners or the transfer committee or whatever other bullshit keeps you happy.  This is exactly how Klopp wants it.

There is still a month to go before the season starts so no need to panic yet,Cpt. Mainwaring.

Seeing as I've stopped going to matches, don't have Sky any more (never had a sports package anyway) and the last merchandise I bought was a remaindered Warrior Sports shirt, I'm in no position to lecture anyone on how to spend Other People's Money.

Speaking of which, where's the summer fanzine @dave u? Chop chop! Avanti!

We will go with Milner/Gomez as left back cover.  Signing a player to “cover” just isn’t really Klopp’s style.  Nobody is challenging Robbo because he’s the best left back in the game.  Anyone that would be happy to sign knowing they would be playing about 5 games a season barring injury wouldn’t be worth the wages anyway.

Its the same for the forwards.  I imagine unless we come out of nowhere and make a big money signing them Klopp will make do with Brewster, Origi, Shaqiri, Keita, Ox, Lallana, Wilson and Gini as his cover there as well.  We won’t be signing a mid range player to sit on the bench.

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Isn’t that exactly what we did with Shaqiri?

Sort of.  I think he was one of those silly value signings where it was just a no brainer.  When I say mid range I mean a 30/40m.  I’d say that’s the level of Shaqiri but we wouldn’t have paid that for him either.  I actually think he was a club signing as well which is why Klopp doesn’t seem to have taken to him.  I think the club might think twice about doing it again.

I’m taking complete stabs in the dark here obviously but I think it’s more reasonable than some of the shite people are posting.  The way Klopp’s been since he arrived suggests he likes working with the players he’s got.  The way he spoke in the German doc about the club being forced to splash the cash suggests the club pretty much had to force the big signings on him.  They had to sell it to him that we couldn’t compete without them.  Now we’ve done a few and achieved what we did last season I reckon he will be happy to with what we’ve got again.

From people who have actually followed Brewster's progress, just how good is he?

I'm not expecting a young Michael Owen but if he could make a similar impact as Rashford has at the Mancs I'd be happy without signing anyone else.

F365 Says: Rhian Brewster is Liverpool’s Firmino-in-waiting…

“We brought them in already, only you don’t realise it,” beamed Jurgen Klopp when asked about the possibility of Liverpool making new signings this summer.

It’s a question he will be asked regularly in the coming weeks and you get the impression the answer will be similar each time; one which refers to a number of Liverpool players who missed much of last season through injury but are now back in the fold.

It’s normal for a player coming back from a long-term absence to be described as ‘like a new signing’. But this might not wash with many fans who recognise the need for strength in depth as they look to build on a campaign that was successful but still saw them fall short of Manchester City in the Premier League.

They do have Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana and Joe Gomez coming back to full fitness in time for the new season, but there is another new face yet to make a senior appearance who might genuinely fit the ‘like a new signing’ tag.

In January 2017 Klopp spoke of a “special kid” in the Liverpool academy but refused to name names so as not to put pressure on the youngster. The ‘special kid’ is thought to have been Rhian Brewster, the forward who moved from Chelsea to Liverpool aged 15. Today Klopp is not so coy when discussing the talented attacker, who is now 19 years old and ready for the first team.

When asked if Brewster’s pre-season performances needed to be played down, he replied: “Why should I play it down? I saw a really good game and Rhian is a fantastic player. That is the only thing I want to talk about.”

If Brewster is going to feature in the first team this season he will have to deal with the pressure of turning out for the European champions, and the Premier League’s last hope when it comes to challenging Manchester City’s dominance.

This is Klopp preparing his young player for that pressure by bigging up his pre-season displays, even if they were only against Tranmere Rovers and Bradford City.

But as long as he puts in a shift, Brewster may not be under too much pressure to hit the back of the net as often as other strikers in the league. This is because the centre-forward role at Liverpool is very specific and very, well, Roberto Firmino.

There are few if any players in world football who could replicate the Brazilian’s role for Liverpool, so it makes complete sense that Klopp has chosen to mould a promising young player waiting for a first-team chance rather than trawl the transfer market for a player who might be a bit like Firmno, but not quite.

And Brewster has had some time to work on this. Tactics in Liverpool’s youth and reserve sides mirror those in the first team, so for around three years he has been training to become the next Firmino.

In April 2017 Klopp said: “Rhian has made outstanding steps in the last few months. Because of the talent group training once a week in Melwood with Pep Lijnders, I can see them.

“I’ve known him for probably more than a year. A wonderful skilled boy, real striker, good finisher, fantastic work ethic, and all that stuff,” enthused the Liverpool manager.

The ‘talent group’ is exactly that – a selection of talented academy players invited to integrate with the first team. There was no doubt that Brewster was good enough for this group, and the club now have no doubts that he can make the next step.

The work ethic is also key, and by “all that stuff”, Klopp basically means the Firmino stuff.

Firmino accepts that he has to work for the team and allow players like Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah to push forward in Liverpool’s 4-3-3, which becomes more of a 4-4-2 diamond in attack with Firmino combining the roles of attacking midfielder and striker. It’s no coincidence that Salah and Mane tied for most goals in the Premier League last season; Firmino ploughs furrows and they reap the rewards.

Brewster will have to do the same, dropping deep to link play, working hard in defence, knowing when and where to press, and being versatile enough to operate in multiple positions if needed.

The trade-off is that regular goals are not expected, although they are of course nice and opportunities will arise to score them once the heavy lifting has been done. It could be the ideal situation for a young player to walk into: the pressure is off as long as you work hard and understand the tactics.

Born in London, Brewster moved north as he didn’t see a path to the first team at Chelsea. At Liverpool the opportunity is there, but you have to be good and you have to fit Klopp’s plan. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Gomez are the most recent success stories, and they have paved a way for academy players such as Brewster and young new signings such as centre-back Sepp van den Berg.

Liverpool fans still recognise the need for a new attacking signing for the first team – someone who can play wide and centrally, someone with pace, and someone who can step in should the unthinkable happen and one of Salah or Mane pick up an injury.

Given the amount of football the pair have played during the past few years (Mane’s summer break is yet to begin as he’s still with Senegal at the Africa Cup of Nations) they will definitely need a rest at some point in the new campaign. That pacy, inventive, back-up wide forward doesn’t exist in Liverpool’s current squad – unless they suddenly decide Harry Wilson is good enough – so it’s here they’ll need an actual new signing rather than ‘like a new signing’.

But when it comes to their Firmino alternative they might just have a homegrown, home-made solution, and Klopp has already spoken of his plans for the teenager.

“Rhian Brewster is a top striker,” said the German. “He has an important role this year, but how important? It depends on him, and we’ll see. He has to play different positions because the centre is OK, wing is possible, and then we will see how we can line up. There will be opportunities for him, I’m really sure.”

Many before Brewster have been given chances and failed, but thanks to the work of Klopp and Lijnders – and the links between first team and academy – young players are now better prepared to bridge the gap to the elite.

Brewster already has Champions League and (U-17) World Cup medals, but the biggest honour yet would be for him to don the red shirt and make his first senior appearance for Liverpool.

https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-rhian-brewster-is-liverpools-firmino-in-waiting