You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Fruity Thread.

Guest Pistonbroke

Guest Pistonbroke

No you pervs, not smut, but a thread all about Fruit. I don't think we have one and believe the delicious stuff deserves a thread of its own.  

Recipes, exotic stuff or just local or self grown fruit. Tips on growing etc. 

We have three apple, two pear trees in our garden and goosegog bushes. The fruit that the trees bare is not that much kop though, plenty of it but not what you'd like to eat straight from the tree. Gooseberries are fine though. Any old recipes anybody knows of for all three, especially the Gooseberries. I'm sick of making Pies, Puree's and Compote's. 

We also had two plum trees but cut those pain in the arse wasp attracting bastards down. The fruit would cover the lawn and I've been stung loads of times whilst raking the fallen fruit together. Also was a pain in the arse in BBQ weather as a squadron of stingy bastards attacked everything in sight. Since we got rid of the plum Trees we hardly see any wasps now. 

Seriously thinking of getting a Cherry Tree but I bet that will just tempt the wasps back? It's amazing how tastes change over the years, I never really gave a fuck about Cherries but love them now. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Bjornebye said:

Nice of you to come out. 

Anyway I reckon it will be page 2 before this turns into a full blown war over the tomato being a fruit or a vegetable. 

Oh and fruit is ace. Watermelon being my personal fave. 

Bought a Honey Melon today, which is one of my favourites. Nectarines are also lush. Made a nice plate of Fruit Salad which gave me the idea to give 'Fruit' its own place in TLW history. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Top 5 fruits

1. Aubergine

2. Tomato

3. Strawberries 

4. Pineapple (not on pizza!)

5. Kiwi

Yeah, Aubergine is also classed as a fruit. I like it in a Moussaka or Baked and filled with cheese (preferably Feta) and minced meat. 

I'd probably say my 5 favourite fruits at the moment are. 

Cherries

Honey Melon

Nectarines

Pears

Mango

Fucking love fruit, me. Grow plenty in the garden too, the last week has seen an abundance of strawberries, they're so, so good. We also grow currants, honey berries, blueberries (sensational when home grown), goji berries and have apple, pear, plum, cherry and mulberry trees. The mulberry is my pet project, I've had it 3 years but they take 7 years before they start producing fruit. Usually they grow as a bush but I've been obsessed with training a tree since seeing them line the streets in Portland, OR. So I've been growing it in a pot, training it, pruning it and potting it up carefully, ready for it to go in a tree-pit in the ground in the next couple of years.

We get an organic fruit box delivered once a fortnight from a local greengrocers, it almost always has apples and bananas but the range of stuff we get is amazing.

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Fucking love fruit, me. Grow plenty in the garden too, the last week has seen an abundance of strawberries, they're so, so good. We also grow currants, honey berries, blueberries (sensational when home grown), goji berries and have apple, pear, plum, cherry and mulberry trees. The mulberry is my pet project, I've had it 3 years but they take 7 years before they start producing fruit. Usually they grow as a bush but I've been obsessed with training a tree since seeing them line the streets in Portland, OR. So I've been growing it in a pot, training it, pruning it and potting it up carefully, ready for it to go in a tree-pit in the ground in the next couple of years.

We get an organic fruit box delivered once a fortnight from a local greengrocers, it almost always has apples and bananas but the range of stuff we get is amazing.

I've heard Cherry trees are pretty easy to bring along, is that the case? Seriously tempted as you also get the added advantage of the Spring blossom. 

Can't eat as much anymore being diabetic and it pisses me off. 

Tips

In the winter by a load of clementines, satsumas etc. 

Peel sand get rid of pith. 

Lay down thick tinfoil to make a bowl shaoe

Put segments in bowl

Add winter spices and honey

Splash of alcohol optional

Throw on hot coals in bbq or in oven

In the summer

Get pineapple

Soak in juice, Rum and honey

Reduce the marinade to thick syrup

Coat pineapple 

Grill over coals or in pan

Add to icecream

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Lee909 said:

Colombian fruit

Pretty nice them, good dipped in chocolate 

Our son likes them, charge an arm and a leg for them over here mind. 

Fresh watermelon in India was by far the best I've had. Grow everywhere in goa, sold at the roadside. Grow massive over there, not like the shite in shops here. Make a great refreshing juice and cost about a £1 over there, and that's the price charged to tourists