You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi vs Ronaldo

Baltar

Who's better?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

Guest Pistonbroke

Ronaldo has done it at different clubs and indeed for his country. Messi is the better all round player, yet hasn't played away from a very good Barcelona team or turned it on for Argentina. They are both special players and it's very close, I'd have to give the nod to Ronaldo (spits) because Messi gut bummed by Robbo and VVD. I don't like either player to be honest. Ronaldo is a preening greasy tumbler and Messi is a whining snide bastard who loves to dive about as well. Fuck em...but still admire their talent. 

Tough call.

Messi has been with Barcelona for so long while CR7(tm) has had several different clubs where he has been the main man.

Club Trophies wise they both have a shitload, and have scored so many goals it’s not worth arguing about really.

Internationally, Ronaldo has had more of an effect on his national team than Messi and has lifted more trophies (2) than Messi.

Ronaldo has played for united.

Messi stooped low calling Milner a donkey, and trying to wind up Robbo.

Both are twats when things don’t go their way and aren’t averse to skullduggery.

Ronaldo just shades it for me (don’t believe I’ve just said that, but there you go).

Messi is almost too good for his own good. Sometimes you watch Argentina and Barca and even though they have really talented players they all seem to defer to Messi to a fault and the attacking play ends up solely revolving on him. 

Ronaldo on the other hand has just been burying chances for the past 5 years and doing basically nothing else. It's worked better for him in the end than it has for Messi, despite the latter doing more for his team. 

In a fist fight I'd like to see them both go down in the first round. Then see which of the two get up again. That player would then be the winner of this poll.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Messi is almost too good for his own good. Sometimes you watch Argentina and Barca and even though they have really talented players they all seem to defer to Messi to a fault and the attacking play ends up solely revolving on him. 

Ronaldo on the other hand has just been burying chances for the past 5 years and doing basically nothing else. It's worked better for him in the end than it has for Messi, despite the latter doing more for his team. 

I don't know how you can say it's worked better for Ronaldo than Messi really.

Messi has scored more, assisted more and his team have won more trophies.  Ronaldo did win more Champions Leagues with Madrid though.

Also the European Championship when Portugal squeaked through in third place from the shittest group in the tournament, won one whole match in normal time in the entire competition and Ronaldo barely played in the final.

Using international success as a barometer is pretty ridiculous really, but in this case it's really ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I don't know how you can say it's worked better for Ronaldo than Messi really.

Messi has scored more, assisted more and his team have won more trophies.  Ronaldo did win more Champions Leagues with Madrid though.

Also the European Championship when Portugal squeaked through in third place from the shittest group in the tournament, won one whole match in normal time in the entire competition and Ronaldo barely played in the final.

Using international success as a barometer is pretty ridiculous really, but in this case it's really ridiculous.

Ronaldo has surpassed Messi at winning stuff and for many that's all that matters. Rightly or wrongly, recency bias will make it so Messi's average tally in the second half of the 2010's and poor performances with Argentina are what people will remember, while Ronaldo has been collecting consecutive Champions Leagues and has started winning trophies with Portugal.

That's why Ronaldo is even in this conversation to begin with because if you just watch them play it should be no contest. 

• Upvote 1