You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2018/19 Season Report Card - Roberto Firmino

tlw content

Maybe it’s just me, and this might be an unpopular view, but I never felt like Bobby fully got going this season. He was good, but he only reached the heights of the 17/18 season in fits and starts. 

You know his attitude and commitment is always going to be there, but I felt like he suffered early in the season, initially from not having much of a break over the summer, and then from Klopp changing the system to 4-2-3-1.

Bobby as a number nine in the front three is brilliant. I wouldn’t swap him for any centre forward in the world. Genuinely, there’s no-one I’d rather have. He’s perfect for how we play and is vitally important in so many aspects of our game. 

Bobby in any other role though just isn’t as effective. With Klopp using Salah up top and Firmino behind, it just never looked right to me. It never looks right when Bobby goes out wide either, although his phenomenal work ethic does make us stronger defensively than when Mo is out there.

I quite liked the tactic of switching them over late in games when we had a lead, but I’m not keen on us starting that way.

To me, Bobby is just not the same when he isn’t the number nine and the fulcrum of our attack. He sets the tone and everyone plays off him. When he wasn’t in that role we still got results because we’re a great team, but it wasn’t as free flowing as last season.

firmino1_600.jpg

Firmino still had his moments, with a late winner against PSG and a hat-trick at home to Arsenal the obvious highlights, but in general this year’s Bobby wasn’t as dynamite as last year’s Bobby. 

He got off to a slow start and prior to that hat-trick against Arsenal on Dec 29 he had only scored six goals. While his contribution to the team can’t simply be measured in goals *cough* Harry Kane *cough*, six goals in 26 games isn’t what you’d expect, especially after how many he scored the season before.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note, 'Season Report Cards' are only be available to TLW subscribers. Subscriptions are just £2 per month and can be purchased here.

Agree with that assessment. Neither he nor Mo found their real form consistently last season and I remember we all spent the first few months waiting for them to click like the previous season. It happened in fits and starts but luckily Mane stepped up to fill the breach. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Not really worried about Alisson so much. A few weeks off should sort him out as his fatigue will be mental rather than physical. It's the tired legs of the forward lads that concerns me as they've played solidly for two years now with virtually no break.

We've been lucky so far with them not getting injured much, but this year it could catch up with them (and us).

• dave u unpinned this topic

Agree with a lot there, Firmino was biggest victim of Klopp switching systems, Bobby was pulled all over the place often in game, glad we’ve gone back to 17/18 template, never liked Mo centrally or Bobby fucking around on the wing or in the 10. Boss player, boss personality but definitely need more goals out of him, should be looking for 20+ from Bobby next season.