You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wimbledon 2019

Bjornebye

Only watched the last 90 mins but what a match. Nobody deserves to lose that. 

Federer has to be one of the greatest sportsman of all time. Just beaten by a man in his prime years. 

5 bloody hours of constant mental pressure. Nuts

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

Be interesting to see who has the most slams once they've all retired.

My money's on Djokovic.

Yeah, he's what 4 behind and only 32. 

Federer, Nadal and Murray not really there to stop him soon

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah, he's what 4 behind and only 32. 

Federer, Nadal and Murray not really there to stop him soon

To surpass Federer and Nadal would be some achievement. Got to feel a bit for Andy Murray, he was born into the worst possible era but still achieved great things.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

To surpass Federer and Nadal would be some achievement. Got to feel a bit for Andy Murray, he was born into the worst possible era but still achieved great things.

Im not a massive tennis fan by any means but this has to be the greatest 10-15 years in tennis history in terms of quality. How often have them 4 put on 4/5 hour matches. 

The must be the fittest sportsmen alive, both physically and mentally 

• 11 months later...
7 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Seeing  all those  classic matches on the Beeb this week made me realise I don’t fucking miss that Wimbledon crowd 

Just watched the Murray thing and then the Sue Barker documentary. Love a bit of Wimbledon. Thought they were ace.... 

17 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

A day at Wimbledon is one of the best things to do each summer. Going to take my old dear if it’s back on next year, do the queuing up thing. Just a nice way to spend a day.

Yeah mate. My mum loves Wimbledon. She isn't arsed about any other sport, even the football she is only happy if me and our kid are. She loves the tennis though. Pat Cash and Goran Ivanisevic her favourites now its Nadal. Unfortunately looks like she won't make next Wimbledon but was nice to message her through that Sue Barker thing earlier. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, KMD7 said:

Still can't get my head around how Federer threw away that final last year.  Think that was his last chance of a GS. 

Mate. That genuinely sat with me for days like we’d lost a european final. Absolutely gutted by that. I was watching it live on my phone in a little restaurant in Greece and just slunk home afterwards, sulking. Think it’s also cos that was almost certainly the key match in Djokovic now one day ending up with more GS trophies than him. And as is now surely widely known by everyone, Djokovic is an absolute fucking bellend.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I was gutted he lost that last year but the Cricket was on and epic as it finished so I got over it quickly. Federer is the greatest ever. 

Forgot about that! That was an insane afternoon of sport. It was on the telly in the same restaurant so watching both at once. I’m not a cricket man so get the two epic wins last summer mixed up. Was this one the champagne supernova one? Literally the last ball winner?

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

Mate. That genuinely sat with me for days like we’d lost a european final. Absolutely gutted by that. I was watching it live on my phone in a little restaurant in Greece and just slunk home afterwards, sulking. Think it’s also cos that was almost certainly the key match in Djokovic now one day ending up with more GS trophies than him. And as is now surely widely known by everyone, Djokovic is an absolute fucking bellend.

I had a chat about it with my brother after. We're both huge Fed fans. He came up with a good point. Fed for all his talent and achievements is mentally not as strong as Novak or Nadal.  I had to agree. No way does Novak or Nadal lose from that position. It's why i think Novak and Nadal will eventually overtake him.  Still the greatest pure player in my eyes though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Forgot about that! That was an insane afternoon of sport. It was on the telly in the same restaurant so watching both at once. I’m not a cricket man so get the two epic wins last summer mixed up. Was this one the champagne supernova one? Literally the last ball winner?

Yeah mate. I don't support England in any other sport really but can get on-board for the Ashes and World Cups. Unreal though, I'd been home that few weeks so had absorbed myself with Tennis and Cricket. Was on my knees in the living room when England won it, much to her disgust as you can expect.

You try explaining how a final set tie-break works in Wimbledon then a cricket super-over straight afterwards to a semi-irittated, disinterested split-arse with a hangover who's already fuming that your about 7 cans and half a bottle of Malbec deep. 

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah mate. My mum loves Wimbledon. She isn't arsed about any other sport, even the football she is only happy if me and our kid are. She loves the tennis though. Pat Cash and Goran Ivanisevic her favourites now its Nadal. Unfortunately looks like she won't make next Wimbledon but was nice to message her through that Sue Barker thing earlier. 

Goran was great to watch at times, and you could tell he gave a fuck. There have been more talented players down the years who haven't given it their all (Marcelo Rios and Nick Kyrgios to name but two) and others who aren't as good but are completely not arsed (Bernard Tomic). Goran could veer from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of two points. Was pleased when he finally won Wimbledon as a wild card in 2001 (Henman fucked up his own chances of reaching a Grand Slam final by getting into net-hitting double-faulting come-on-Tim! mode when the semi final was in his hands). A shame that it came at the expense of Pat Rafter though, because he was a great player to watch and one of the nicest players in the game.

8 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I had a chat about it with my brother after. We're both huge Fed fans. He came up with a good point. Fed for all his talent and achievements is mentally not as strong as Novak or Nadal.  I had to agree. No way does Novak or Nadal lose from that position. It's why i think Novak and Nadal will eventually overtake him.  Still the greatest pure player in my eyes though. 

Interesting point mate. To speculate a step further, perhaps because the other two have that thing were they’ve had to scrap and fight inch by inch by inch to gradually come up to his level and get where they have in competing with him on level terms.

Not that he hasn’t put phenomenal amounts of work in too. But with such outrageous natural talent, perhaps there’s just that % or 2 difference in that aspect which can make the difference in tight matches between them. Who knows.

Agree on the ability though. I was a huge Agassi man for many years, but Roger is the greatest ever talent for me too, and I doubt we’ll be lucky enough to see anyone challenge that status in the next 50 years. Got to see him play live at Wimbledon last year and was more or less literally fucking purring throughout.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Goran was great to watch at times, and you could tell he gave a fuck. There have been more talented players down the years who haven't given it their all (Marcelo Rios and Nick Kyrgios to name but two) and others who aren't as good but are compltely not arsed (Bernard Tomic). Goran could veer from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of two points. Was pleased when he finally won Wimbledon as a wild card in 2001 (Henman fucked up his own chances of reaching a Grand Slam final by getting into net-hitting double-faulting come-on-Tim! mode when the semi final was in his hands). A shame that it came at the expense of Pat Rafter though, because he was a great player to watch and one of the nicest players in the game.

Oh mate the Goran stuff was a fairy-tale throughout his career. Genuinely decent bloke as well and one of the hardest servers of the ball you could ever see. Sampras dominated his era though or he might have won more. Rafter was a great too. 

10 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Interesting point mate. To speculate a step further, perhaps because the other two have that thing were they’ve had to scrap and fight inch by inch by inch to gradually come up to his level and to get where they have.

Not that he hasn’t put phenomenal amounts of work in too. But with such outrageous natural talent, perhaps there’s just that % or 2 difference in that aspect which can make the difference. Who knows.

Agree on the ability though. I was a huge Agassi man for many years, but Roger is the greatest ever talent for me too, and I doubt we’ll be lucky enough to see anyone challenge that status in the next 50 years.  

I love Federer but it was out of order on Roddick when he had a jacket with (can't remember if it was 6 or 7) already sewn before he had even won. 

1 minute ago, Dr Nowt said:

Interesting point mate. To speculate a step further, perhaps because the other two have that thing were they’ve had to scrap and fight inch by inch by inch to gradually come up to his level and to get where they have.

Not that he hasn’t put phenomenal amounts of work in too. But with such outrageous natural talent, perhaps there’s just that % or 2 difference in that aspect which can make the difference. Who knows.

Absolutely agree on the above mate. I quite like Nadal and used to like Novak till recent events. As Stig says with regards to Fed, you never know with the greats , who knows, he might surprise us one more time