You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who would you rather see get back together, The Smiths or The Jam?

Bjornebye

The Smiths or The Jam?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths or The Jam?

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I like all stuff. Old, new, fast, slow, weird, simple, obscure, mainstream, whatever. What I can’t do is just listen to about ten to twenty artists constantly. It blows my mind how many people who consider themselves music fans actually don’t listen to that much music. There is so much out there, it’s almost literally incredible. And loads of that stuff is really fucking great. Got to keep listening to find it though. 

I don't consider myself a music fan per se,I just like listening to music ocassionally. Like Tony,I am comfortable listening to what I like without scouting around listening to piles of shite before finding a couple I like. Music is sort of a background to my life rather than a main part of it.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't consider myself a music fan per se,I just like listening to music ocassionally. Like Tony,I am comfortable listening to what I like without scouting around listening to piles of shite before finding a couple I like. Music is sort of a background to my life rather than a main part of it.

I don’t listen to piles of shite in order to find great music. I listen to what is simply background music and then great music jumps out.

For someone who’s apparently not arsed about music, you’ve certainly got plenty to say about it. 

• Upvote 3

On 05/07/2019 at 19:42, Paul said:

I don’t listen to piles of shite in order to find great music. I listen to what is simply background music and then great music jumps out.

For someone who’s apparently not arsed about music, you’ve certainly got plenty to say about it. 

So because I am not a music hipster I cannot have a view on it? A very strange opinion. Just to get back to the actual topic of the thread,I actually did listen to a lot of music when these two bands were around as I was a teenager at the time. You seem to get very defensive over musical tastes though.

Guest Pistonbroke
17 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Can't believe Boss is calling Vlad and Paul overrated as fuck. 

Boss just likes to be different, more of a junior supervisor than a Boss. 

47 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Boss just likes to be different, more of a junior supervisor than a Boss. 

Used to have a supervisor that I just insisted was a visor. 

After about 6 months of it my colleague asked me if it was just because he wasn't particularly super at his job. 

No, it's because he's a bit of a helmet. 

• Upvote 2

The Smith's were shite. Morrisey is a fucking dickhead and Marr was nowhere near as good as the people who bum up to him have you believe. There's nothing special about Jonny Marr's guitar playing. He's lauded for playing an E chord with a capo on the second fret and using a tremelo. Occasionally - instead of strumming a chord - he plays the individual notes. Wow, what a genius!

They also inspired a legion of absolute dickheads, walking around with NHS prescription glasses and flowers in their back pockets. "Let's go write a 19th century poem, and when we're finished, we can kick a beer can around a puddle and contemplate our Northern malaise". Nonsense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

The Smith's were shite. Morrisey is a fucking dickhead and Marr was nowhere near as good as the people who bum up to him have you believe. There's nothing special about Jonny Marr's guitar playing. He's lauded for playing an E chord with a capo on the second fret and using a tremelo. Occasionally - instead of strumming a chord - he plays the individual notes. Wow, what a genius!

They also inspired a legion of absolute dickheads, walking around with NHS prescription glasses and flowers in their back pockets. "Let's go write a 19th century poem, and when we're finished, we can kick a beer can around a puddle and contemplate our Northern malaise". Nonsense.

Of all the stupid posts you have put on here that is the fucking emperor. 

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't know enough about playing a guitar to rate Johnny Marr but it seems he has the respect of his peers and that's high praise indeed. As for Morrissey being a prick then I might give you that one.

Morrissey is a massive prick. Johnny Marr seems a proper sound fella though. Saw him live a few years back and anyone saying he is nothing special on the guitar is chatting out of their arse or clearly hasn't seen him. 

45 minutes ago, Boss said:

Negged. Never understood why people feel the need to say bands and stuff are shite simply because they aren’t to their tastes. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Boss said:

You should probably listen to The Headmaster Ritual, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, the Peel Session version of This Charming Man and all of Mind Bomb by The The.  

Putting aside the technical proficiency, which I wouldn't describe as "shite", it's the way he makes the songs come alive and the perfect chemistry he has bouncing off Morrissey's vocal melodies.  He knows when to keep it simple. 

Still, I've pity repped you for being so astoundingly wrong that you can't enjoy that type of music for what it is. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, TK421 said:

You should probably listen to The Headmaster Ritual, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, the Peel Session version of This Charming Man and all of Mind Bomb by The The.  

Putting aside the technical proficiency, which I wouldn't describe as "shite", it's the way he makes the songs come alive and the perfect chemistry he has bouncing off Morrissey's vocal melodies.  He knows when to keep it simple. 

Still, I've pity repped you for being so astoundingly wrong that you can't enjoy that type of music for what it is. 

It depends what you define as technical proficiency. Instead of strumming chords he plays them as single notes. He omits certain notes and then adds some 7’s and 9’s here and there as flourishes. Will Sergeant does the same thing (to much better effect) and never gets anywhere near the acclaim. If it wasn’t for Noel Gallagher showing up on all these TV shows and bumming up to him like he’s Jimi Hendrix, no-one would give a fuck.