You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who would you rather see get back together, The Smiths or The Jam?

Bjornebye

The Smiths or The Jam?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths or The Jam?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Maybe he did,but the music was largely shite.

To be honest, I’m not familiar with all of their music, but off the top of my head “Walls Come Tumbling Down”, Shout to the Top, and “You’re the Best Thing” are boss. As with all these music threads though, it’s entirely subjective.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

To be honest, I’m not familiar with all of their music, but off the top of my head “Walls Come Tumbling Down”, Shout to the Top, and “You’re the Best Thing” are boss. As with all these music threads though, it’s entirely subjective.

“You’re The Best Thing” is The Style Council.

I expected better from you Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I always insist that the Style Council were absolute wank. All of those songs are magnificent though. 

I think it's like Big Audio Dynamite after the  Clash. It's fucking great like but... 

11 hours ago, cloggypop said:

I always insist that the Style Council were absolute wank. All of those songs are magnificent though. 

I think it's like Big Audio Dynamite after the  Clash. It's fucking great like but... 

when i was growing up i hated the style council, but i think because it represented the break up of the jam. but when weller came back as a solo artist in the mid 90's, i started to go back to the style council stuff and really liked it. weller bores the shit out of me now mind. 

13 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I'd say two of those are decent but not a patch on anything the Jam did. Long Hot Summer makes me want to drown puppies!

48 minutes ago, Ben Sherman said:

Weller's solo stuff has mostly been brilliant as were the Style Council. Confessions of a pop group was shit though. 

It wasn’t. Changing of the Guard and It’s A Very Deep Sea are incredible songs. The Style Council were an amazing band. The issue with them is precisely the point Barry made: they weren’t The Jam. 

36 minutes ago, Paul said:

It wasn’t. Changing of the Guard and It’s A Very Deep Sea are incredible songs. The Style Council were an amazing band. The issue with them is precisely the point Barry made: they weren’t The Jam. 

The reason I didn't like was that I hate the type of boring pop stuff they mostly did. I like the up tempo stuff the Jam mostly did and hated the slow stuff the Style Council mostly did. The lyrics might have been deep etc but unless you tie them to a good melody they don't work,in my view.

11 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

when i was growing up i hated the style council, but i think because it represented the break up of the jam. but when weller came back as a solo artist in the mid 90's, i started to go back to the style council stuff and really liked it. weller bores the shit out of me now mind. 

Is right 

Crazy I know but I find it quite easy to enjoy songs by artists without having to know much about them. It's almost as if I'm not allowing who they are or what they are to prejudice my feelings for their work. Or it could just be that some of the stuff is quite catchy and I like it, I don't know.