You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who would you rather see get back together, The Smiths or The Jam?

Bjornebye

The Smiths or The Jam?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths or The Jam?

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fucking ace.

Though Paul has moved on to True Meanings, the notion of social change and the creation of a better society remains an issue close to his heart. He has been dismayed by the rise of the alt-right, by Donald Trump, Brexit and casual xenophobia and racism.

“I’m not having any of that at all, mate. But I like the multi-cultural thing. Where I live in London, it’s very much like that and it’s like being in a bubble where I live because it’s very, very mixed and generally speaking people get on really well so maybe you do get a false vision of what’s going on, you know? Nevertheless, whether it’s real or false, that’s how we should be.”

https://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/music/2018/08/24/paul-weller-talks-ahead-of-his-gig-in-birmingham/

The Jam shaped my life but I would hate to see them reform. Would never happy anyway but as Weller said, he wanted them to mean something and mot end up like all the other groups who went on and on. A band called Malice are a fantastic tribute act and From the Jam are a good night out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Never been into either of them , but of what of I’ve heard over the years I’ll have to agree with you for sure as The Smiths seem like a load of cack .

Christ, contender for most misguided post of 2019.

The Smiths don't have a bad song in their back catalogue which is remarkable really. 

I love both bands and would hate to see either reform - they're done, their time has been and gone. Best left in the past. Never go back. 

20 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The Smiths don't have a bad song in their back catalogue which is remarkable really. 

I love both bands and would hate to see either reform - they're done, their time has been and gone. Best left in the past. Never go back. 

I’ll take your word for that , did I spell cack wrong? Each to their own I suppose though yeah that time has been and gone and best left .

I've never bought into the "depressing" tag appended to The Smiths.  Songs such as Cemetery Gates and There Is a Light That Never Goes Out are uplifting to me, especially in terms of the guitar and vocal melodies, but also in respect of some of the lyrics.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The Smiths have plenty of shite in their back catalogue and I think Johnny Marr's musical arrangement was far better than the shite Morrisey often spouted. The Jam have very few poor songs,there are some,but an immense back catalogue of great tunes.