You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Plug switches

Pureblood

Plug switches  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Plug switches

• Leave them on
    • Switch them off when not in use

If I remember to then I'll normally switch them off. Like if it crosses my mind but in reality its not something I give a flying fuck about daily. Got bigger fish to fry like who has hung the bog roll up wrong and who the fuck stuffs tea-towels into a draw instead of folding them first. 

I turn the toaster off, as I don't trust it. It's the shifty little weasel of the kitchen, always reserving the right to force you into popping the toast back down because it's inexplicably under done. Ours is an uneasy alliance.

The kettle, on the other hand, is Mr Dependable, so he stays on, and wears it like a little red badge of honour.

The TV and other things are inanimate objects, I'm not a weirdo.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Quite a few appliances can't be switched off, Fridge/freezer, Alarm clocks if you actually want to use the function you bought it for, Modem/phone etc. I have most things running through multi socket extensions with a surge protector anyway, those which can be switched off when not using are.  

Guest Pistonbroke

Normal Electric Kettles and Toasters don't have a phantom load anyway. I just leave them plugged in, waste of time unplugging/switching them off. PC monitors/DVD players/TV's/Printers/Game consoles/Speaker systems/Lap tops and especially Set top boxes (Sky/Cable etc) do have a phantom load, so they get switched off. As I said above, I have batches of them plugged into multi socket extensions with a surge protector. One click to switch them all off is hardly a pain in the arse, plus they stay switched off unless I need to use them. 

37 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Phil Buckle is a wanker.

EDIT:  But wait!  Buckle, you legend.

Is it dangerous to leave the power turned on if there’s no plug in the socket?

No. “Sockets are designed to just be there,” Buckle says.