You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glastonbury 2019

Mook

Brilliant festival. En route home from a post-festival decompression session in Cornwall... The Cure were brilliant. I really enjoyed all of the the neo jazz bands we saw; Kamasi Washington, The Comet is Coming, Swindle, and Ezra Collective. Mrs viRdjilia really loved Wu Tang. NYC Downlow within Block 9 is the best nightclub I’ve ever been to in the world. Near perfect weather all weekend and great vibes all around. 

• Upvote 4

That was about my sixth one and probably my last I think.  Getting too old and my feet and legs can’t handle it.

I understand people’s points on the killers and I’ve seen them live before where they were just okay.  They were great on the weekend though. The covers at the end were fantastic and he’s a great frontman.  I wanted to avoid Stormzy so went to watch Interpol in the John Peel.  We got there for the band before them called Pale Waves.  I had no idea who they were but they were great.  I’ve listened to them since and they sound very different live.

We went to see the Courteeners as well.  I love them but I think they’re quite a marmite band.  If you know their songs then they’re a great sing a long band.  They should be a lot bigger than they are but because they aren’t their songs aren’t well known and it means people just don’t understand what’s great about them.  Gerry Cinnamon is an absolute force.  I would have liked him to have been on the Pyramid because he would have pulled in silly numbers like he did at the John Peel but the John Peel gave his gig a better atmosphere.  The sound quality was shite for the streets but I was too busy singing all the lyrics myself anyway.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

That was about my sixth one and probably my last I think.  Getting too old and my feet and legs can’t handle it.

I understand people’s points on the killers and I’ve seen them live before where they were just okay.  They were great on the weekend though. The covers at the end were fantastic and he’s a great frontman.  I wanted to avoid Stormzy so went to watch Interpol in the John Peel.  We got there for the band before them called Pale Waves.  I had no idea who they were but they were great.  I’ve listened to them since and they sound very different live.

We went to see the Courteeners as well.  I love them but I think they’re quite a marmite band.  If you know their songs then they’re a great sing a long band.  They should be a lot bigger than they are but because they aren’t their songs aren’t well known and it means people just don’t understand what’s great about them.  Gerry Cinnamon is an absolute force.  I would have liked him to have been on the Pyramid because he would have pulled in silly numbers like he did at the John Peel but the John Peel gave his gig a better atmosphere.  The sound quality was shite for the streets but I was too busy singing all the lyrics myself anyway.

Quite like Pale Waves in a guilty pleasure kind of way but they're basically a Manc version of Paramore brought up on Joy Division and early 80's Cure.

11 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Watched the Lizzo set; thought she was brilliant. 

Blame it on her juice, baby.

Agreed, a whole load of fun. I've listened to the album a couple of times since, too. Nowhere near my usual taste but it's addictively upbeat.

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Quite like Pale Waves in a guilty pleasure kind of way but they're basically a Manc version of Paramore brought up on Joy Division and early 80's Cure.

I’ve been getting into Pale Waves the last few weeks but after a few songs the singers vocal technique gets on the nerves a bit.

Pop band marketed as goths really.

Currently watching The Cures set for the first time and they absolutely nailed it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Juniper said:

I’ve been getting into Pale Waves the last few weeks but after a few songs the singers vocal technique gets on the nerves a bit.

Pop band marketed as goths really.

Currently watching The Cures set for the first time and they absolutely nailed it.

Agree with all that.

Just catching up on some of the full sets off the iPlayer that didn’t make the main broadcasts last weekend. Really enjoyed both The Comet Is Coming and Ezra Collective. Got more jazz lined up too with Kamasi Washington and Sons of Kemet. Then going to check Loyle Carner, Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra, Octavian, Rex Orange County and Little Simz. 

Cannot for the life of me understand people who don’t love the BBC. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Just catching up on some of the full sets off the iPlayer that didn’t make the main broadcasts last weekend. Really enjoyed both The Comet Is Coming and Ezra Collective. Got more jazz lined up too with Kamasi Washington and Sons of Kemet. Then going to check Loyle Carner, Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra, Octavian, Rex Orange County and Little Simz. 

Check out Swindle. Never heard of them before but they were great! Had to walk past West Holts on our way back from the compost toilets, and they sounded so good so we stayed til the end of their set.

Glastonbury, Swindle - Live at Glastonbury: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07d63yk via @bbciplayer

1 hour ago, Paul said:

It's a broad church.  From great comedy, documentaries and Glastonbury coverage to political bias, questionable jingoism, Royal arse-licking and harbouring institutional child abuse.

I love the good parts and wish fire-death on the rest.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Check out Swindle. Never heard of them before but they were great! Had to walk past West Holts on our way back from the compost toilets, and they sounded so good so we stayed til the end of their set.

Glastonbury, Swindle - Live at Glastonbury: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07d63yk via @bbciplayer

Saw him live in Manchester earlier this year mate. Was a bit disappointed with his Glastonbury set as he used recordings of a number of the vocals. I get he couldn’t get all the guests there, but why not use others for their verses?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

It's a broad church.  From great comedy, documentaries and Glastonbury coverage to political bias, questionable jingoism, Royal arse-licking and harbouring institutional child abuse.

I love the good parts and wish fire-death on the rest.  

Yeah. I love the good parts too but tend to just ignore or avoid the bits I don’t like. I guess that’s the nature of the Reithian beast: when it tries to provide something for everyone, there’ll be highs and lows. 

• Like 1