You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jun 22-28 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Jun 22:

United’s move for Harry Maguire is in danger because another club has entered the race and are willing to offer him 280k a week. That other club? Man City. Of course, oui. Their wage bill is less than ours though, remember. I hope this is true because outside of Paul Pogba he’s the most over-rated player in the league. 

I’m not saying he’s shit, but the hype doesn’t match the player. He’s be great for United, where he’ll get more protection from the midfield and full backs, but City’s defenders face the same challenge ours do. They’re left isolated a lot and defend high up the pitch. Our forwards would fucking destroy him, so I hope this happens.

Mind you, if Kompany has left behind his ‘get out of jail free card’ it won’t matter anyway as he’ll just hack them down without punishment. Wait, he’s already got one of those cards of his own hasn’t he? I’d forgotten about that. No wonder City want him to replace Kompany. A slab head replacing a bulb head. Perfect fit.

Meanwhile, there was a no look finish from Bobby as Brazil battered Peru. This was one of his better ones, and it might be the most Bobby goal ever. He almost scored by blocking a clearance, and when it came back off the woodwork he went round the keeper and scored while looking in the opposite direction. Only Bobby could have scored a goal like that.

I’d be happy enough for them to win it. Usually I’d be on board the Argie bus, but we’ve got two lads playing for Brazil, and besides, Argentina are fucking garbage. Look at their team these days, it’s staggeringly shit. They’ve actually got a Spurs reserve starting for them. Funes Mori is in the squad too. I didn’t even know he’d left Everton but wiki tells me he plays for Villarreal now where next season he’ll be joined in that back four by Alberto Moreno. What did those fans do to deserve that?

The most surprising name in the Argie squad is Pereyra from Watford. Not only because Argentina are now scraping a barrel where they’re calling up players from Watford, but because I always thought he was Uruguayan. Turns out he's Argentinian. Who knew? The mighty have fallen, big time. Hard to look past Brazil for this one, but their record in this competition is shit so there’s always that. 

Watched a bit of the women’s world cup tonight. Hadn’t seen any of it until this, but I saw extra time and pens of Norway’s win over Australia and it was boss. End to end and incident packed. Australia’s penalties though, fucking hell. 

I keep planning on watching some of these games but life always gets in the way. I’ll defo watch if the England girls get to the semis, and I’ll be rooting for them to win it. Which tells me that I’m not actually anti-England, I’m just anti-everything that surrounds the England men’s team.

Sunday Jun 23:

"If he [Salah] has the chance to play in the best league of the world, which is the Spanish one, he has to sign for Barcelona. Mo has everything to be one of the best players in the world.” So says Samuel Eto'o.

Newsflash Sammy boy, he already is one of the best in the world, he plays for a team that fucking obliterated your Barcelona boys (and did it without him) and he’s a European Champion. What the fuck is this shit. Is Eto’o Cameroon’s answer to Paul Merson?

“Best league in the world” hahaha fuck off. Messi and Ronaldo have padded their stats for decades by banging in hat-tricks every second week against slapdicks like Eibar, Girona, Rayo Vallecano etc I’m not disputing the greatness of either, but if they had spent their entire careers playing in our league and not in Spain you could probably knock 100 goals of both of their totals.

Staying with the bang average La Liga theme, Real Betis want Divock. Can’t see him going there. They finished 10th and haven’t been relevant since Denilson played there. Maybe we could swap him for Joaquin? Remember him? We were linked with him every summer for years. 

Holy Shit!! I was actually taking the piss there, but I just googled Joaquin to see what he’s doing now and he’s still playing for Betis. He’s 37 and he’s their fucking captain!! Hahahaha. Best league in the world though, eh? As if Divock is going there. Maybe they’d have better luck going for Sturridge. In five years time.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Happy birthday, Dave. Mine was the day before (I'm one of those older fellas you referred to) and I also got that video. It's so well done that all 700 million fans around the world (at least that's what Paul Joyce wrote today) should join the club site just for that!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, frankie said:

Happy birthday, Dave. Mine was the day before (I'm one of those older fellas you referred to) and I also got that video. It's so well done that all 700 million fans around the world (at least that's what Paul Joyce wrote today) should join the club site just for that!

I was buzzing off it, then I showed it to my daughter and she said "they aren't even saying your name, it's not for you it's just what they send out to everyone".

Me: "You couldn't just let me have it, could you?"

• Upvote 6

Happy birthday mate. I'm one of those old fellas you see wondering around - I'm 51 - and I feel exactly the same as you. Loving these and the report cards by the way, it's like having a chance to sit down every few days and think "Ah, champions of Europe". 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Moin Kapadia said:

"Why is he randomly just putting stuff like that out there? Is this just an ongoing campaign from him, or was it in response to something I’ve missed?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48799115

This Warda fella seems like a right fucking charmer. Jeez. 

19 minutes ago, rb14 said:

46? Yeah right. Thought we were talking age, not something else....

Waist

You can be very hurtful sometimes. Definitely an age thing. When people get to your age they don't give a fuck and say whatever they like. Proper mean old bastard you are. Hope I'm not like you when I'm 60.

Wasn't the Salah quote regarding a team mate let back into the squad (national squad that is) who was accused of rape?

EDIT: Sorry, it was Amr Warda dropped after being accused of sexual harassment and then reinstated to the squad.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/06/mohamed-salah-criticised-for-support-of-team-mate-dropped-then-reinstated-by-egypt/

• dave u unpinned this topic