You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Major League Soccer

Jordy Brouwer

Dave's report mentioning that Sturridge might go to the LA galaxy got me thinking; what do people think about the MLS around here?

I actually quite like it and follow it a bit. I sometimes watch highlights videos on YouTube. A couple of clubs, Atlanta United and the Portland Timbers have really good fan-bases. The standard is so-so but not terrible. It does seem to be something of a rising force albeit slow and steady. There are also some genuinely impressive players like Josef Martinez. 

It's alright. I think most of the clubs have gotten the balance right of garnering interest by signing some big names and also producing some decent young players.

None of the teams really play good football but looking at the attendance and the passion of most fan bases that doesn't really seem to matter. If the clubs can keep improving in youth development the league will keep growing. That's the key.

Soccer stuff aside I do like Portland Timbers because they have a decent fan base and I've always wanted to go to Portland. 

I'd like New York Red Bulls but their stadium is in the middle of fucking Newark and looks shite plus Bradley Wright-Phillips is their best ever player so fuck them. 

Tampa Bay Rowdies are top of their division in the USL. Do they get promoted to the MSL if they win or are they kept separate? 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's alright. I think most of the clubs have gotten the balance right of garnering interest by signing some big names and also producing some decent young players.

None of the teams really play good football but looking at the attendance and the passion of most fan bases that doesn't really seem to matter. If the clubs can keep improving in youth development the league will keep growing. That's the key.

I'd say Atlanta United can play fairly decent football.

The original mistake of the league was deciding they couldn't compete with other sports for the "urban" market and so they started building stadiums out in suburbia to try to appeal to the suburban middle classes. It was a disaster; the stadiums are in the middle of nowhere and can't be filled. Those clubs who built their stadiums in city centres tend to have no problem filling them and have really good fan bases. The league is still recovering from those awful initial mistakes. 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Tampa Bay Rowdies are top of their division in the USL. Do they get promoted to the MSL if they win or are they kept separate? 

I don't think there is a promotion/relagation system I think its all about being able to prove that you would be a good "franchise" which sounds open to corruption to me. Generally a lot of the best clubs in MLS are more recent one's where a local population starts demanding "we want MLS". Atlanta United have done amazingly well, winning their MLS division in their first season. I'd like to think Tampa can do something similar. 

For the record some Americans do call it football. Quite a few actually. 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They call it soccer so they can fuck off 

Cross = serve

Header = top bodied

Clean Sheet = shut out

Penalty = PK

On Target = on frame

Tackle = steal

Good spot to strike of the ball = in the wheelhouse

Kit = uniform

Foul = a foul play

First Half = premier half

Six Yard Box = in the six

For all the above reasons, I'm out.

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Soccer stuff aside I do like Portland Timbers because they have a decent fan base and I've always wanted to go to Portland. 

I'd like New York Red Bulls but their stadium is in the middle of fucking Newark and looks shite plus Bradley Wright-Phillips is their best ever player so fuck them. 

I used to like Tampa Bay Rowdies (boss kit), but haven’t followed them for a while. Rodney Marsh and Clyde Best still play for them?

757A355D-C593-48A3-AC56-4667A51823CC.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Cross = serve

Header = top bodied

Clean Sheet = shut out

Penalty = PK

On Target = on frame

Tackle = steal

Good spot to strike of the ball = in the wheelhouse

Kit = uniform

Foul = a foul play

First Half = premier half

Six Yard Box = in the six

For all the above reasons, I'm out.

You missed out - Half time = HALF time. 

And goal = gooooooooooooooooooooooooal 

Goals this season = goals on the season

I've never heard header = top bodied

Seriously though I don't really get what the big deal is. Its just a few different words. 

4 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

You missed out - Half time = HALF time. 

And goal = gooooooooooooooooooooooooal 

Goals this season = goals on the season

I've never heard header = top bodied

Seriously though I don't really get what the big deal is. Its just a few different words. 

Football UK = Soccer US - played mostly with feet, legs and head except goalkeeper who can use hands.

Football US - Nothing UK - played mostly with hands. What the fuck? I'm double out.

My Uncle played for Miami Toros and their home games were at the Orange Bowl. They would get crowds of about 7000 in a 70,000 plus stadium and most fans were of Hispanic origin. My cousin said that they came out for games in a fire engine for some bizarre reason. Tommy Smith played for Fort Lauderdale so they would regularly meet up.  He told me once when they were out on south Beach they saw a black fella shot dead just for Jay walking. 

My Dad stupidly turned down the chance to play for New York Cosmos before they went all glamour and signed Pele. My dad had only played semi pro for Ellesmere Port and Skem. He had just met my Mum so I can blame her for that.

I sort of followed LA Galaxy when Steven Gerrard went there. Will be a good place for Sturridge to play. I think he'll enjoy the lifestyle more though. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

My Uncle played for Miami Toros and their home games were at the Orange Bowl. They would get crowds of about 7000 in a 70,000 plus stadium and most fans were of Hispanic origin. My cousin said that they came out for games in a fire engine for some bizarre reason. Tommy Smith played for Fort Lauderdale so they would regularly meet up.  He told me once when they were out on south Beach they saw a black fella shot dead just for Jay walking. 

My Dad stupidly turned down the chance to play for New York Cosmos before they went all glamour and signed Pele. My dad had only played semi pro for Ellesmere Port and Skem. He had just met my Mum so I can blame her for that.

I sort of followed LA Galaxy when Steven Gerrard went there. Will be a good place for Sturridge to play. I think he'll enjoy the lifestyle more though. 

73E25F2E-2B45-4876-AAE2-08A42E16592A.jpeg

DB4E1876-7BF5-4A34-BEF7-86132FD52C0F.jpeg