You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Idiots in good jobs

Section_31

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

I’ve worked with loads of guys on £400+ a day who aren’t very good.

This is probably the least surprising post I have ever read on this forum.

We all worked under a guy once who would frequently have people looking at each other in meetings in utter befuddlement at what they'd just spouted. Someone who, when leaving a shareholder/board based business to work for a company owned and run by one person, who presumably had oversight and gave a sh*t about how their company was run, didn't last very long. Someone who, perhaps because they worked in marketing, was good at marketing themselves. 

In a totally unrelated note. I was reading this article recently. Very entertaining.

https://www.esquire.com/style/advice/a5538/most-fashionable-man-0309/

kenyatte-nelson-esquire-best-dressed-rea

Several times he has been approached by middle-aged couples. "Usually the husband is asking me to sleep with his wife. I've never done it because I tend to believe karma is a motherfucker. I want to get married one day."

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, tokyojoe said:

I have worked with four people on and off who became Knights of the Realm. With one exception they were fucking useless. Just got lucky and fell into the right place.

Loads of Officers in the forces were handed honours off the back of hard work carried out by the Senior ranks/ troops beneath them. 

47 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Loads of Officers in the forces were handed honours off the back of hard work carried out by the Senior ranks/ troops beneath them. 

The situation in the forces blows my mind. The idea that you're filtered into a position of command due to your school and parenting regardless of any grasp whatsoever of 'soldier stuff'. 

Prince Harry is an extreme example. His teacher got caught doing his A level exams for him, gets into Sandhurst no questions asked, goes to fly helicopters but fails his flight exams - can't fly them so they stick him in the gunners' chair instead - which he compares to 'playing on the X Box'. 

Meanwhile half of Garston are below him getting their legs blown off despite 99.9% of them probably being of far superior soldierly raw material. 

That Steven Graham radio advert does my head in, clearly aimed at scouse lads. "what does society expect from you? Not much - but we do."

Hang on, who says so? And when was the last time Sandhurst came to Liverpool to recruit?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The situation in the forces blows my mind. The idea that you're filtered into a position of command due to your school and parenting regardless of any grasp whatsoever of 'soldier stuff'. 

Prince Harry is an extreme example. His teacher got caught doing his A level exams for him, gets into Sandhurst no questions asked, goes to fly helicopters but fails his flight exams - can't fly them so they stick him in the gunners' chair instead - which he compares to 'playing on the X Box'. 

Meanwhile half of Garston are below him getting their legs blown off despite 99.9% of them probably being of far superior soldierly raw material. 

That Steven Graham radio advert does my head in, clearly aimed at scouse lads. "what does society expect from you? Not much - but we do."

Hang on, who says so? And when was the last time Sandhurst came to Liverpool to recruit?  

The forces was (I can't speak for now, but I have heard things are worse) full of right fucking idiots at officer level. Like you say, mainly due to what private school they attended and who daddy was. They were mostly clueless on ops, held in their position due to the officers who went through the ranks and indeed the rank and file beneath them. 

21 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The forces was (I can't speak for now, but I have heard things are worse) full of right fucking idiots at officer level. Like you say, mainly due to what private school they attended and who daddy was. They were mostly clueless on ops, held in their position due to the officers who went through the ranks and indeed the rank and file beneath them. 

Trying to think of all the ones who're in public life.

Iain Duncan Smith

David Davies

Charles Ingram (Who wants to be a millionaire wanker) 

James Blunt (he did stop world war three in Kosovo apparently though, kudos.) 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Trying to think of all the ones who're in public life.

Iain Duncan Smith

David Davies

Charles Ingram (Who wants to be a millionaire wanker) 

James Blunt (he did stop world war three in Kosovo apparently though, kudos.) 

Loads of them mate, plus if you look at the list about 85-90% are Tories. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

One of my mates went to sandhurst, he's a working class lad had a good job but left it too join the army. Ended up jumping through hoops, passing all kinds of exams to get too sandhurst and he loved it  but eventually left because he was tired of some posh useless twats getting promoted faster above him due to who their family is whilst he was excelling but being ignored. He wasn't arsed last time I seen him, he left a captain but having sandhurst on his CV is very helpful. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

The most dangerous thing known to man , An officer with a map stolen from the back of a book about the Falklands but very true though 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

The most dangerous thing known to man , An officer with a map stolen from the back of a book about the Falklands but very true though 

We had this Captain who was the 2nd in command at our unit and he took our section out for a run in the Teutorburger forest and got us all lost. He had no compass or maps on him. This was at the height of the IRA'S attacks in Germany in 87. They had to send army choppers out to search for us. He was posted out not long after and it was the same officer who got lost in some South American mountain range which lead to a few lost limbs ( think someone died, not sure though. Seems hard to find the information on Google, surprise surprise ) and also lead to a court martial and him being thrown out. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

We had this Captain who was the 2nd in command at our unit and he took our section out for a run in the Teutorburger forest and got us all lost. He had no compass or maps on him. This was at the height of the IRA'S attacks in Germany in 87. They had to send army choppers out to search for us. He was posted out not long after and it was the same officer who got lost in some South American mountain range which lead to a few lost limbs ( think someone died, not sure though. Seems hard to find the information on Google, surprise surprise ) and also lead to a court martial and him being thrown out. 

What a fucking numpty that's just madness no compass or map absolutely beggars belief but that's officers for you .

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

What a fucking numpty that's just madness no compass or map absolutely beggars belief but that's officers for you .

He had his Golden Lab with him. He used her to run ahead of us and we had to follow, regardless of the terrain and obstacles such as fallen trees, snow drifts, rock formations etc. We were dropped off for the run at 6am and they found us at 4am the next morning. He's lucky we didn't eat his dog. Fucking freezing as well. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

One of my mates went to sandhurst, he's a working class lad had a good job but left it too join the army. Ended up jumping through hoops, passing all kinds of exams to get too sandhurst and he loved it  but eventually left because he was tired of some posh useless twats getting promoted faster above him due to who their family is whilst he was excelling but being ignored. He wasn't arsed last time I seen him, he left a captain but having sandhurst on his CV is very helpful. 

My brother had a similar experience. He joined the Marines straight from school, rose through the enlisted ranks pretty quickly, took a commission and reached either Lieutenant- or full-Colonel. He left disillusioned that that was as high as he could go compared to people who went straight in as officers, and that they had gone up the commissioned ranks faster than he had.

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

Talking a good game can get you quite far up the ladder in non-technical roles, Mooks old boss seems to be a good example of this.

Think it might have been her good looks and fantastic figure, judging by the palpable sexual tension in Mook's posts.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Think it might have been her good looks and fantastic figure, judging by the palpable sexual tension in Mook's posts.

Mook's definitely shoved her up his arse.