You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Draft Ideas

Bjornebye

24 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

And Tony, get real will you. Do you really think anyone is going out buying fucking DVDs of Getzer to judge him in a draft. What about DVDs of Zarra? Or any other number of players in the draft. You pick old players, you take the risk that outside of the true world greats like Pele or Cruyff people may not be able to judge them properly, same as every draft.

Get real? I never said anyone should go out and buy DVDs for the purpose of a draft. I merely pointed out that there is footage of old players. Obviously, some will have seen them, plenty won’t have.

I’m a boring bastard, so I enjoy watching old footy videos/DVDs and have done for many years, but appreciate others don’t. I probably like them because I have a football mad dad born in the 1940s.

I agree that picking old players is a risk in terms of people being able to judge them. I haven’t picked too many old players, or at least ones that aren’t well known, in this draft. However, as I said when we did the Liverpool one, I’m not really arsed about votes, I’m just playing for fun.

7 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m still having sleepless nights about Dave Watson not being eligible for the Liverpool one, as he didn’t make a competitive appearance for us.

He'd only get on the bench in my all time XI of people born in Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

Good unpicked players - Stig should have gone for Abiatti. Strange choice for his keeper.

Abiatti

Higuita

Coupet

Finnan

Leonardo

Naybet

Demechellis

Cesar Sampaio

Fernando

Senna

Valderrama

Momo

Paolo Sousa

Koke

Saul Nigez

Maxi Rodriguez

Nasri

Pires

Mata

Denilson

Aimar

Pato

Juninho

Hasselbaink

Mandzukic

Guest Alex_K

There's too many good Barca/Madrid unpicked players to name, so a few more for the 'other' branch:

- Milito, Diego Tristan, Roy Makaay as forwards.

- Javi Moreno & Cosmin Contra are 2 who faded into obscurity after big-moves to Milan but were part of that terrific Alaves team that almost did us.

- Killy Gonzales & Vicente, both key parts of great Valencia sides.

Pires is overall probably the best one not picked from 'other' I think. I came close to a Pires/Marcelo pairing over Kaka/Capdevila, but thought Kaka was just too good not to include. Likewise Leonardo at LB .. but thought he may be judged a more efficient AM even though he was a starting LB for Brazil at '94.

You can be a good player like Pires/Valderama etc. but ultimately there's levels to the game of football and those sorts never ascended to that true Balon d'Or style greatness.

Good trip down memory lane of early 00s La Liga this one anyway. Names like Mendieta & Gerard popping up -- the latter I had completely forgotten but now remember was another who had a huge money move to Barca from Valencia but dropped off after.

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

You've just proved my point. Do you even know what you're arguing?

Tell you what, Madrid didn't win the league the season they signed Getzer, but the season after they signed Breitner and won it twice in a row. All down to Breitner that. He was the reason Cruyff never won more titles at Barca.

And Tony, get real will you. Do you really think anyone is going out buying fucking DVDs of Getzer to judge him in a draft. What about DVDs of Zarra? Or any other number of players in the draft. You pick old players, you take the risk that outside of the true world greats like Pele or Cruyff people may not be able to judge them properly, same as every draft.

Do any of your DVDs tell you if Getzer was the main reason Cruyff only won one league at Barca? Because that was the claim Ardja made. Getzer was so good it seems that he even stopped Cruyff winning the league when he wasn't playing in La Liga.

Breitner benefited from Netzer lifting the standards at the club. I’m also of the opinion that Breitner is a great pick, so it’s not one or the other. Of your midfielders, only Zidane could get into mine IMO. In place of whom I hear you ask... it’s hard to say.