You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Draft Ideas

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

Legend

Ha ha. Bastard! Seriously though, you’d be hard pushed to find a goalkeeper, no matter how great, who didn’t make the odd embarrassing/costly mistake.

Arconada was a very, very good all round goalkeeper. He was confident, agile, a good shot-stopper, commanded his box well and was good with his feet. He played 60-odd times for his country and won two La Liga titles with Real Sociedad. Iker Casillas obviously rates him, as he picked him in his all-time Spain XI.

25 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ha ha. Bastard! Seriously though, you’d be hard pushed to find a goalkeeper, no matter how great, who didn’t make the odd embarrassing/costly mistake.

Arconada was a very, very good all round goalkeeper. He was confident, agile, a good shot-stopper, commanded his box well and was good with his feet. He played 60-odd times for his country and won two La Liga titles with Real Sociedad. Iker Casillas obviously rates him, as he picked him in his all-time Spain XI.

Never heard of him, sounds like someone dyslexic would call a snake 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I'll take your word for it. I suppose it's lucky for him he wasn't playing sides of the quality of Northern Ireland every week. Enough to make any goalkeeper lose his shit.

I could actually go now myself, too, as Virj has a keeper. I may as well, then Alex can go after Virj goes.

• Upvote 1

I'm still in multiple minds who take with my last pick to play on the right side of my front three. I'm actually quite tempted to pick a player who I don't think really ever played there but who probably could/would play there if he was playing these days. Sort of like Stoichkov - you could see him playing right in a front three if he was about these days.

Picked a Ballon D’Or winner as my deep-lying midfielder. A risky move... but with an honour list like below, I felt obliged to make sure arguably the best CM ever in La Liga is not left unpicked.

Club

FC Barcelona

La Liga: 1958–59, 1959–60

Copa del Rey: 1957, 1959

Fairs Cup: 1958, 1960

Inter Milan

Serie A: 1962–63, 1964–65, 1965–66

European Cup: 1963–64, 1964–65

Intercontinental Cup: 1964, 1965

International

Spain

European Nations' Cup

Individual

Ballon d'Or: 1960

Silver Ball: 1961, 1964

Bronze Ball: 1965

World Soccer: World XI: 1963, 1964, 1965

UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1964

Golden Foot: 2008, as football legend

Marca Leyenda: 2016

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Picked a Ballon D’Or winner as my deep-lying midfielder. A risky move... but with an honour list like below, I felt obliged to make sure arguably the best CM ever in La Liga is not left unpicked.

Club

FC Barcelona

La Liga: 1958–59, 1959–60

Copa del Rey: 1957, 1959

Fairs Cup: 1958, 1960

Inter Milan

Serie A: 1962–63, 1964–65, 1965–66

European Cup: 1963–64, 1964–65

Intercontinental Cup: 1964, 1965

International

Spain

European Nations' Cup

Individual

Ballon d'Or: 1960

Silver Ball: 1961, 1964

Bronze Ball: 1965

World Soccer: World XI: 1963, 1964, 1965

UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1964

Golden Foot: 2008, as football legend

Marca Leyenda: 2016

You mustn't have felt that obliged as you were going to pick Santi Cazorla ahead of him 

Guest Alex_K
13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Bebeto is a great pick at the end. I thought I could afford to get him in the last round cause everybody would already have forwards.

It was always my plan from Pick No. 2 to pair Bebeto & Romario (cue mass baby celebrations) -- there was a mad, early dash on forwards (not sure why, there are so many great "other" forwards still in the pot even now) so thought I could leave him late and get away with it. Sounds like only just! Breitner, Brehme, Laporte are the big picks that got away from me. Pretty happy overall though. Bebeto was a truly top striker - top scorer in La Liga with 29 goals in a single season. Quite a lot in him that reminds of Bobby today.

Bebeto claims Brazil never lost a single game while he & Romario started together. Incredible if true.