You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Draft Ideas

Bjornebye

The back-pass rule has been the most significant change in football in my opinion.  It really was a completely different game before that came in. That, combined with the offside rule being much simpler and in favour of the defenders, meant the game was much more difficult as an attacking player.

I was never getting Maradona, Messi,  Ronaldo, etc. due to my placing in the draft. However, I’m a bit miffed to not get a few players that I wanted from the start. Thought I would get away with leaving them until later in the draft, but came unstuck. Neeskens, Netser, Rep, Goikoetxea.

Guest Alex_K

Your team is really good - definitely can still win. Presumably Neeskens would be picked at expense of Kroos? Well, history will show Kroos as a legendary midfielder in his own right. He's been key to 4 European Cup wins & a World Cup. That's more than Neeskens achieved actually. The contemporary players are prone to either being highly overrated (I suspect a player like Hazard will be sort of equivalent to a Claudio Lopez type in 15 years.. Unless he wins CLs with RM who outside of the PL is really going to remember him?) or under-rated just because time has not added the nostalgic lustre it has to some of the 80s/90s names we discuss (Kroos probably a good example).

Will be interesting to read a compilation of the best "other" players not picked at the end of this. There's still a lot of top players left in that bracket.

7 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Your team is really good - definitely can still win. Presumably Neeskens would be picked at expense of Kroos? Well, history will show Kroos as a legendary midfielder in his own right. He's been key to 4 European Cup wins & a World Cup. That's more than Neeskens achieved actually. The contemporary players are prone to either being highly overrated (I suspect a player like Hazard will be sort of equivalent to a Claudio Lopez type in 15 years.. Unless he wins CLs with RM who outside of the PL is really going to remember him?) or under-rated just because time has not added the nostalgic lustre it has to some of the 80s/90s names we discuss (Kroos probably a good example).

Will be interesting to read a compilation of the best "other" players not picked at the end of this. There's still a lot of top players left in that bracket.

In my opinion, Neeskens and Kroos could definitely play in the same team. I’m not really arsed about modern footy but Kroos is one player I really like. Very talented and versatile.