You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Draft Ideas

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

Some reasonable players not picked in the end:

Doni

Murphy

Meireles

Poulsen

Zenden

Benayoun

Bellamy

Suso, Lallana and Shaqiri could all have gone as well but Bellamy was definitely worth a place. 

I was going to have him in a front three with Suarez and Bobby. Imagine facing those three, be a fucking nightmare, but went with Litmanen behind in the end.

20 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

I decided pretty early on I wasn't picking players of that vintage (pretty much if they hadn't played for Liverpool in the 80s) so I didn't even bother putting them on a list. 

I wanted some older players. Phil Neal was my first choice right-back but my second choice, a close second at that, was Chris Lawler. I always wanted Alec Lindsay at left-back and am made up to have got him. His disallowed goal in the 1974 FA Cup Final has always been one of my favourite Liverpool goals. Only mistake I really made was totally forgetting about Gary McAllister. Would have had him instead of Ronnie Whelan.

Guest Alex_K

Whelan career is incomparably better than McCalister's though. You ended up with the better player there.

One elephant in the room who didn't get picked... Super Mario Balotelli. Had a few years where he was a real handful.. Almost single handedly blasting Italy into the 2010 Euros Final against a top  Germany side in the process. Another who had a few years of being a handful was Heskey.. Devolved into a laughing stock but he had a formidable partnership with Owen for a while and had a 20 goal+ season with us alongside 60+ England caps.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Whelan career is incomparably better than McCalister's though. You ended up with the better player there.

Yeah, true. Whelan played for Liverpool and won everything multiple times,  whereas McAllister mostly played for Leicester and Leeds and consequently has a far less impressive collection of medals. However, in my opinion, McAllister was the better player. 

As a football draft novice, first and foremost, I wanted a team of players that I like. I also wanted a balanced team of really good, reliable players, with no glaring weaknesses. A team that if anything, is greater than the sum of its parts.

24 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

One elephant in the room who didn't get picked... Super Mario Balotelli. Had a few years where he was a real handful.. Almost single handedly blasting Italy into the 2010 Euros Final against a top  Germany side in the process. Another who had a few years of being a handful was Heskey.. Devolved into a laughing stock but he had a formidable partnership with Owen for a while and had a 20 goal+ season with us alongside 60+ England caps.

Balotelli can fuck off. 

Heskey deserved to be picked. A couple of sides in this should have gone for him over other options. 

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, true. Whelan played for Liverpool and won everything multiple times,  whereas McAllister mostly played for Leicester and Leeds and consequently has a far less impressive collection of medals. However, in my opinion, McAllister was the better player. 

As a football draft novice, first and foremost, I wanted a team of players that I like. I also wanted a balanced team of really good, reliable players, with no glaring weaknesses. A team that if anything, is greater than the sum of its parts.

Collymore? 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Collymore? 

Yeah, I liked Collymore the player. Fowler and Collymore were a really good partnership. Peak Rush and Collymore would be similar. Funnily enough (think you picked him), I gave serious consideration to Ian St John, but decided Rush and Collymore would be a better pairing.

Anyway, really enjoyed this draft.

31 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, I liked Collymore the player. Fowler and Collymore were a really good partnership. Peak Rush and Collymore would be similar. Funnily enough (think you picked him), I gave serious consideration to Ian St John, but decided Rush and Collymore would be a better pairing.

Anyway, really enjoyed this draft.

Collymore and Fowler had a 2/3 month spell where they were fucking outrageously good. Such a shame Collymore was an arrogant fucking twat. Could have been a Liverpool great.