You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Draft Ideas

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Always thought he was decent enough. Surprised at how few caps he got for his country. 

Decent enough??? He won something like 10 championships in Argentina, then came to Spain to break the dominance of Madrid and Barca, winning titles in Spain and also reaching back to back european cup finals. He is probably top 10 cb in this draft.

Edit. Just checked. He is 10th best, bang on.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Friedel & James before the hero of Istanbul? Not sure about that.

Friedel was a better keeper mate. Maybe not for us as he never got much chance but at Spurs and Blackburn he was a superb keeper. In-fact James was brilliant in his time at Pompey. Give me a peak Friedel or James over Dudek any day of the week. 

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

Decent enough??? He won something like 10 championships in Argentina, then came to Spain to break the dominance of Madrid and Barca, winning titles in Spain and also reaching back to back european cup finals. He is probably top 10 cb in this draft.

Back the fuck up. I wanted him myself. 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Friedel was a better keeper mate. Maybe not for us as he never got much chance but at Spurs and Blackburn he was a superb keeper. In-fact James was brilliant in his time at Pompey. Give me a peak Friedel or James over Dudek any day of the week. 

I gave James serious consideration. In the end I just couldn’t bring myself to pick him. I’m Too many bad memories - Wembley ‘96 and the 1996-97 season.

Guest Alex_K

Dudek was voted by the IFFHS as  the 15th best keeper in the world between 2001 - 2010. In 2001 he was nominatedas the best goalkeeper in the world alongside Kahn and Buffon.

Now, to tie my colours to the mast .. PEAK Dudek denied Shevchenko in what is officially greatest the most epic CL moment of all time .. so whatever mid-table exploits James championed at Pompey sort of pale in comparison.

But to speak more widely -- I definitely considered Orgizovic myself. However there's a reason why he spent 16 years at mid-table Coventry and there's a reason why his CV carries 4 Liverpool starts. Equally there's a reason why Jerzy Dudek spent 10 seasons with Liverpool and Real Madrid, and the 5 seasons before that winning league titles with Feyenoord. Its sort of funny to think of Dudek as this clutz who presided over those Forlan howlers .. but in the bigger picture he won the Champions League, was MOTM in a League Cup win vs a Ferguson United team. He was even presented with a shirt by the Pope. 

Basically he's no Clemence or Becker, for sure, but he achieved a hell of a lot more than mid table no marks like Friedel and James did during their careers.

Guest Alex_K
Just now, Lee909 said:

I see the bigging up of our players has started rather early

When you've got Henderson and Souness -- 2 European Cup winning Captains -- patrolling midfield in front of Hansen, Yeats and Robertson, there's no need to big up players.

But for real - Dudek is seriously under-estimated because of his clownish exterior. He was pivotal to the CL win for us (both in the Sheva save and the penalties), and other Cup wins wouldnt have happened without him either. Makes a welcome change from Keepers who caused Cup defeats rather than averted them.

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

James was never above average. 

Just like Mingolet at Sunderland looked OK when keots busy but far far to many clangers to be a top level keeper. 

James should have been a great goalkeeper. He had natural ability in spades and possessed almost all of the attributes required to be a top level goalkeeper. Crucially though, he was error prone, be that due to a lack of concentration or poor decision making.