You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2018/19 Season Report Card - Dejan Lovren

tlw content

A stop start season for Big Dejan. He came back injured from the World Cup and couldn’t get back in the side due to the form of Joe Gomez. 

When he did get his chance he played well enough but was never able to get a long run in the team because there was always something going on. An illness here, a little hamstring pull there, just minor stuff that disrupted his rhythm.

It was in stark contrast to a year ago when he was a fixture in the side alongside Big Virg and was arguably our best player (along with Robbo) in the Champions League final loss to Madrid.

Lovren’s star was in the ascendancy, especially when he followed it up with an impressive World Cup campaign that saw Croatia reach the final. Poor Dejan lost a Champions League final and a World Cup final in the space of a couple of months. His reputation was as high as it had ever been though, and when he described himself as “top five” in the world it wasn’t as ludicrous as many seemed to think.

He’s much derided due to that claim, but I’m one of the few who felt that his boast wasn’t that outlandish at the time he made it. Based on his form in 2018, when he performed well in some extremely high profile games for club and country, he was one of the best. 

Since then he’s hardly played, and he’s now number four at his own club. Things can change quickly though, we’ve seen that. Besides, being number four at Liverpool doesn’t mean he’s no longer top five in the world. It just means Matip and Gomez have joined him in that elite group.

lovren1_600.jpg

Seriously though, I like him. He’s a character, he keeps Mo entertained and his Instagram rant about Sergio Ramos after Croatia played Spain was legendary. In case you’d forgotten, after beating Spain 3-2 Lovren grabbed his phone and went off on one.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note, 'Season Report Cards' are only be available to TLW subscribers. Subscriptions are just £2 per month and can be purchased here.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

The likes of Lovren and Henderson have had to put up with their share of detractors, and have stuck to their guns and never wilted, to their eternal credit  I wouldn't be looking to let Lovren go anywhere just yet.  We've got a shitload of games next season, and the same fans who want Lovren gone now will be bellyaching like fuck when the injuries take their toll and we're putting Fabinho at centre back again.

There's very little to be gained in Lovren leaving, other than to keep a particlular group of sad cunts happy.  He's a proper positive character, just what Klopp wants around the place.

Here’s the thing: Dejan would be first pick CB for Utd and Arse, would certainly threaten the first 11 at the Chavs and I’d have him over Stones. He’s had his horror stories but on his day he’s brilliant, his team mates obviously love him and we have two CBs with injury records not a million miles off Darren Anderton territory. Why is keeping him even a debate?

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Marcas said:

Here’s the thing: Dejan would be first pick CB for Utd and Arse, would certainly threaten the first 11 at the Chavs and I’d have him over Stones. He’s had his horror stories but on his day he’s brilliant, his team mates obviously love him and we have two CBs with injury records not a million miles off Darren Anderton territory. Why is keeping him even a debate?

He’d start for Chelsea because he’s a far better defender than that clown David Luíz.

• Upvote 1

It was my birthday yesterday.

The club were nice enough to send a wee video that had Mane, Salah, Allison, Big Andy, Trent and my man Milner all with cakes, hats and that whistley thing that's name escapes me. I was well pleased. Automated or not, the champions of Europe were wishing me a happy birthday.

And then, Lovren started to speak.

I've never had a player ruin my birthday before, so fair play to him.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, Kevin D said:

It was my birthday yesterday.

The club were nice enough to send a wee video that had Mane, Salah, Allison, Big Andy, Trent and my man Milner all with cakes, hats and that whistley thing that's name escapes me. I was well pleased. Automated or not, the champions of Europe were wishing me a happy birthday.

And then, Lovren started to speak.

I've never had a player ruin my birthday before, so fair play to him.

Bumping him up to an 8 now.

30 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Last year showed exactly what we need from our centre backs and got it from three of them. 

Lovren, even when he manages to keep his head and not act a clown, still drags the line deeper. 

But he ruined Kevin D's birthday. That counts for something, right?

• Upvote 1