You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How would you honestly feel if Qatar or Abu Dhabi were to buy Liverpool?

JohnnyH

It is, of course, hypothetical at this moment.

Perhaps half of the enmity we get from other clubs is because, even being in the richest league in the world, we seem to be achieving what we have done in the right way, whatever that right way is, whereas the “achievers” are doing it through oil and other revenues.

City fans I know tend to clam up when you mention civil rights abuses, it’s something like the elephant in the room to them, they know it’s there, but the doors too small to get it out and so it’s ignored while they just look at the pitch and celebrate their lottery win.

Secretly though, I think true City fans are uneasy about aspects of their ownership.

I’ve seen, as I’m sure many of you have, comments from others about our support in a positive way, Spurs fans I think have a completely different view of us after Madrid, and there is still some admiration around for the way we helped taking on Hicks & Gillet, and ridding our club of that particular problem.

Any future takeover of the club is something we couldn’t stop, it wouldn’t be in our power to prevent it if the price was right.

But any future owners would know that if they were to take over, they’d have us to contend with also if things weren’t right. Would they care? Perhaps not.

The big factor could be all the new fans we’d pick up around the world and what that would be worth against any noise we’d make in protest.

As for how I’d react personally, well, it might actually be a line a wouldn’t cross even though I’ve supported the club for over 50 years.

Thankfully, as I said at the top, it’s hypothetical, at this moment.

51 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Regarding regime, I'llbe honest and say I dont really know too much other than snippets of what Ive read in papers and seen on tv news. Different countries deal with everyday things in different ways. Can we honestly say our way is better?

Erm, yes? Dumbest question on here for a while tbh.

• Upvote 4

It's not about sport for the various Sheikhs and Emirs, but more a dick-swinging contest between them. Also, for all their money, none of them have properly invested in one of Europe's true elite clubs. Apart from Sheikh Makhtoum and DIC coming close to buying us in 2006/07, the closest these people have come to investing in the elite clubs is via shirt sponsorship deals.

• Upvote 1

I'm in enough turmoil that we are owned by hedge funders and our club are part of the group more or less killing off the bottom two divisions of football league clubs. Well,I'm partly joking about the hedge funders but I'm deadly serious about the greed all premier league clubs and the PL clubs in general are showing to the majority of football league clubs. An actual European super league as opposed to the current elitist CL and I'm actually done with the game.

I'm happy with the way the club is at the moment abut still get frustrated with the owners on a lot of things. They are nowhere near as awful as Arsenal or Man Utds owners who take a lot of money from the club but they could do things quicker like expanding the stadium. They still generally put the money back in what the club earns and have been fortunate that Klopp has bought into their philosophy. 

The time to doubt them may be if we drop out of the Champions League for a few years or they struggle to get another top class manager after Klopp decides he's done his stint. Hopefully we will never go back to the dark days of Hodgson or most of Rodgers reign. 

If they struggle to be decisive if things start failing there may be fans who want some rich Arab or Russian to come in. I'm happy as long as the club grows it's revenue, treats the fans with respect and competes for players, even if we drop out the top 4 at some stage. But hopefully by then the club's earnings can continue to grow to Man Utd levels so we don't need to rely on a rich foreigner. 

If the caveat was that every fan got a footballer's salary (£300k per week) I think I could live it with it. 

I'd just support Tranmere and check the Liverpool scores before I went to bed. On teletext. *

*From my island full of the Babe Station TV cast. 

13 hours ago, Butch said:

No thanks. We've been working hard without cheat mode. And doing really well since Jurgen came in, that no money could buy what we have. 

I don't think Klopp would have came here if we were one of the oil clubs. We're different to other clubs, our manager is different to other managers. It's the reason why so many want us to fail, because we magnify their own failures when we succeed. 

Like you said, money can't buy what we have. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Aventus said:

I don't think Klopp would have came here if we were one of the oil clubs. We're different to other clubs, our manager is different to other managers. It's the reason why so many want us to fail, because we magnify their own failures when we succeed. 

Like you said, money can't buy what we have. 

I think there are a lot of clubs Klopp would have been interested in if the timing had been right. Man Utd and Arsenal spring to mind. He'd never go near Man City or PSG though. He'd go out of his mind with boredom within months.

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

I think there are a lot of clubs Klopp would have been interested in if the timing had been right. Man Utd and Arsenal spring to mind. He'd never go near Man City or PSG though. He'd go out of his mind with boredom within months.

I couldn't imagine him going to United, hasn't he already been quoted as saying they were "too Hollywood" or something. 

Deffo reckon he'd have gone Arsenal though, if Rodgers had earned another season with us, and Wengers contract wasn't extended then it would have been Arsenal instead of us. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely the owners matter. We're a shadow of the club we used to be. "This means more" perfectly encapsulates the disconnect between owners and supporters. Fuck off with your pathetic strap lines. Our lot were going to put the ticket prices up AGAIN before we put up a fight. They backed down on that occasion and thank goodness they did. Yes, they're better than some. Yes, they're worse than others. The Liverpool FC I grew up with has long gone, but there's still enough remaining that my line in the sand hasn't yet been crossed.

Success is largely measured in trophies; the premier league title being the one that has so painfully eluded us. Money might well buy us that trophy, but supporting a football club owned by a regime that - quite apart from their other abuses - would rejoice in chucking me off the top of a building or hanging me from a tank barrel? I'm out.

On 25/06/2019 at 12:11, Aventus said:

I couldn't imagine him going to United, hasn't he already been quoted as saying they were "too Hollywood" or something. 

Deffo reckon he'd have gone Arsenal though, if Rodgers had earned another season with us, and Wengers contract wasn't extended then it would have been Arsenal instead of us. 

I'm sure he's said lots on the subject but here he says that the thought of becoming Man Utd manager "didn't feel right. I couldn't say Man United is not my club, it didn't feel right." I think if they were a bit further down on their luck he would have taken the job. For all of Klopp's bonhomie, he knows his own worth and he saw Liverpool as an opportunity to enhance his legend. How right that judgement would be. It's worth reading his comments about Liverpool in context in the article. Warning: bring Kleenex.

46 minutes ago, deiseach said:

I'm sure he's said lots on the subject but here he says that the thought of becoming Man Utd manager "didn't feel right. I couldn't say Man United is not my club, it didn't feel right." I think if they were a bit further down on their luck he would have taken the job. For all of Klopp's bonhomie, he knows his own worth and he saw Liverpool as an opportunity to enhance his legend. How right that judgement would be. It's worth reading his comments about Liverpool in context in the article. Warning: bring Kleenex.

Am I bringing my wanking kleenex or my crying kleenex? 

• Upvote 2

I'd pack it in, the game feels distant enough already without my own club being defiled with the ill gotten gains of some middle eastern aristocratic autocrats.

I'm fairly sure I mentioned this in another thread a while ago, but a substantial chunk of the reason why Manchester City are playing great football and posting ludicrous points totals is because our planet is dying, in that the funds from oil and gas that are producing their team is also the root cause of environmental catastrophe engulfing our planet. If I was a City fan that would eat away at the back of my brain.