You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Either/Or

Tony Moanero

Just a bit of fun.

Boca Juniors/River Plate

Dundee/Dundee United

Hearts/Hibernian

Arsenal/Tottenham

Newcastle/Sunderland 

Galatasaray/Fenerbahce

Borussia Dortmund/Schalke 04

Genoa/Sampdoria

Inter/Milan

Lazio/Roma

Athletic Bilbao/Real Sociedad

Real Betis/Sevilla

Ajax/Feyenoord

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos

Boca Juniors - Riquelme.

Dundee - Good friend of my grandad played for them.

Hibs - One of the other teachers on the "internship" was a Hibs fan. He also stayed in the city after the internship finished. Became good mates. 

Arsenal/Tottenham - Simply can't split them. I have no strong emotions about either side.

Newcastle - Rafa Benitez. Actually I liked them before that. I like the city as well.

Fenerbahce - Dirk. Not really arsed about Turkish football though. Find the attempts at simply having the highest decibel level, etc, utterly tedious. Tuneless shite.

Borussia Dortmund - A great football club. 

Sampdoria - They were my Italian team when Football Italia was on telly. Lombardo, Vialli, etc. In fact they were probably just about on the slide by about the mid 90s, they won stuff in the late 80s and early 90s. Been to the derby, probably about ten years ago, and I reckon it's the best derby in Italy.

AC Milan - No strong opinions either way with Inter and AC Milan. Mourinho managed to sour any positive thoughts I had towards Inter as a club, so I'll go with AC Milan simply for the utter brilliance of those 90s teams. That team on Fifa 98, my word.

Roma - Mate of mine has a house in central Italy, and I used to go there every year for a week or two. Fucking incredible part of the world. Two of the lads in the town, one supported Roma and was a fascist, the other supported Lazio and was a communist. They didn't choose the easy life. Made up that Lucas won the cup with Lazio last season, can't be liking that club though. Fucking hell, they're a deeply unpleasant fan base in general. So, I'll go Roma. 

Athletic Bilbao - Quite like both of the Basque clubs. Aldo at Real, and San Sebastian is a phenomenal city. On the flip side, David Moyes. Going to have to go with Athletic Bilbao though. With their recruitment policy (admittedly increasingly less strict) to have never been relegated. The San Mames (old one) was a great stadium as well.

Real Betis - Not close this. Got good mates who support Sevilla, but they're a shite club. Atmosphere at the ground is generally awful (been there for games against local rivals, Malaga for example, not a peep for 90 minutes). People say the rich support Sevilla, and generally have no idea about football. The people support Betis. It's largely true. Betis is a great club, and Joaquin is fucking ace. I'm biased, but this is the best derby in Spain by a million miles. The whole city, and surrounding towns, goes in to melt down for a good week before the game.

Feyenoord - Dirk. Hattrick to win the title. What a guy. 

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon - Not arsed about Portuguese football at all.

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos - Or Greek football.

• Upvote 3

Boca Juniors- Maradona

Hibernian

Arsenal

Newcastle - Kenny and Terry Mac dream team

Borussia Dortmund - Klopp

Sampdoria - loved them mid nineties

Milan - So many great players

Feyenoord - Dirk (swoons)

No opinion on the others

• Upvote 1

Boca Juniors/River Plate - Boca (better kit)

Dundee/Dundee United - Dundee (Dundee United sounds wank)

Hearts/Hibernian - Hearts (Sounds nicer)

Arsenal/Tottenham - Tottenham (fond memory of beating them for No 6)

Newcastle/Sunderland - Newcastle (have some nice links to us)

Galatasaray/Fenerbahce - Fenerbahce 

Borussia Dortmund/Schalke 04 - Dortmund (proper club)

Genoa/Sampdoria - Sampdoria

Inter/Milan - Milan (bit of a sleeping giant at the moment but an elite club)

Lazio/Roma - Roma

Athletic Bilbao/Real Sociedad - Sociedad

Real Betis/Sevilla - Sevilla

Ajax/Feyenoord - Ajax

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon - Benfica

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos - Olympiakos

• Upvote 1

Boca Juniors/River Plate - Malvinas

Dundee

Hibernian

Arsenal

Sunderland - fans aren’t as twattish as the NU fans

Fenerbahce

Borussia Dortmund

Genoa/Sampdoria - not arsed

Inter

Lazio

Athletic Bilbao/Real Sociedad - not arsed 

Real Betis/Sevilla - not arsed 

Ajax

Sporting Lisbon

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos - not arsed

3 minutes ago, derykw said:

River Plate boss kit and Ive always liked them.

Couldnt give a toss about any of thw others.

Why no Liverpool/ Everton option ? I think I'd go with Liverpool.

Everton/Man Utd would be an interesting one. 

Boca Juniors/River Plate

Boca because I a not a cunt 

Dundee/Dundee United

Dundee Utd 

Hearts/Hibernian

The Hibs all day long 

Arsenal/Tottenham

Used to be Spurs but now Arsenal. Both glorious cunts 

Newcastle/Sunderland 

The Toon 

Galatasaray/Fenerbahce

Fenerbahce 

Dortmund because Pink Floyd 

Genoa/Sampdoria

Sampdoria 

Inter/Milan

AC everyday 

Lazio/Roma

Roma. Less facist. Both cunts though 

Bilbao Bhoys 

Real Betis/Sevilla

Betis - Joaquin 

Ajax/Feyenoord

Feyenoord because thanks for Larsson. Oh and Ajax are thundercunts 

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon

Benfica. I'm an Eagle. My 3rd favourite side in the world. 

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos

Panathinaikos , no real reason other than their badge and strip. 

• Upvote 1

Boca Juniors - Maradona, La Bombonera and a brilliant kit.

Dundee - much prefer their kit.

Hearts - Love their home colours and Dave Mackay.

Tottenham - Glenn Hoddle (the player) and this 

Newcastle/Sunderland - The 1973 FA Cup

Final and Bob Stokoe were boss, but it has to be Newcastle, as I really like the city.

Fenerbahce - met some sound Fenerbahçe fans in Instanbul. A Galatasaray supporter threatened to cut my throat for wearing a Fenerbahçe shirt, but said he let me off because we had just won the European Cup!

Borussia Dortmund - The Westfalenstadion is ace. That said, Borussia Monchengaldbach is my favourite German team.

Sampdoria - the coolest kit in club football.

Real Sociedad - had a soft spot for Real Sociedad since John Aldridge signed for them.

Real Betis 

Ajax. Been to Amsterdam numerous times, fantastic kit, Johan Cruijff.

Sporting Lisbon - class kit

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos - Olympiakos - not really arsed. However, the Olympiakos fans I encountered in Athens seemed a pretty hospitable bunch.

Lazio/Rome - Lazio - again, I’m not really arsed either way, but I reckon I like more Lazio kits than Roma ones, including this belter.

C0FF6C19-468A-41BD-AE46-5CE45C527D5D.jpeg

Good thread. As a kid I used to have multiple teams i favoured for all sorts of arbitrary reasons. I mostly couldn't give a shit now. But for old times sake:

Boca Juniors/River Plate - never thought about it

Dundee/Dundee United - United. if there was one common theme in my favourites as a kid, it was the cause of the underdog. Dundee United beating the Old Firm in the 80s and being a force in Europe was a wonderful story.

Hearts/Hibernian - Hibs. Spent many years living in Leith, which was a wonderful place to be a young man. Gorgie, alternatively, is a horrible shithole. No one ever sang about Sunshine on Gorgie.

Arsenal/Tottenham - Tottenham. Loved the Argies as a kid. Actually used to quite like Hoddle too.

Newcastle/Sunderland - Sunderland. Very hospitable away fans.

Galatasaray/Fenerbahce - Fenerbache on the basis they are anti-establishment, which may not even be true. Only really cos I heard of Galatasaray first so thought Fene were the underdogs

Borussia Dortmund/Schalke 04 - Dortmund because of Klopp

Genoa/Sampdoria - Sampdoria cos of Souness

Inter/Milan - Milan because of how good they were in the late 80s/90s when we were banned. I still feel like they were the best club side I've ever seen and one I wish we had faced in our pomp. Inter are nomarks in comparison

Lazio/Roma - Lazio cos I liked Gazza and because of the Roma fans in 84

Athletic Bilbao/Real Sociedad - always liked the Basque only thing for both. Aldridge at Sociedad clinches it but like them both

Real Betis/Sevilla - no view

Ajax/Feyenoord - Ajax just cos of the legacy of good footballers. 

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon - never thought about it. Benfica probably because of Eusebio

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos - no view

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Brilliant!

Was about a week after I'd split up with my ex. I'd moved out and was sat in my room in some house share thing watching this. Fully expected the gobshites to win but Hibs were at them so I carried on watching. Went fucking mental when the winner went in from the corner in injury time. My mate was having a BBQ but I was seriously demotivated to leave my room. Jumped up got changed ran round to my mates just as this had started. Then found out about the rioting. What a joyous day. 

9 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Just a bit of fun.

Boca Juniors/River Plate

Dundee/Dundee United

Hearts/Hibernian

Arsenal/Tottenham

Newcastle/Sunderland 

Galatasaray/Fenerbahce

Genoa/Sampdoria

Inter/Milan

Lazio/Roma

Real Betis/Sevilla

Ajax/Feyenoord

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos

River Plate - love the white with red sash. No other reason

Dundee United  - As a boy listening to Radio 2 (back in those days ) with those European exploits in the 1980's

Hibernian - First team in green I had ever come across in the Pannini stickers 1986. Got my first shirts for them for 17/18 season. Unfortunately my depression has meant I have put on too much weight and Ive not yet been able to wear it. Followed their fortunes since and they are my Scots team of choice.

Arsenal/Spurs - Arsenal - more out of respect they are technically the third biggest team in the country in terms of honours. George Grahams efficient defensive (corrupt) style won them titles, Wenger took them forward from that. I dont have hate to Arsenal as a big rival. Spurs, I cannot abide.

Newcastle/Sunderland - couldnt give a shit

Galatasary/Fehnerbahce - Indifference. The passion of the fan base is too murdery for my liking,

Dortmund/Schalke - Dortmund all day long. Mutual connections. The win over June in the 1990's with Lars Ricken is memorable.

Genoa/Sampdoria - Samp all day long with that introduction to Serie A and of course, the Souness link. Genoa knocking us out the UEFA cup in 1991/92 stings. Cunts.. Branco's 20 yarder against Mike Hooper was some goal.

Inter/AC Milan - AC Dutch trifecta and theyve always had that star power. And they have never been managed by Shitcoat

Lazio/Roma -Lazio- loved Beppe Signori as a striker in the 90's.

Bilbao-Sociedad - Bilbao- one of my best mates from there.

Betis-Sevilla -Betis. Purely because we can never beat Sevilla over 90 mins. Cunts.

Ajax-Feyenrord- Feyeneoord - Dirk all day long

Benfica/Sporting Lisbon- Lisbon. I like teams in green.

Olympiakos.Panathinaikos - Panathinaikos- team in green thing again. Saw Cisse and Sebastian Leto play for them back in what must have been ten years ago (fuck!!! I feel so old) . I was working a contract there  back in those days - indeed, one of the handful of threads I have ever started was about Greek football. Saw AEK and Olympiakos play a few times too. Im sure Djbrill saw me in my reds shirt at one game though.