You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2018/19 Season Report Card - Joe Gomez

tlw content

Difficult one this because the injury disrupted Joe's season and he only featured sporadically after his return (usually at right back) so he was never able to get back into any kind of groove. It would be unfair to judge him based on that though so instead I’m rating him based on his form pre-injury, which was sensational. 

His partnership with Big Virg (with Alisson behind them) was almost impregnable and it felt like we only conceded about three goals in the first three months. I know that’s not the case, it’s just how it felt to me. They never even really got to play with Fabinho shielding them either. Joel Matip was brilliant in the second half of the season, but the prospect of Gomez again linking up with Van Dijk, and with Fabinho destroying souls in front of them... well it’s mouth watering.

Going into the season I didn’t expect that level of performance from Gomez. I know some probably did, as there have been calls for him to be given a run at centre back for a while. Not from me though. I'll freely admit that I’d have kept Ragnar Klavan (don't really have much of a choice seeing as I wrote it at the time!) as I felt like we were leaving ourselves a little short with just the four centre halves, especially as three of them have a history of missing a lot of games.

As it turned out, I was half right as we did end up in a situation where Van Dijk was our only fit centre back and we had to use Fabinho there. That being said, Fabinho was brilliant when we had to cover there, so allowing Ragnar to go was the right call, especially as it gave Gomez his opportunity.

gomez3_600.jpg

I’ve always felt that Gomez looks like someone who could go on to be a superstar, but I didn't see it happening this season. You could see it though. Some players just stand out from the rest, and he did. He just looks smooth. He’s quick, strong, good on the ball and right from the very first game he played (at left back) you could see he had that something about him that great players have.

Would I have put as much faith in him this season as Jurgen did? Nope. Two reasons for that. Firstly, the injuries. He’s missed so many games it was difficult to know if he was the same player he was before. Not only that, even if he was the same player he was before, he basically missed two whole seasons of development and gaining experience. So even though he was only 20 going into the season, he was an inexperienced 20 playing a position where experience is one of the main requirements to being successful.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note, 'Season Report Cards' are only be available to TLW subscribers. Subscriptions are just £2 per month and can be purchased here.

• dave u pinned this topic
38 minutes ago, deiseach said:

You're going to make everyone wait for the Big Virg report card, you fucking tease you.

Definite trolling going on.  Does all the midfielders, then goes back to defenders.  

We'll have seven European Cups before he gets round to Hendo.

• Upvote 1

I was at Arsenal away a couple of years back when he played left back and thought straight away he was quality he has fantastic composure for a player so young.

Matip has been really good for the last few months of the season but I'd like to see us go again with Virgil and Gomez for next season.  

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic