You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Everyone is splashing the cash so we need to do the same

tlw content

Jurgen Klopp has signalled that Liverpool will be much more active in the summer transfer window than what was previously thought.

There was a wide held view that the Reds would be quiet players on the market, looking for complementary pieces rather than big money signings.

However The Mirror (via German broadcaster ZDF) reported Klopp as saying that a change of approach may be in order.

"Liverpool is an ambitious club and if we didn't spend the same amount of money as others, we wouldn't be able to compete.

" Everybody's splashing the cash, so we have to do the same."

61617127-jurgen-klopp.jpg

This time of the year brings all kinds of wild speculation with one rumour currently doing the rounds seeing the club linked with PSG star Kylian Mbappe.

Another player who has come onto the radar of late is Real Betis left-back Junior Firpo.

The Mirror also reports that the Spanish U/21 international will set the club back in the region of £45 million.

It seems a remarkably high figure when you take into account that he would be competing with Andy Robertson for a starting berth who is rightly regarded as one of the best in his position in world football.

But there is no doubt that Klopp required a reliable backup for Robbo, especially as you have to plan as best you can for all scenarios which may arise during a gruelling season.

It is the same issue that faces the front three with Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane facing busy international schedules in the off-season.

Divock Origi certainly proved his worth in a back-up role last season, but another senior attacker may be required to join the squad. 

All there is to say about this period of the football calendar is, expect the unexpected.

View full article

1 hour ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Am I the only one who thinks he said this to explain the money spent for VVD and Alisson? 

"Didn't" = past tense

"Don't" = future tense

Cash has been splashed.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

"Didn't" = past tense

"Don't" = future tense

Cash has been splashed.

The irritating energy vampire in me wants me to point out that its a conditional and so in that context didn't would apply to a hypothetical future.

If he were referring to the past then "if we hadn't spent the same amount of money as others, we wouldn't have been able to compete" or "if we hadn't spent the same amount of money as others, we wouldn't be able to compete" would be more appropriate.

That being said, if the quotes are direct and he was speaking in English, then his language ability is probably not at that level yet and he may well be referring to the past. Or he may have been mistranslated.

My energy vampire also wants to say that whatever the meaning, we won't be splashing cash. Certainly not the extent stated by the Mirror. 45 million for a backup left back....... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

48 minutes ago, M_B said:

The irritating energy vampire in me wants me to point out that its a conditional and so in that context didn't would apply to a hypothetical future.

If he were referring to the past then "if we hadn't spent the same amount of money as others, we wouldn't have been able to compete" or "if we hadn't spent the same amount of money as others, we wouldn't be able to compete" would be more appropriate.

That being said, if the quotes are direct and he was speaking in English, then his language ability is probably not at that level yet and he may well be referring to the past. Or he may have been mistranslated.

"I'm not native so.."

We'll hear something similar from Klopp soon.