You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think we should have a 2nd referendum on Brexit?

Bjornebye

Would you back a 2nd referendum?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back a 2nd referendum?

Yes, although I would prefer just revoking article 50.

And, I'll be brutally honest, I don't actually give a fuck about it shitting on "democracy". Firstly, because the campaign was built on a solid bed of horseshit. That goes back decades actually. I don't really think democracy means much when the population is so bewilderingly clueless due to a steady diet of outright lies from a media owned by a half a dozen tax dodging billionaires, and a state broadcaster with Stockholm syndrome.

So, no. Fuck the referendum. Just revoke article 50. Tell all the dribble chins in Mansfield and Marbella that the UK has left. Give them a blue passport and a ration book, and tell them that they're legally allowed to shout the word "paki" three times a week.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I'd love it but I just think we'd get the same result; people don't like being told they're wrong and stupid. Political discourse is in tatters at the moment and populism rules, I think re-running the vote only fuels that.

I think a lot of people who didn't vote because they didn't think the country was that stupid would vote. 

4 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I'd love it but I just think we'd get the same result; people don't like being told they're wrong and stupid. Political discourse is in tatters at the moment and populism rules, I think re-running the vote only fuels that.

Yeah, I don't think it would solve anything and like you I think that Leave would win again.

I'd like to see a second referendum purely to see how much it would agitate Leave voters and the likes of Farage.  But as a matter of general principle I accept the result of the first referendum and accept that we should leave in some capacity.

I also think there is the potential for serious civil unrest if there's a second referendum.  

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Yeah, I don't think it would solve anything and like you I think that Leave would win again.

I'd like to see a second referendum purely to see how much it would agitate Leave voters and the likes of Farage.  But as a matter of general principle I accept the result of the first referendum and accept that we should leave in some capacity.

I also think there is the potential for serious civil unrest if there's a second referendum.  

I think this is inevitable either way. 

18 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

This is where I am.

Completely for the principle of it and actively want it, but do think the same result will be returned.

Iv'e stated my view on numerous occasions. Leaving aside the the fact that the first referendum was advisory and the protocol called for a confirmatory vote, the dodgy funding and the evidence of Russian interference which has never been properly investigated then 3 years on it's unsafe to pretend the first result should be sacrosanct and people should not have a chance to reconsider. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I would love for the UK to remain in the EU, but don’t think it’s wise to ignore the majority who voted for leaving the EU.

You seem to be missing that the whole idea of a second referendum is to see if that majority is still there.

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

I accept the result of the first referendum.

I do not accept the clamour for a hard Brexit or no deal.  That wasn't what it said on the tin.  

Yes it was.

Control over immigration = Must leave single market

Sovereignty and control over our own laws = Must leave Customs Union

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yes it was.

Sovereignty and control of our own laws = Must leave Customs Union

And do you think 17 million joined those dots ?  Hardly given all the main leave players said the EU needs us more than we them and they would give us a great deal. Don't get me started on what some lying cunts pasted on a bus.

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yes it was.

Sovereignty and control over our own laws = Must leave Customs Union

Bollocks on both counts.

"Immigration control" is perfectly permissible under existing EU law.  The UK did not invoke it and allowed unfettered freedom of movement.  No referendum was required.

Parliament has always been sovereign and has always had the ability to make its own laws, subject to alignment with EU regulations is some specific instances.

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

And do you think 17 million joined those dots ?  Hardly given all the main leave players said the EU needs us more than we them and they would give us a great deal. Don't get me started on what some lying cunts pasted on a bus.

I'd say the vast majority of the people interviewed in the aftermath of the referendum (that were open about voting leave) used either sovereignty or immigration as the principle reason for doing so. It's impossible to control immigration within the single market because it's prerequisite is free movement of people. It's impossible to have full control over our laws when our tariffs and regulations (for all kinds of things) are decided by the EU. This is just common sense.

So whether they connected the dots or not is irrelevant. They voted for what would now be deemed a hard Brexit. 

16 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Bollocks on both counts.

"Immigration control" is perfectly permissible under existing EU law.  The UK did not invoke it and allowed unfettered freedom of movement.  No referendum was required.

Parliament has always been sovereign and has always had the ability to make its own laws, subject to alignment with EU regulations is some specific instances.

I think you'll find they are facts, on both counts.

Cameron went to the EU to ask for concessions (before the referendum) to give the UK more control over it's own borders. They laughed him out of the room. So the idea that the EU are receptive towards allowing us to change our immigration policy is untrue.

Parliament is sovereign in terms of the laws it can pass without EU intervention but the EU controls between 13% and 65% of our laws based on different sectors - some sectors obviously have more influence than others. it's duplicitous to say we have full control over our laws unless we have 100% control, don't you agree?

Only way out of this is a second referendum or a break up of the Union by fucking over Northern Ireland with the Scots following soon after  ...anything else will destroy the UK for generations . All this bollix about "people were informed" or it was about laws/Immigration is horseshit ...UK always had control over both those things .I've spent 3 years boggle eyed at the stupidity of people ,Fishermen voting to leave while waving goodbye to their 40Mill subsidies just about sums up the whole thing . What it  clearly shows is that the Leave lot clearly had no idea what it really meant or how to do it .There's a weird irony in Ireland being the one to kill Brexit while saving the Union

• Upvote 3