You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Championship Draft - Final Table - Voting

Bjornebye

Vote for your two best sides  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your two best sides

Please vote for the best 2 teams in the league. 

You can vote even if you didn't play.

If you did play, do not vote for your team. 

Voting closes 12pm on Saturday 

John 102

1757751_AFC_Ajax.jpg

MegadriveMan

1757720_Accrington_Stanley.jpg

viRdjil

1757648_Sassuolo.jpg

Sugar Ape

1757709_Holland.jpg

Elite

1757706_Ukraine.jpg

Stig

1757654_Italy.jpg

3 Stacks

image.png

Alex_K

1757665_Pro_Evolution_Soccer_Team.jpg

Little pitch for my team:

I think I have the most balanced and sensible side in the draft and there are no weak players in the 11.

In defense, I've got arguably the best CB ever and a jet-heeled world cup and multiple time champions league winner. Brehme on the left who is one of the best left backs ever and once finished 3rd in the Ballon d'Or and Ramos on the right who is a world cup and european championship winner at right back. They all complement each other. Ramos is more defense first on Stoichkov's side to guard against his lack of workrate and Brehme on the left combining with Bale is a brilliant combination. Ramos also allows to guard against Baresi's lack of height. 

In midfield, I've got a Ballon d'Or winner in Modric and a perfect partner in Davids. Davids is on Stoichkov's side to defend and Modric can carry the ball forward, something at which he is one of the best ever. Rui Costa is one of the most technically gifted players of all time. Great balance. Davids the destroyer, Modric can break the press and move it forward and Costa is your classic #10. 

In attack, Bale and Stoichkov are two direct, explosive players who would trouble anybody on the counter. Bale is one of the fastest players ever and plays on the left where he destroyed defenders for Spurs. Stoichkov on the right where he can cut in, play more inside and use his hammer of a left foot. Owen up front is another Ballon d'Or winner and adds to the ridiculous pace of the attack.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Little pitch for my team:

I think I have the most balanced and sensible side in the draft and there are no weak players in the 11.

In defense, I've got arguably the best CB ever and a jet-heeled world cup and multiple time champions league winner. Brehme on the left who is one of the best left backs ever and once finished 3rd in the Ballon d'Or and Ramos on the right who is a world cup and european championship winner at right back. They all complement each other. Ramos is more defense first on Stoichkov's side to guard against his lack of workrate and Brehme on the left combining with Bale is a brilliant combination. Ramos also allows to guard against Baresi's lack of height. 

In midfield, I've got a Ballon d'Or winner in Modric and a perfect partner in Davids. Davids is on Stoichkov's side to defend and Modric can carry the ball forward, something at which he is one of the best ever. Rui Costa is one of the most technically gifted players of all time. Great balance. Davids the destroyer, Modric can break the press and move it forward and Costa is your classic #10. 

In attack, Bale and Stoichkov are two direct, explosive players who would trouble anybody on the counter. Bale is one of the fastest players ever and plays on the left where he destroyed defenders for Spurs. Stoichkov on the right where he can cut in, play more inside and use his hammer of a left foot. Owen up front is another Ballon d'Or winner and adds to the ridiculous pace of the attack.

I like your team. I also like how you have restricted Michael Owen to a single line in your write up. Very sensible.

You have my vote

As for my vote:

The ones who I vote for are the ones whose teams make the most sense.

Megadriveman is a cert. Great team. Balanced, no obviously weak players. The only thing I would say about his formation is that Alonso on the left of a diamond is not ideal as usually you'd want someone who can get up and down the pitch and an athlete on the sides. Other than that, there's nothing else negative to say. 

My second one I've gone with Alex K. Again, more balanced than others, players playing in the right positions with a formation that suits them. No real weaknesses. 

Why I didn't vote for the other teams:

Stig has an insane amount of talent, but Coentrao is too weak and you're asking Matthaus to do absolutely everything in midfield. 

Elite: Lack of width. Rakitic in a lone holding role. Berbatov a bit weak for this. Vieira, Ballack and Nedved is a monster midfield, though. 

Sugar Ape: Turan and Coleman aren't good enough and so the right side is completely compromised. Centre backs are slow. Gullit and Gerrard is brutal, though. 

aRdja: Pretty unbalanced team. Laudrup in a midfield 2 doesn't make loads of sense. Fullbacks are weak. Great collection of talent but they don't really fit together in a coherent way. 

John: It was between John and Alex for my second pick. Went with Alex because there are more goals in his team, but John's team is balanced and well constructed. 

Guest Alex_K

V hard to choose. Comfortably the best quality output I’ve seen given the restrictive nature of the game. Loads of really good teams. Will post choices later

I'll do the other teams first... All the teams are strong so I might have to nitpick a bit to separate them.

John 102

You have Eriksen selected in the selection thread but Anderson in your team? I'm going to assume that is Patrik Anderson? Anyway solid keeper, great wingbacks, two great defenders and one pretty average one. I like the midfield two, really classy, but think there might be a struggle for goals in this side when you get to the front three. Sterling has had a couple of very good seasons but is still a bit inconsistent in front of goal. Figo didn't score many goals in his career and Mijatovic only broke the 20 goal a season mark once. In addition I don't think Mijatovic would do so well as a lone striker. I've picked him before in a draft a couple of times and he was more of a 10, like say a Bergkamp, with Suker playing ahead of him.

MegadriveMan

Best keeper in the draft and a decent defence in front of him. Bergomi is a really underrated player who rarely gets picked in these drafts. Solid midfield but no sure about the position of Alonso. Maybe lacks a bit of goals from midfield but there are plenty of goals in the front three which negates that to some degree. Not sure Bergkamp ever played behind a front two being a striker himself but feel he could adapt there pretty well. Only other criticism would be not a lot of width in the side as Bergomi was more of a pure defender than an attacking fullback.

Ardja

Great keeper and centre back pairing, though I personally think it would have looked better with Sammer ahead of Kohler to give your defence a bit of silk and steel. Instead you've got two tough, uncompromising players who would be very difficult to play against. Fullbacks are quite weak in comparison to a lot of the rest of the draft. Interesting midfield and very creative, I think Laudrup would be alright in a midfield two if he had Rikjaard next to him but think you've got maybe one too many playmaker who likes to play centrally there. Up front I think Zlatan would make a good foil for Henry.

Elite

Very good and classy centre back pairing but let down by Helveg and Given quite a bit. Pearce was a favourite of mine as a kid but think he's maybe a step behind some of the other left backs in the draft. Midfield is great but really think you needed to swap Vieira and Rakitic around. As it stands I don't think Rakitic would work at the base. Ballack and Nedved are two great picks. Up front you've got the best striker in the draft and the worst striker in the draft which kind of takes the shine off Van Basten a little.

Stig

Could have been a great team this but ended up a bit of a mess. Decent enough keeper, great right back and McGrath was a good value pick at centre back. Popescu was a decent player but nothing special and Coentrao is a weal pick at left back. Matthaus was the best box-to-box midfielder of all time imo but he can't carry a midfield on his own and he would just get swamped. Feel you could have dropped Larsson for another centre mid and your team would have looked a lot better. Or kept either Totti OR Iniesta and put another centre mid in place of them. As it stands great players like Robben and Barnes are wasted because of the formation. Actually thinking about it,  Larsson might be the weakest striker in the draft.

3 Stacks

Superb defence and keeper. Brehme is the second best left back I've seen after Carlos, good centre back pairing and Ramos was a quality right back earlier in his career. Good midfield pairing but I think Rui Costa is weaker than the players around him, good player he undoubtedly was. Dynamic pairing on the wings though Bale is at his best on the other side I think. Owen is the weak link in the team as he always needed a striker next to him to hold the ball up and do his work for him be that Heskey or Shearer. He was a great player no question but don't think he's really suited to that formation.

Alex_K

Weak keeper in comparison to the others but a couple of good fullback picks who could run up and down the wing all day. Centre back pairing is nice too. Midfield might be lacking a bit of pace and could be open to a more dynamic midfield. Zidane behind Shevchenko is a great pairing, and Hagi is one of the best value picks. If I'm being picky then Villa never really played on the right and was much better as a centre forward or coming in off the left like Henry. Quick sears suggests he played 256 games in the centre, 100 on the left and only 18 on the right.

All in all I'm going to go with Ardja and MegadriveMan as my two.

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I'll do the other teams first... All the teams are strong so I might have to nitpick a bit to separate them.

John 102

You have Eriksen selected in the selection thread but Anderson in your team? I'm going to assume that is Patrik Anderson? Anyway solid keeper, great wingbacks, two great defenders and one pretty average one. I like the midfield two, really classy, but think there might be a struggle for goals in this side when you get to the front three. Sterling has had a couple of very good seasons but is still a bit inconsistent in front of goal. Figo didn't score many goals in his career and Mijatovic only broke the 20 goal a season mark once. In addition I don't think Mijatovic would do so well as a lone striker. I've picked him before in a draft a couple of times and he was more of a 10, like say a Bergkamp, with Suker playing ahead of him.

MegadriveMan

Best keeper in the draft and a decent defence in front of him. Bergomi is a really underrated player who rarely gets picked in these drafts. Solid midfield but no sure about the position of Alonso. Maybe lacks a bit of goals from midfield but there are plenty of goals in the front three which negates that to some degree. Not sure Bergkamp ever played behind a front two being a striker himself but feel he could adapt there pretty well. Only other criticism would be not a lot of width in the side as Bergomi was more of a pure defender than an attacking fullback.

Ardja

Great keeper and centre back pairing, though I personally think it would have looked better with Sammer ahead of Kohler to give your defence a bit of silk and steel. Instead you've got two tough, uncompromising players who would be very difficult to play against. Fullbacks are quite weak in comparison to a lot of the rest of the draft. Interesting midfield and very creative, I think Laudrup would be alright in a midfield two if he had Rikjaard next to him but think you've got maybe one too many playmaker who likes to play centrally there. Up front I think Zlatan would make a good foil for Henry.

Elite

Very good and classy centre back pairing but let down by Helveg and Given quite a bit. Pearce was a favourite of mine as a kid but think he's maybe a step behind some of the other left backs in the draft. Midfield is great but really think you needed to swap Vieira and Rakitic around. As it stands I don't think Rakitic would work at the base. Ballack and Nedved are two great picks. Up front you've got the best striker in the draft and the worst striker in the draft which kind of takes the shine off Van Basten a little.

Stig

Could have been a great team this but ended up a bit of a mess. Decent enough keeper, great right back and McGrath was a good value pick at centre back. Popescu was a decent player but nothing special and Coentrao is a weal pick at left back. Matthaus was the best box-to-box midfielder of all time imo but he can't carry a midfield on his own and he would just get swamped. Feel you could have dropped Larsson for another centre mid and your team would have looked a lot better. Or kept either Totti OR Iniesta and put another centre mid in place of them. As it stands great players like Robben and Barnes are wasted because of the formation. Actually thinking about it,  Larsson might be the weakest striker in the draft.

3 Stacks

Superb defence and keeper. Brehme is the second best left back I've seen after Carlos, good centre back pairing and Ramos was a quality right back earlier in his career. Good midfield pairing but I think Rui Costa is weaker than the players around him, good player he undoubtedly was. Dynamic pairing on the wings though Bale is at his best on the other side I think. Owen is the weak link in the team as he always needed a striker next to him to hold the ball up and do his work for him be that Heskey or Shearer. He was a great player no question but don't think he's really suited to that formation.

Alex_K

Weak keeper in comparison to the others but a couple of good fullback picks who could run up and down the wing all day. Centre back pairing is nice too. Midfield might be lacking a bit of pace and could be open to a more dynamic midfield. Zidane behind Shevchenko is a great pairing, and Hagi is one of the best value picks. If I'm being picky then Villa never really played on the right and was much better as a centre forward or coming in off the left like Henry. Quick sears suggests he played 256 games in the centre, 100 on the left and only 18 on the right.

All in all I'm going to go with Ardja and MegadriveMan as my two.

Bollocks 

My working for my side - Think Kahn speaks for himself. A world class keeper and a dominant personality. Centre halves are both hard, snide dirty bastards. Don't think Pepe is slow either and certainly not any slower than loads of centre backs picked in this draft such as Vertonghen or Alderweireld and I loved Mihajlovic, not the best defender in the draft by any means but offers a hell of a lot more than a conventional defender. Zambrotta was world class in either full back positions and Coleman was a pick I had to make but I fully acknowledge he's a weak pick in comparison to some of the other right backs selected. He was still a very good attacking fullback in his prime though.

Midfield I think I've got the best in the draft, no question. Desailly spent the best five years of his career at Milan and played the whole time in centre mid. He also played there in a European cup final win and scored in the same final. Gullit and Gerrard are both absolute bosses who could do everything. Pace, power, aerial ability, goals, skill, they had it all and I think any side would get strangled by this midfield.

Up front I've gone for three quick direct players. Hazard and Torres are both fantastic players at their peak and with Stevie and Gullit behind them offering support would get plenty of support and chances created. Turan is weak compared to some of the other right forwards in the draft but he was still a very good player in his prime and one a lot of Liverpool fans were desperate to sign. I think he'd compliment the other two up top well and also work his balls off for the team.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bollocks 

Who, with the possible exception of Berbatov, is he better than from the list below?

Larsson

Mijatovic

Cristiano Ronaldo

Lewandowski

Zlatan

Henry

Torres

Berbatov

Van Basten

Totti

Owen

Shevchenko

John102 - I’m not sure what formation you playing. 3-4-3? Is it like Spurs and Koeman is playing the Dier role? Your forward line needs another goalscorer, because neither Figo nor Mijatovic was a prolific scorer.

Megadrive Man - There are three concerns I have with your team; 1) Bergkamp was more a second striker as opposed to an AM. 2) Both Alonso and Makelele prefer to play the sitting role, so I would’ve played them as double pivot myself. The Spaniards doesn’t have the legs to move up and down the pitch, as you’d expect someone in that position to do. 3) Bergomi was more a defensive full back, and it makes your side a bit narrow

Sugar Ape - The midfield won him my vote. Watched a video comp of Gullit and he looked immense. I like Desailly sitting behind the two midfielders as you could picture him slotting back between the two centre halfs and allow the two attacking full backs to push up. Torres and Hazard are good enough to make up for the inclusion of Arda.

Elite - This might be my lack of knowledge. I don’t think Nedved ever played as a no 10. From what I’ve seen of his, he was a left midfielder. Rakitic as a defensive midfielder also not optimal IMO. Bit of a shame as if you were to pick a right midfielder instead of Rakitic, and change the shape of your midfield to a flat midfield 4, then you would’ve got my vote.

Stig - I’m not convinced by 3/4 or your defence, though you have the best right back in the competition. My main problem with your team is that your team are one DM short of almost making up for it. Swap Larsson with Didi and your setup works. With Totti playing the false 9 role combining with your two electric wide attackers.

3 Stacks - Class defence, but the midfield and forward setup don’t quite work. Davids was an all action CM with excellent engine, but in this setup you’re taking away his best asset by asking him to hold. The forward line needs more a Benzema other than an Owen. Owen At his best was a devastating striker, but was never very good at bringing other players into play. 

Alex K - Good solid defence, nice midfield combination; Pirlo holding, Whelan box to box and Zidane creating. Perhaps not the best at winning the ball though? Good forward line, even though Villa is on the wrong side. 

Just voted. 

Went for John and Sugar Ape.

John has got a really good team.I think he'd win this quite comfortably if he had a better striker than Mijatovic.

A really well balanced team with no obvious weaknesses. 

Sugar Ape Great the second best team, only let down by the choices on the right hand side.

Desailly was an excellent midfielder for Milan, even if he played more games at centre back. Everbody has got at least one player not playing in their best position.