You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diao looking to leave...

MLB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see us having to let a couple of players go on frees - possibly even with a payoff - in order to get them off the wage bill. Who's going to stump up a transfer fee for Diao or Diouf when they know that: a) the players are failures at Liverpool, b) we are desperate to get rid, and c) they're on ridiculous wages?

I can see us struggling to get anything for any of the players currently on loan, no matter how well they do. In short, getting rid of the cackers is going to cost us a lot of money.

Seems that after scoring he thinks he maybe should be first choice, and if he isn't then he'll be looking to move on.

He lives in a mad, mad, mad, mad world.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get all my Salif captions in the next issue as he'll probably be gone shortly after.

Wasn't Portsmouth interested? Or was that in Diouf?

It was reportedly both, but I've got a contact at Pompey who says they didn't really want Diouf and Diao was just somebody who was mentioned when it looked like Amdy Faye was gonna leave for Fulham.

Once Fulham signed Diop and Faye stayed at Pompey, Diao was off the menu.

Doubt if they'll come back in for him, but we can but hope.

Well...the scary thing is that he has been playing regularely lately... Chelsea,Fulham and Millwall... But i hope what he really means is that he should be picked ahead of Alonso,Gerrard and Hamann... If he does, then it should be easy transferring him to the nearest nut house and claim some money back on the player insurance ;)

From today's Mirror...

GARFORTH? IT'S JUST LIKE WATCHING BRAZIL! Socrates, Zico and Careca swop Rio for Yorkshire

By David Anderson

SAMBA superstars Zico and Careca have agreed to come to England to join their old pal Socrates and play for non-league Garforth Town.

Garforth (it's near Leeds and they play in the Northern Counties East League Division One) have done what every big English club dreamt of doing in the 1980s.

The club's ambitious owner and manager Simon Clifford has managed to persuade Brazilian football giants Zico and Careca to come out of retirement and pull on their boots once more.

Clifford, who has extensive contacts in Brazil through the Samba Soccer Schools which he runs in England, agreed a deal with Socrates earlier this week to come over as player-coach and now he has landed two more of South America's biggest names.

Zico thrilled a generation of fans all over the world with his sublime skills, while Careca was Brazil's top scorer with five goals in the 1986 Mexico World Cup.

Clifford knows both men and he claims the 44-year-old Careca has promised that he will come over to play for Garforth next season.

And Clifford added that 51-year-old Zico, who is the coach of Japan, had also given him his word that he would line up for the club a couple of times next year.

To put it mildly, Garforth are rarely packed out at their 3,000-capacity Wheatley Park ground, but Clifford claims there has been an upsurge in interest since he announced the signings of the Brazilians.

The middle-aged trio are hardly in the prime of their careers, but Clifford hopes they will still entertain the crowd and teach his players a trick or two.

"Careca has told me he will come over and play next season and Zico has told me he is going to try his best to play for Garforth," he said.

"Last year we had about 50 people watching but that's gone up to about 500 now. Since we announced Socrates was coming and Zico and Careca could be on their way, we've had calls from Japan and the USA.

"It's incredible and we've even got people wanting to buy Garforth Town shirts for the first time."

Socrates, who captained Brazil at the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, will be the first to arrive next month and he has agreed to play a couple of games for free.

The chain-smoking midfielder has agreed a short-term contract to coach and play and is due to make his debut against division leaders Tadcaster Albion on November 20, just a day after he is due to arrive from Sao Paulo.

Socrates, now 50, retired 14 years ago, but Clifford claims he is still in good physical shape, despite the cigarettes.

"I put out a few feelers through my contacts in Brazil and Socrates said he would be interested," he said. "He's a principled guy and isn't interested in the money - which is just as well because we're not paying him!

"I'm told he's still in good shape, although he's still smoking. I'm pretty strict on discipline and smoking, but I guess I can make an exception for him."

Clifford also tried to sign 1994 World Cup winners Romario and Bebeto, but talks broke down because they asked for money to play.

Clifford had more success in landing former England winger Lee Sharpe last week and he has big plans for his Garforth part-timers.

Tongue firmly in cheek, he said: "It's all part of my plan to get us into the Premiership by 2025. Leeds only has one side and I want to make sure they have two in the not-too-distant future."

RUGBY LEAGUE? NO WONDER THEY ARE FLOCKING IN

- Garforth Town's Wheatley Park holds 3,000 - that's just 197,000 fewer than the Maracana Stadium's attendance for the 1950 World Cup final.

- The average crowd of 500 will be swelled to near- capacity when Socrates makes his debut against local rivals Tadcaster Albion next month.

- Town play in the Northern Counties East League - four divisions below Coca-Cola League Two.

- Garforth is a former pit village and its nearest professional club is Leeds United, which is less than seven miles away.

- Rugby League is also big in the area, with loyalties split between Leeds and Castleford.

- Socrates should feel at home with the non-league minnows - they play in yellow-and-green.

- Manager Simon Clifford will relax a strict no-smoking policy for his players to accommodate Socrates' 20-a-day habit.

- Socrates retired from playing in 1990 but keeps fit in Brazil by turning out as a guest in friendly games throughout the season.

- The 50-year-old midfielder captained Brazil in two World Cups - 1982 and 1986.

- Socrates joins former Manchester United and Leeds winger Lee Sharpe among the club's famous ex-pros.

From today's Mirror...

- Town play in the Northern Counties East League - four divisions below Coca-Cola League Two.

- Garforth is a former pit village and its nearest professional club is Leeds United, which is less than seven miles away.

Looking at the way things are going, i guess they will be playing local derbies at Elland Road in the not so distant future!! ;)

That's class. My auntie lives in Garforth.

Gotta hate Bebeto and Romario, the money grabbing gobshites.

lee Sharpe was supposed to coach my mates team in Leeds this year and he deserted them after 4 games for the bright lights of Garforth town. Shit house.

I'm sick of the big guns destroying the game with their mega-money! :-)

Reminds me of that cricket team that tour the country and are put together by a promoter...might be called Sandals but i'm not sure.

He gets Lara, Richardson, Adams, and loads of other stars to turn out against sides and puts music, beer, food and everything on...looks like a pretty decent way to spend a day.