You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Kinks V The Who

Sugar Ape

Which one should I order?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I order?

10 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

This thread has given me an idea for a band wars thread that I might come back to but that’s not why I started it...

Got a discount code for a vinyl from Amazon so I’m going to order either The best of The Kinks 1964-1970 or The Who hits 50. What say the GF?

The best of The Kinks 1964-1970. Side one mono, side two stereo.

Side 1

1."You Really Got Me" (2:12)

2."All Day & All Of The Night" (2:21)

3."Tired Of Waiting For You" (2:30)

4."Set Me Free" (2:11)

5."See My Friends" (2:44)

6."A Well Respected Man" (2:39)

7."Till The End Of The Day" (2:17)

8."Dedicated Follower Of Fashion" (3:00)

9."Sunny Afternoon" (3:34)

Side 2

1."Dead End Street" (3:17)

2."Mr Pleasant" (3:01)

3."Waterloo Sunset" (3:16)

4."Victoria" (3:38)

5."Lola" (album version) (3:58)

6."Apeman" (3:50)

The Who hits 50

Disc: 1

Zoot Suit - The High Numbers

I Can't Explain

Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere

My Generation

Substitute

I'm A Boy

Happy Jack

Pictures Of Lily

I Can See For Miles

Magic Bus

Pinball Wizard

Disc: 2

The Seeker

Won't Get Fooled Again

Baba O'Riley

Bargain

Join Together

5: 15

Squeeze Box

Who Are You

Real Good Looking Boy

Be Lucky

It’s a fucking record.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ha ha. Such as?

Christ, the possibilities are almost limitless. There has never been a better time for new music. It’s absolutely everywhere and all via a couple of clicks on your phone. So many amazing podcasts, mixes and radio shows available online no matter what your tastes. Use them as the inspiration and then go from there. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Paul said:

Christ, the possibilities are almost limitless. There has never been a better time for new music. It’s absolutely everywhere and all via a couple of clicks on your phone. So many amazing podcasts, mixes and radio shows available online no matter what your tastes. Use them as the inspiration and then go from there. 

You heard of a producer called Godriguez? Newish Melbourne producer, influenced by shadow and a stax soul vibe, pretty good instrumental hip hop, he also produced sampa the greats first album.

https://godriguezgodriguez.bandcamp.com

https://sampathegreat.bandcamp.com/

i was in a record store locally, asked the bloke about the godriguez album, wondering if it was a nod to Rodriguez, took a flyer on the album and it’s a good

listen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

There is good music about but saying there has never been a better time for it is pushing it a bit. The internet certainly makes accessing it very easy but I think some of the fun has gone out of it too as a result.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paul said:

FFUOouOEv3rKo.gif

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mook said:

There is good music about but saying there has never been a better time for it is pushing it a bit. The internet certainly makes accessing it very easy but I think some of the fun has gone out of it too as a result.

Couldn’t disagree more. I’ve been a music head all my life to the point where I literally can’t remember a time where it wasn’t a constant. My vinyl collection is numbered in the low thousands, I DJed for years and listen for hours on end every week. I constantly hear new stuff and buzz off it all the time. It’s the same buzz as there ever was, but I just get it far more frequently. 

I have no interest in whether music is cool, underground or whatever. I just fucking love hearing something that gives me that feeling in my stomach that says, “This is a tune”. It’s very similar to seeing a great goal scored at the match, but more drawn out and harder to dilute. 

For me as a fan of music, the combination of phone and 4G/wireless connectivity was the best thing to ever happen. I can explore as broadly and as deeply as I like and never, ever be done - never mind grow bored. 

So as far as “pushing it” goes, it’s quite the opposite. It doesn’t really do justice to my daily experience of music.