You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Food and drink that you love that others seem not to like.

Tony Moanero

26 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Well yeah if it's in some shitty powder form as an additive or something.  But if we're talking chunks of celery then definitely not. 

Chopped up with some onion, garlic and carrot as the basis for plenty of saucy things.

Think about your soffritos and mirepoix man!

I agree on raw celery though - crap.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about kippers.

Always have kippers in the freezer. 

Sardines and toast and kippers and toast, would piss off the family. 

Love herring as well, my dad used to take me to the docks in Schevingnen (Netherlands) and we would get it right off the boats. This was in the mid-late 70s. 

They sell it over here in jars alongside pickled eggs but once you’ve had it like fresh there’s really no point.

I think when you get older, food wise, you go back to your youth. I remember eating a lot of liver, kidney and cottage/shepherd pies. In the Netherlands I remember pofferrjes and frikandels, and herring and mussels. My Dad got a promotion and one year he bought a freezer and ordered a whole fucking cow from Argentina all butchered up. We ate steak like five times a week. Then the Canadian dollar crashed and he somehow lost a fair chunk of change in the exchange rate or something and we were living off of pancakes it seemed. And my memory may be faded but I think that’s when we ate a lot

of mussels for Sunday dinners. Also remember a lot of pasta Sunday dinners and the fancy treat was a baguette garlic bread.  Actually baguette featured quite heavily for a year or so. 

My Dad used to curse   when some of

the mussels wouldn’t open during steaming. 

Olives, capers, seafood, marmite, offal, black pudding, mushrooms (blows my mind that some people don’t like them), pickles of all kinds, beans (again, what’s not to like?), pâté, sprouts, spinach, asparagus, aubergine, blue cheese , smelly cheese (Brie and the like), avocado, mayo, eggs cooked any way you like, etc, etc. 

2 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

I think when you get older, food wise, you go back to your youth. I remember eating a lot of liver, kidney and cottage/shepherd pies. In the Netherlands I remember pofferrjes and frikandels, and herring and mussels. My Dad got a promotion and one year he bought a freezer and ordered a whole fucking cow from Argentina all butchered up. We ate steak like five times a week. Then the Canadian dollar crashed and he somehow lost a fair chunk of change in the exchange rate or something and we were living off of pancakes it seemed. And my memory may be faded but I think that’s when we ate a lot

of mussels for Sunday dinners. Also remember a lot of pasta Sunday dinners and the fancy treat was a baguette garlic bread.  Actually baguette featured quite heavily for a year or so. 

Heh, we had a freezer full of stuff like pig's heads, rabbits and god knows what else. A couple of things we had as a kid that my dad liked and I could never stomach- tripe and pig's trotters. The former because of the revolting texture, plus it was cooked in milk, and the latter because of the horrible gristle and fat. He also had eels from time to time, which I refused to touch point blank.

9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

This reminds me, I saw a beetroot based pizza in the supermarket here the other day. I think it was Dr. Oetkers. 

Is it possible that Remmie is actually Dr. Oetkers?

We sell pickled eggs in the pub. 50p each. Not a fan myself but the punters love them. 

I like omelettes and scrambled eggs slightly undercooked and sloppy. Much tastier than when fully cooked and rubbery. Makes some people heave though. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

This reminds me, I saw a beetroot based pizza in the supermarket here the other day. I think it was Dr. Oetkers. 

I'm going to burn down his factory. It's only a few KM's from where I live. 

4 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Dutch cunts eating Pokemon!