You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2018/19 Season Report Card - Divock Origi

tlw content

One of the least likely success stories in recent times. Two years ago he was loaned out because he was (rightfully) behind Dom Solanke in the pecking order. One year ago he was on the market but nobody was willing to meet an asking price reported to be around £20m.

Wolves were the one club who seemed genuinely interested last summer, but they wouldn’t pay the asking price and the rest is history.

As it turns out, the goals he scored this season were worth more than double the fee we wanted for him. Funny old game, Saint.

I’ll be honest, I’d have happily seen Divock leave last summer as he’d done nothing for two years and there was no reason to think this year would be any different. He didn’t exactly light it up in pre-season, and with Sturridge looking rejuvenated and fitter than he’d done for years, Origi just looked like a spare part.

There was nothing to suggest he’d have much of a role to play and that’s why he was available for such a relatively low fee. £20m might not seem like that low a fee, but in today’s market it really is. He’s an international striker and only 24 years of age. Someone really should have taken him for £20m but luckily for us they never. 

It’s really tough getting a handle on him. For a while there he looked like he was going to be a real player, but after the Funes Mori tackle he just wasn’t the same. I don’t think it was the injury itself that did the damage, it was more that it came at a time when he was absolutely killing it, and when he came back he wasn’t at the same level and his confidence suffered.

He just never looked the same and his loan in Germany last year was mostly a waste of time. This late season impact he’s had just pretty much came out of nowhere. He deserves every bit of adulation that comes his way though because the success he had was a direct result hard work and a fantastic attitude. I can't praise him enough.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note, 'Season Report Cards' are only be available to TLW subscribers. Subscriptions are just £2 per month and can be purchased here.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Dave, I agree that it's a tough one to say what to do next.  I'd keep him if he wants to stay as he's a known quantity who clearly makes the squad better and hasn't sat around and sulked (and took the money).

You didn't mention the parallels with David Fairclough - the winner v Everton (also 1-0) and the winner in a must win Euro tie as the clock ran down; both games at Anfield albeit not in the same season.

His final goal should’ve come out as the winner for “best moment” for me, Clive.

yes, the goals against Barca were essential to us even being there, but considering that spurs had finally started to threaten, and his goal killed the game and guaranteed us the trophy, that was even bigger.

the Barca game as a whole was better. A better performance, against a better team, and totally unprecedented.

But, any goal in a champions league final is huge. The winner, with 3 minutes or so to play, is massive.

i agree with the rest, but as I say, that’s his best moment, with the Barca semi and derby goal in the “commendations” category.

• dave u unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Erm..... I contributed as much as anyone in that run-in. Mine better be next ! 

Your report card is easy.

You're still a cunt.

You have to imagine he’ll massively kick on from here, a real cometh the hour cometh the man character. He will never doubt himself again and will forever be a part of Liverpool folklore. Divock’s real problem was ability to completely disappear and his indecision, we saw none of that last year I think the pennies dropped and he’s worked out his game. He’s a great finisher, fast as fuck, big and strong and clearly has a massive set of bollix on him. 100% keep.