Quantcast
2018/19 Season Report Card - Andy Robertson - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

2018/19 Season Report Card - Andy Robertson

What more could Robbo have done this season? In terms of relentless, consistent quality, it might be the best season we’ve ever seen from a full back. Certainly since Stevie Nicol won the Player of the Year award back in the late 80s anyway.

That was the benchmark and no-one has ever really come close to matching it, until this year that is when you can argue that both Trent and Robbo were right up there with ‘Chico’.

Robbo’s consistency is just off the charts. He’s great every week. I genuinely can’t remember him ever having a bad game and he’s only had a few average ones. The rest of the time he ranges between excellent and sensational. You notice it more when he isn’t brilliant than when he is, because those rare occasions when he isn’t really stand out. And even then, he’s rarely (if ever) less than a 7 out of 10.

The only thing missing is the odd goal or two, because other than that he’s been close to perfection. Virgil gets all of the headlines and the awards, and deservedly so, but I ask again, what else could Robbo have done this year? The answer is pretty much nothing. But playing full back isn’t going to win you many awards. It’s not ‘sexy’ enough, although both Trent and Robbo have done a lot to change that this year.

As I said in Trent’s report card, these two have made playing full back cool. They’re the coolest full back pair since Cafu and Roberto Carlos. Kids in the playground want to be Alexander-Arnold or Robertson. ‘Robbo’ is my daughter’s favourite player.

Most kids love the goalscorers. Salah is the most popular player in her school but when I asked her what t-short she wanted me to make her for the final, she immediately said “Andy Robbo” and wouldn’t be swayed. Not that I tried especially hard to sway her. She’s clearly got good taste.

This is just a teaser, click here to read the full report

Please note, 'Season Report Cards' are only be available to TLW subscribers. Subscriptions are just £2 per month and can be purchased here.

My 5 year old son asked for Robertson on his shirt as well so I think the kids are taking notice of the full backs.  My eldest went for Milner last season too so overall I'm pretty happy with my parenting at this point.

Love the T-bone Roysters shout as well. Spot on that!

• Upvote 3

Brilliant stuff!

He doesn't get enough praise, but this is a good start!

He's everything you want in a squad member. Brilliant, humble and hard working.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

My 5 year old son asked for Robertson on his shirt as well so I think the kids are taking notice of the full backs.  My eldest went for Milner last season too so overall I'm pretty happy with my parenting at this point.

Love the T-bone Roysters shout as well. Spot on that!

Same with my son he's 9 and on his last couple of kits has always got Salah on his shirt. Its Robertson now though. great choice. He's definitely one of my favourite players with VVD, Trent and Milner this is up there with a team I've liked more than any others. 

• Upvote 2

Was typically underwhelmed when we were linked with him after being linked with Mendy. Happy to admit I was wrong and that we definitely got the better deal, miles off. To play as much games as he has this season and to be consistent consistently (see, wt I did there) speaks volumes of his dedication and hard work. Have ordered a junior kit with his name for my son. Our full backs didn't cost the club much but boy, does it cost us to have their names on our kit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The year is 2035. The Guest's 16 year old son has been looking forward to the launch of Liverpool's new home shirt. His Dad returns home from work carrying a plastic bag with the club logo on the side. Clearly he's made a stop at the club shop on his way home.

The Guest's Son: "Is that... is that what I think it is Dad?"

The Guest: "Open it and see, son"

The Guest's Son: *grabs bag and pulls out a red shirt* "The new shirt!! Thanks Dad, I'm made up".

The Guest: "You're welcome, son".

The Guest's Son: *turns the shirt around and sees the back* "Robertson??? AGAIN?? Dad, he stopped playing five years ago, he's the manager now! Couldn't you have gotten me Lio Gerrard on it? He's going to tear it up this year"

The Guest: "No, you ungrateful little sod. It's been Andy Robbo every year since you were born and it'll be Andy Robbo every year until I die. Now go and try it on while I go and give this one to your little sister "Andrew".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

44 minutes ago, dave u said:

The year is 2035. The Guest's 16 year old son has been looking forward to the launch of Liverpool's new home shirt. His Dad returns home from work carrying a plastic bag with the club logo on the side. Clearly he's made a stop at the club shop on his way home.

The Guest's Son: "Is that... is that what I think it is Dad?"

The Guest: "Open it and see, son"

The Guest's Son: *grabs bag and pulls out a red shirt* "The new shirt!! Thanks Dad, I'm made up".

The Guest: "You're welcome, son".

The Guest's Son: *turns the shirt around and sees the back* "Robertson??? AGAIN?? Dad, he stopped playing five years ago, he's the manager now! Couldn't you have gotten me Lio Gerrard on it? He's going to tear it up this year"

The Guest: "No, you ungrateful little sod. It's been Andy Robbo every year since you were born and it'll be Andy Robbo every year until I die. Now go and try it on while I go and give this one to your little sister "Andrew".

I just thought who can he look up to who’s never gonna let us down.  The answer was easy.  All of them.  So then I asked who’s never gonna let us down and is named Robertson.

I was considering Gerrard to be fair.

Alisson = steak McCoys

Lallana = Quavers.  Nice but fragile.

Wijnaldum = Cheese & Onion Squares.  Hugely underrated/overlooked.

Origi = Roast Beef & Mustard Brannigans.  Lesser spotted but pack a powerful punch.

• Upvote 2

I won’t ask what flavour Hendo is.

I’ve just remembered that Robertson didn’t make the Guardian’s top 100 footballers in the world.  I don’t think there’s 10 footballers I’d swap him for never mind 100.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I won’t ask what flavour Hendo is.

He's an acquired taste.  Haven't acquired it?  Get some taste.

Another great write up Dave.

I’d pick one different “best moment” which actually encapsulates all three as well as the one “worst”...

his interview on yhe pitch after the final whistle of the second leg... when asked about his battle with Suarez... his answer was simple, and delivered with a smile...

”who’s going to Madrid?”

• Upvote 4

Made fae girders.......

I remember being on the Anfield tour in our Treble year, and folks round Anfield were bringing up the old chestnut of "we won't win the league without a Scotsman in the side".  I honestly thought at the time that Gary Mac would fill that role.

Step forward Mad Dog.

I'd fucking love a t-shirt with a picture of that moment where Robbo twatted Messi as he was running past him.  I reckon that was the moment when Messi realized that he was in a real game with players who didn't give a flying fuck about his status and it was about to go Pete Tong.......

Worst moment was defo the silly foul he gave away in the edge of the box at home to leicester that led to their goal.

One of those massive what if moments. 

I'd forgotten about that but yeah that was a rare lapse. Didn't need to do it as one of the midfielders (Naby I think) had gotten back to cover.

Great report, Dave. I must admit that Robbo was my player of the year (not named Mo) last season - but how do you overcome 40+ goals?

Now 22 PL goals - that's easy-peasy! 

Robbo gets 10/10 for me!!