You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cover at Left-Back

Bjornebye

Whoever it is needs to be a similar type - we are so reliant on our full backs for attacking width on both sides and we lose so much when the first choices can't play.

Gomez on the right is in no way a good cover for TAA in terms of the system, as he is useless going forward and we look so much less threatening when he is in there....so for me whoever we get as cover on both sides should be players who can get forward with confidence and quality, so when they are called on our style of play is not compromised.

I don't personally think we should be scrimping here. I can't pass comment on Adam Lewis as I have barely seen the lad play, but I have seen enough of Joe Gomez at right back to know I don't want to see him play there again. Our full backs are so good and so important to the way we play. Being second fiddle is a difficult sell but we're going to have to try and find a way to do it. 

Or try and convince Nat Clyne he is first choice cover for both sides which sorts out two issues at once. 

It's a tough sell alright - be back-up for the best left back in the world.

I can see why the club might not want to spend too much money as it's largely an insurance policy. It's ideally suited to a young player with plenty of potential who'd be happy enough with 10-12 games, assuming we make a bit of progress in the domestic cups.

I don’t reckon we will sign anyone.  Milner will cover there if he gets injured.  In terms of rest I reckon if you asked him he’d probably tell you he gets 8 hours sleep a night and that will do him.

I imagine this type of situation is difficult for Klopp.  He will only want players who can completely buy into his vision and it must be hard to sell that vision to players he’s signing that might only start 4/5 games a year.  He won’t bullshit them because that’s no his way.  He won’t want people sulking on the bench.

Both fullback positions are so important to our way of playing we should have suitable, reliable cover. Stylistically the same if not quality wise. We don’t want to be playing midfielders there ideally. I know cover would be difficult to find for obvious reasons. A top class player who can play on both sides would be ideal. But who?

I was thinking we could get Angelino from PSV for £15m or so, but reports today indicate that City have a buy-back clause on him and I'm sure if they found out we were interested they'd activate it.

I think those calling for Adam Lewis are a bit optimistic. He's a decent player and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get a Carling Cup start or two next season but unless we're going to trust Milner as the main backup and then he's just 3rd choice I don't think he's ready. Any serious injury to Robertson and we'd be putting our whole league and CL challenge next season in the hands of a 19-year old who is decent but hardly shows signs of being ready for that kind of pressure.

Not sure what the answer is. Maybe it is just as simple as letting Milner play there (he's not going to get as many minutes in midfield with Oxlade-Chamberlain back) as backup for a season, and then looking at it again next summer. Or maybe Edwards has someone in his files who would cost £5m and be almost as good as Andy. I wouldn't put it past him.

25 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Eddie and Bulldog? Real Terriers.

Recall young Woodie from his never ending loan cycle and add an extra Coach and there'll be big Cheers all round as long as the crowd dont throw them off a Cliff after one mistake as is the Norm. Shelley Long.

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

Recall young Woodie from his never ending loan cycle and add an extra Coach and there'll be big Cheers all round as long as the crowd dont throw them off a Cliff after one mistake as is the Norm. Shelley Long.

Hope whoever we get is well known. Everybody should know his name. Carla and Roz.

I think the club view full back as one of the few areas in the team local lads can break through into without having to be wunderkinds, which may mean it's left open for Lewis. Given in most of our games we monopolise the ball he should really only have to swing in some decent crosses and make correct infield passing decisions (easier said than done), 

A huge amount of his and other youngsters success depends on who we get as domestic cup opponents which has been brutal in recent years.

On 18/06/2019 at 13:34, Bjornebye said:

Never even heard of this Targett lad before yesterday , anyone know if he is any good? 

Next season he will be wearing a double top.