You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cover at Left-Back

Bjornebye

Moreno has finally gone. Do we assume Milner will cover at LB (Or RB with TAA over on the left) if anything happens to Robertson or are we in the market for a new one? 

Whoever it is has to know they will be the 2nd choice of 2nd choices because no-one in the world is better than Andy Robertson. 

Everything that's being said about Adam Lewis at the moment - 'Very promising but he hasn't any experience and can't be trusted as back up' - could have been said about Trent before he got his chance. Where would Trent now be in Clyne and Gomez hadn't got injured? It's a real sliding doors moment - do we give another highly rated Academy player a chance, or do we buy a more experienced player who'll probably block his progress at this club? In my view, Lewis is really talented, and intelligent and quick to learn, who merits the chance to understudy Robertson. 

I would like to see Adam Lewis be given a chance. If we did buy a full back they would be coming with the knowledge that they are going to be back up to Robertson. 

Don't think that there's that many decent full backs available who would be willing to come to be an understudy and that wouldn't cost a lot. 

If we're serious about bringing someone in I'd be tempted to look at:  

Jose Gaya (Valencia).  Decent all round left-back with a healthy number of assists to his name.  Lacks a bit of height, though.

Theo Hernandez.  Brother of Lucas Hernandez.  Fast and direct.

Ferland Mendy (Lyon).  Tipped to break into the French national team after an impressive season with Lyon.  Has the attacking intent, acceleration and speed Klopp likes from his full-backs. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I won't believe you until I hear it from the Ligue 1 guy. 

He's really fast, mate.  Fast as fuck.  Apparently.  I'd never heard of the cunt until I read an article about left-backs half an hour ago to make it look like I know what I'm talking about.  

• Upvote 1

I'd be inclined to go for a left back who is better at defending than attacking, purely because all of our existing alternatives to Robertson are better going forward than defending. No point signing more of the same when Klopp has shown that he is prepared to shift existing players into unfamiliar roles (with a fair amount of success using this strategy) instead of immediately buying what would amount to a short-term fix.

7 hours ago, Trumo said:

I'd be inclined to go for a left back who is better at defending than attacking, purely because all of our existing alternatives to Robertson are better going forward than defending. No point signing more of the same when Klopp has shown that he is prepared to shift existing players into unfamiliar roles (with a fair amount of success using this strategy) instead of immediately buying what would amount to a short-term fix.

I dont mind him being better at defending than attacking as long as he’s absolutely brilliant at attacking. The full backs are key to our attacking play these days.

9 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Sessegnon wants to stay in London hence he prefers Spurs. 

Also Danny Rose wants to leave, and Ben Davies has gone off the boil a bit, so he might rate his chances of starting next season. 

It's a tricky one.

I don't think it's really fair on Milner to be playing left back in a league cup tie against Southend or something - but those are the types of games we need to give Robbo a rest.  

And it's also hard to get anyone in, as they wouldn't be playing in any of the league or Champions League games.  Hopefully we've got a kid coming through who could step up and Milner for a few others if needed.

Not seen anything of Adam Lewis but if he is good enough then he should be the option.  Give him a run out in the league cup games knowing we always have Milner to provide extra cover too.

If he isn't ready then I think we could do worse than look at Aaron Cresswell.  A decent standard left back that's good going forward, probably wouldn't cost an absolute fortune and might be happy to just be part of the squad given that he's from Liverpool and apparently a fan.