You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What music do you play when you are feeling down

Bjornebye

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:06, TK421 said:

Nah, just the overrated, monotone, dreary cover versions.  Apart from that he's not on my radar, I can take or leave it.

The Bridge Over Troubled Water, Mercy Seat and If You Could Read My Mind versions?  Overrated?

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The Bridge Over Troubled Water, Mercy Seat and If You Could Read My Mind versions?  Overrated?

No, the Rusty Cage and Hurt versions.

I haven't heard the other ones.  I'm halfway through Bridge Over Troubled Water.  Before I played it, I took a guess that it would be very low tempo, with some of the words spoken and others sung.  Hey, guess what...

I don't see the appeal or why every hipster douche out there fawns over him like he invented this shit. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It's a shame that you can't enjoy it, finding it very funny that these 15 year old albums by an elderly man are somehow "hipster" though.

You know what I mean.  It's cool to like Johnny Cash, right?  

I just find it a bit formulaic and MOR, is all.  It's neither offensively bad, nor life-changing good.

People like that era of Johnny because it was his last run of success and a great comeback from a absoloute legend. 

He had recently been dropped from his label, a company his records help build. Rick Rubin stepped in and told him to record songs he wanted to,anything from covers,gospell music and gave him some he thought he could bring something new to. The story from his first live showings of the new material at the Viper room is fantastic. His family and friends say he was hitting himself before going on stage, no band with him just Johnny and his guitar. He thought he was washed up and finished before the show and couldn't believe the reception he got. 

He was 62 by the time this happened and in his 70s and in terrible health and devasted by June death by the time hurt come out. I can get people not being a fan byt trying to label it hipster fawning is nuts. The mans one of the greatest story tellers in music history

At his best

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

His family and friends say he was hitting himself before going on stage

Cripes, now he's copying Reznor's whole self-harm thing?  That's a step too far.  Only joking.

I don't have strong feelings either way regarding Johnny Cash, I'm totally indifferent towards him.  I just prefer the originals of the songs he covers, from those I've heard.

I was at a bar in Brighton once and the DJ was playing some dance version of his Rusty Cage cover.  It went on for about fifteen minutes.  I said to the DJ "have you got the Soundgarden version", he replies "who"?  FFS.  

I'm going to stick up for TK here, never liked Johnny Cash & I reckon if he hadn't have been on his way out, those boring, slowed tempo covers would've been a minor cult thing rather than the Worlwide success they were.

That version of Hurt has me looking for the remote every time it comes on the telly & that was a lot for a good while.

Certainly not something I would listen to when I'm down in the dumps. Get some fucking James Brown on & get back into it. Wallowing is for teenagers.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mook said:

Certainly not something I would listen to when I'm down in the dumps. Get some fucking James Brown on & get back into it. Wallowing is for teenagers.

Its hard when you are really low though mate. I get irritated by uplifting stuff. Normally listen to Radio X in the morning but Chris Moyles loud cheery fucking voice sends me into a rage. Mind you I suppose he does that to most people regardless. 

Ive tried the whole 'uplifting' music stuff and even made a playlist a few years back but just found myself swerving it for my usual stuff. I then realised that most of the music I listen to either the lyrics or the melody are quite negative or angry and rebellious. 

Might just start listening to Sclub7 and Steps. (Awaits the 'better than Oasis anyway' predictable jibe) 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its hard when you are really low though mate. I get irritated by uplifting stuff. Normally listen to Radio X in the morning but Chris Moyles loud cheery fucking voice sends me into a rage. Mind you I suppose he does that to most people regardless. 

Ive tried the whole 'uplifting' music stuff and even made a playlist a few years back but just found myself swerving it for my usual stuff. I then realised that most of the music I listen to either the lyrics or the melody are quite negative or angry and rebellious. 

Might just start listening to Sclub7 and Steps. (Awaits the 'better than Oasis anyway' predictable jibe) 

Being down or depressed is addictive apparently, which is why people want to listen to sad music at those points. I read up on it years ago when I was prone to it.

To be honest, I'm a sucker for the really sad songs even when I'm happy.

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Counting crows - Round here , that'll sort yer out