You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A team with no cunts

Section_31

For want of a better phrase, this is one aspect of Klopp's team building that he often doesn't get enough credit for.

When we were pushing for the title under Rodgers it was quite clear that arguably our best players, both Suarez and Sterling were, let's be honest, a pair of cunts and would be off like a shot whether we won the league or not. 

What we've seen whenever we see behind the scenes footage is that this is a group of Top, top lads who all get on with each other and put team ambitions above their own. 

What's crucial too is that for this reason and others you don't get the feeling any of them will be looking to jump ship.

It's a staggering achievement that not only has Klopp been able to build a talented team, but also one where their personalities have seemingly been scouted to the same extent as their football abilities. 

• Upvote 7

Guest Pistonbroke

Klopp only signs players who pass his tick test, then he takes time to teach them the way he wants us to play. His man management skills are second to none. 

Read something the other day saying when Klopp meets a player he doesn’t even talk to them about football. 

He already knows they're good enough or he wouldn’t be meeting them, he wants to know what they’re like as a person. 

I’m sure there’s a heavy dose of hyperbole in that but you can see he places just as much importance on a players character as their ability. 

• Upvote 1

I agree, he's built not just an excellent team dynamic, but there's a real sense of squad harmony too. Just look at the way Mig, Moreno, Lovren and Sturridge have stayed well in the fold despite not playing, and both they and the youngsters really felt part of number six. No one wandering about in the background, looking on from a distance.

Having said all that, I'd hesitate to say they won't jump ship; the life of a footballer is generally that of a transient employee. I remember similar sentiments being expressed about Coutinho - good lad, head screwed on, gets on well with everyone, team player etc. Maybe it'll be different this time, but I'll just enjoy watching them whilst they're here. You can move on without being a cunt, and I'd trust Klopp / the recruitment bods to find a replacement.

• Upvote 3

Nah, not buying this. As a wise sage once said, team spirit is an illusion only glimpsed in victory. It's not that Klopp only works with players who are not cunts, it's that playing for Klopp makes every player suppress their inner cunt. If Suarez and/or Sterling were still at Anfield, would there be any talk of them wanting to leave, or of Klopp wanting to get rid? Not a chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

Nah, not buying this. As a wise sage once said, team spirit is an illusion only glimpsed in victory. It's not that Klopp only works with players who are not cunts, it's that playing for Klopp makes every player suppress their inner cunt. If Suarez and/or Sterling were still at Anfield, would there be any talk of them wanting to leave, or of Klopp wanting to get rid? Not a chance.

I reckon Klopp wouldn't go anywhere near either if they were for sale personally. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I reckon Klopp wouldn't go anywhere near either if they were for sale personally. 

Klopp likes Sterling, I also think he is young enough for Klopp to try and mould to his type of player. He'd definitely not touch Suarez though. 

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I agree, he's built not just an excellent team dynamic, but there's a real sense of squad harmony too. Just look at the way Mig, Moreno, Lovren and Sturridge have stayed well in the fold despite not playing, and both they and the youngsters really felt part of number six. No one wandering about in the background, looking on from a distance.

Having said all that, I'd hesitate to say they won't jump ship; the life of a footballer is generally that of a transient employee. I remember similar sentiments being expressed about Coutinho - good lad, head screwed on, gets on well with everyone, team player etc. Maybe it'll be different this time, but I'll just enjoy watching them whilst they're here. You can move on without being a cunt, and I'd trust Klopp / the recruitment bods to find a replacement.

Yeah I agree with the last part. Players will do what's best for their careers and rightly so, but with the likes of Suarez and Sterling you got the feeling they were only playing to the max in order to secure moves, ambition was their main trait rather than victory for victory's sake.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's not true in Suarez's case. Wherever he's been, once he's on the pitch he's always been psychotically obsessed with winning.

Agreed.  He was crying at the end of the Crystal Palace game - that's pretty hard to fake.

When we were pushing for the title under Rodgers it was quite clear that arguably our best players, both Suarez and Sterling were, let's be honest, a pair of cunts and would be off like a shot whether we won the league or not. 

I really don't agree with this.

Suarez was obviously a bit of a cunt in some ways, it can't be denied, but he gave us plenty in the time he was here and he was entitled to seek a move. He'd already been told he could leave after that season, if I recall correctly, yet he produced one of the best seasons any Liverpool player ever has. Why would we expect a player like that to want to stick around here battling it out for 6th in the PL every season?

And Sterling, was he ever really a cunt? Yeah, he acted like a bit of one when he was looking to move, but plenty of players do that - even van Dijk did something similar, Mane refused to play for a previous team to force a move, etc. I've never really had any issue with Sterling and I don't get the vitriol towards him on here. He doesn't strike me as a bad fella at all. He's not especially likeable either but I wouldn't have described him as a cunt when he played for us or now. 

If we suddenly started finishing 6th in the league again more seasons than not, there'd be plenty of "cunts" in this squad too. 

• Upvote 3

There is a massive distinction to be drawn between on field and off field conduct.  You can hate sterling on the field but you ha e to admit that, since he stopped randomly impregnating girls from Page Moss, hw has become a very impressive young man.

The other problem with his thread is shown by the mentions of Suarez. It’s all subjective. Nobody here would have called him a cunt(as opposed to, say, a dick) when he played for us.

• Upvote 1

I don't find him impressive in the slightest. Impressive is the way Jermaine Defoe treated Bradley Lowery. Impressive is Juan Mata trying to get every Premier League player to donate 1% of their salary to charitable causes. Sterling has done nothing for anyone other than Raheem Sterling. 

Say what you want about Luis Suarez but there was an honesty to Suarez. Suarez wanted to win, at any cost and didn't pretend to be anything different. He didn't project humility where there was none, nor did he try and perfect a public persona for recognition. He was unashamedly himself. 

• Upvote 2

Suarez's cuntery is beyond dispute to my mind. As Fowler said recently he'd wanted a move to Arsenal (!?!) And played well that season because he was playing for a move. He wanted to win of course, but he wanted to win for Suarez. Even in the Barca game against us it was as much about petty 'revenge' against us and players he'd perceived to have wronged him in the first 15 minutes as it was about winning for his new fans.

Sterling is a horrendous twat. By all accounts he had his career moves mapped out early on in life regardless. Wouldn't be surprised if he's already put feelers out to Barca/Madrid. Was barely a kid when he engineered his move to city despite the fact he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo until, to his credit, Rodgers developed him (as he did with Suarez's goalscoring to be fair too).

Even as we were deploying these chaps trying to win a cup, I always had the feeling it was about them, it was about their day in the sun, their wages, their next move. If they'd stood in front of the Kop after the Barca game singing YNWA with the rest of the lads, their singing would have run hollow indeed.

All the players know they’re on to a good thing.

At this moment, where would they go that is better?

Nowhere on a support level, nowhere on a playing level, nowhere on a Coaching level.

There are teams that would offer better money probably, but even they can’t guarantee a better chance to win titles and cups, City apart.

We have, currently, the perfect storm for any decent player to advance themselves.

That’s down to the way the club is being run and coached and it’ll stay that way as long as we keep winning.

• Upvote 1