You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's World Cup

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I don't get why you feel the need to be so aggressive and abusive TK, I'm finding this an interesting discussion, informative and contentious. No need.

Likewise with regard to yourself.  The HowieLame is a complete twat, though. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

You seen academy kids nowadays? Especially in the US where physicality is a big part of the football, the kids are like 6 feet 160 pounds on average. Physically, it's just not a fair competition. That shouldn't be used to disparage the women's team.

Maybe so, but not entirely convenced tbh mate.

I remember a few years back watching my nephew's under 9's taking on my niece's under 13's team. The girls were obviously older and physically more developed but the boy's team fucking slaughtered them regardless.

Personally I think a lot of it stems from some of the risible coaching of girls and women's teams. From the little I've seen that coaching is fucking pathetic.

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

That's not what I said, I said the market dictates it.  Not saying that's the right thing.  

In an ideal world both genders would be treated equally and paid the same.  I don't see how that's controversial.

Regardless of ability, quality or revenue generated?

9 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Regardless of ability, quality or revenue generated?

Like I said, as the women's game grows the pay gap should narrow. 

In the context of the USA teams, the women are outperforming the men both in terms of quality (tournament wins) and revenue, but their pay is lagging behind.  That can't be right.  

18 minutes ago, TK421 said:

That's not what I said, I said the market dictates it.  Not saying that's the right thing.  

In an ideal world both genders would be treated equally and paid the same.  I don't see how that's controversial.

Equal pay for the same work is not controversial. Disagreement is over the fact is that in fact the same work / job. 

I sincerely hope US women prove they are generating more than the men and then get paid more than them.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Equal pay for the same work is not controversial. Disagreement is over the fact is that in fact the same work / job. 

I sincerely hope US women prove they are generating more than the men and then get paid more than them.

Shouldn't be too difficult.

According to the Wall Street Journal, women's games have brought in more money than men's in recent years, thanks to the women's team's World Cup win in 2015. Between 2016 and 2018, the women's games earned about $50.8 million inrevenue, compared with $49.9 million for the men's games.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/10/20686692/us-womens-soccer-team-parade-equal-pay

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Like I said, as the women's game grows the pay gap should narrow. 

In the context of the USA teams, the women are outperforming the men both in terms of quality (tournament wins) and revenue, but their pay is lagging behind.  That can't be right.  

Whereas I couldn't disagree that the USNWT has clearly out achieved their men, hey absolutely have not out performed them in terms of quality. The men would run up 50 against them if they ever played one another.

I also still think it's highly dubious to keep on comparing the women's game to that of the men. Whereas it may (or still may not / that in itelf is contentious enough) be of benefit to the US women to make that comparison, clearly for every other ladies team it would not be beneficial. There seems to be a clear lack of consistency in the position / in the argument.

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Whereas I couldn't disagree that the USNWT has clearly out achieved their men, hey absolutely have not out performed them in terms of quality. The men would run up 50 against them if they ever played one another.

That's highly subjective.  For you, the quality may not be the same.  For others, the quality might be the same or better in terms of sporting drama, goalmouth action and so on.  Personally, I thought the Women's World Cup was interesting because the action was end to end and there weren't any "park the bus" teams playing for penalties (at least in the games I watched).  

I also thought that Megan Rapinoe was a highly skilful player who displayed vision and speed of thought comparable to her male counterparts.  She knew when to slow down the tempo and saw the play developing before her opponents did, and that to me was interesting to watch. 

The matchday income for the women was only greater in one year - 2016.

Of course only a simpleton would post those numbers and not also mention that for 2019 the women will well out earn the men - it would take an even bigger simp to not point out that this years final was watched by record crowds in the US - twenty times as many as for the mens final last year. And that their jersey sales are far out performing the men. But I already said that.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You have not done well with facts today. Re read the last few pages.

You've exceeded yourself with "kind of" truths, though.  

Outstanding, that is.  My favourite quote of the year so far.

Hey, look, it's kind of true.  

I think that Dallas boys 5-2 hammering of USNWT, Newcastle NSW under 15 boys 7-0 drubbing of the Australian Matildas, Real Salt Lake boys, Swedish boys teams triumphs and several others all point to the lack of quality in the women's game is NOT subjective on my part.

I think it's apparent that some of the ladies teams have improved but really the standard is still sub Sunday League.

As I said earlier though, for all of the embarrassment it might bring them, women would improve their game if they tested themselves against superior opposition, ie men's pub teams. And in no way am I aking the piss by saying that. Along the way they would be walloped, but they should learn and improve as a result of  the better competition.

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think that Dallas boys 5-2 hammering of USNWT, Newcastle NSW under 15 boys 7-0 drubbing of the Australian Matildas, Real Salt Lake boys, Swedish boys teams triumphs and several others all point to the lack of quality in the women's game is NOT subjective on my part.

I think it's apparent that some of the ladies teams have improved but really the standard is still sub Sunday League.

As I said earlier though, for all of the embarrassment it might bring them, women would improve their game if they tested themselves against superior opposition, ie men's pub teams. And in no way am I aking the piss by saying that. Along the way they would be walloped, but they should learn and improve as a result of  the batter competition.

Like 3Stacks says, you're barking up the wrong tree with all of this what happens when the women play the men stuff.  It's not relevant to the conversation.

It comes across as incredibly patronising.   

And again @TK421 you felt the need to compare Rapinoe's vision, speed of thought etc to that of her male counterparts? Why?

The fellas would absolutely outclass and embarrass Rapinoe should she ever take the field with them in a mixed gender game. Maybe with the sole exception of Carlton Pogba.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

And again @TK421 you felt the need to compare Rapinoe's vision, speed of thought etc to that of her male counterparts? Why?

The fellas would absolutely outclass and embarrass Rapinoe should she ever take the field with them in a mixed gender game. Maybe with the sole exception of Carlton Pogba.

I was just talking your language for a brief moment, that's all.

I didn't sit there watching the WWC thinking "fuck me, a man would never have fluffed that chance".  

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Like 3Stacks says, you're barking up the wrong tree with all of this what happens when the women play the men stuff.  It's not relevant to the conversation.

It comes across as incredibly patronising.   

It's honestly not meant to patronise. I've given constructive suggestions about how women can improve their own game.

When your own point of view constantly makes the direct comparison between the men's and the women's games there's clearly a contradiction in your own argument there.

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

You've exceeded yourself with "kind of" truths, though.  

Outstanding, that is.  My favourite quote of the year so far.

Hey, look, it's kind of true.  

I assume this was about the response to @Sasas assertion when he said that the men and the women have separate associations

Well - this is kind of true -- both teams operate under the USSF umbrella, but each have their own collective bargaining agreement.

That is a fact.

My favorite one of the year so far is this:

Do you have a direct quote where she says they should not be paid the same as men?  I can answer that.  You don't, because it doesn't exist.

Followed by:

2ewfifc.png

That is some quality lolzing

rdlol.gif