You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's World Cup

5 hours ago, TK421 said:

Well, it seems to me from reading your posts that you consider "real football", with regard to pitch dimensions and goal sizes, to be the exclusive preserve of the men.  What elevates football above other sports?  Does it happen in other sports?  Is the boundary rope brought in for cricket, for example?  Is the wicket shorter than 22 yards?  I genuinely don't know without my mate google.  

Here it is, in all its glory.

Get better eyes.  And a better social outlook towards the opposite sex.

20 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It sounds outdated to me.  You don't hear the men being referred to by their equivalent as "gentlemen" quite as often.  When you were describing "ladies" earlier in this thread, it did make me ponder.  But then I'm a snowflake who always gets things wrong.

"Ladies tees" just sounds fucking stupid, in my humble opinion.

What would you call it? 

Just now, TK421 said:

I was asking a question.  You know, that thing you do when you don't what the answer to something is.

Well, in reality you tried to take the piss out of Carvalho's post, while not knowing the answer -- and it turns out, like the rest of this thread - and any on Weinstein or Trump that you seem to be fixated on -  it is not uncommon for you to have a grasp of facts or nuance in a discussion.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, in reality you tried to take the piss out of Carvalho's post, while not knowing the answer -- and it turns out, like the rest of this thread - and any on Weinstein or Trump that you seem to be fixated on -  it is not uncommon for you to have a grasp of facts or nuance in a discussion.

No, I really was just asking a question.  Questions are good.

I accept that there are valid arguments for discrepancies between the men's/women's games, that's why I was asking the question.   What I don't do is immediately leap to the conclusion that it's always appropriate.  

Funny that you thought I edited the post, though, yer big Trump lover. 

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The US has two

Wrong.  They have one.

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think this year the womens team in the US is basically equal

Wrong.  It's not equal, hence the lawsuit.

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I believe that is the lawsuit which was brought in 2016 by four current members

Wrong.  The 2016 lawsuit was never resolved.  The 2019 one is a new lawsuit.

Because it is the lawsuit that was brought by a few individual players (Morgan, Lloyd, Rapinoe and Sauerbrun) in 2016 that is now being turned into a class action lawsuit to include all the players.

Wrong, as stated above it's a new lawsuit.

They are still probably only getting 90% in the current wage structure...

Wrong, it's not 90%.  Hence the lawsuit.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Interestingly the few English players who have spoken about this think the US players should receive equal pay, but not so for their own team. Strange.

Wrong, obviously.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Kirby said directly, in the interview you have quoted, that they should not be paid the same as the men. In fact she said that they would need to win the World Cup before even talking about it.

Wrong.  She said nothing of the sort.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yes, yardages for womens golf are shorter - thats why there are Ladies tees.

Sexist terminology.

37 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Pretty sure there has been an edit here -- when first posted there was a snide comment about cricket measurements -- which we all know are different in the mens game than they are the womens.

Wrong, the post was never edited.

There's a pattern emerging here, not sure what it is.  Oh yeah, you're wrong all of the time and hate women.

14 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Fair enough.

Some other things I think would benefit women's footy would include:

Cut the pitch sizes by 2/3rds. This would speed up the game, and allow for better, more accurate passing.

Make goal sizes smaller. Maybe 6x6 rather then 8x8 ? It seems very apparent that the very weakest part of the women's game are their goalies. Perhaps not surprising when some of them barely 5 foot tall. Smaller goal sizes would obviously assist them.

Coaching. Get rid of the grass roots moms who turn up and teach the girls how to head a ball...without a ball! Believe me, I've seen it happen. Replace them with qualified / experienced coaches who know what the fuck they're doing.

This is not always the case,in actual fact some of the coaches are better in the women's game,but they are often still male coaches due to males historically dominating all areas of the sport. This same history(as well as obvious physical size,even at younger ages) is what leads to under 15s men beating the full women's international sides. You also have to understand the fact that 'elite' women's football is in its infancy and still doesn't exist in anywhere near the same amount of countries the men's game does. Same sport,different game,and often philosophy behind it too.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The comment sections fucking nuts. 

Women claiming they are missing on purpose, one saying she's a keeper and the finishing isn't important it's about the keeper, then the usual cunts being cunts. 

I’ve spent many years coaching and managing recreational and competitive Women’s football teams. 

Even lower level recreational teams would have put more shots away than that. 

20 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

I’ve spent many years coaching and managing recreational and competitive Women’s football teams. 

Even lower level recreational teams would have put more shots away than that. 

In 2017 in a warm up game for the world Cup the US women's team was beaten 5-2 by the Dallas under 15 boys team, in 2016 the 5th ranked Aussie woman's team beaten 7-0 by Newcastle Jets under 15 boys team. 

11 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The comment sections fucking nuts. 

Women claiming they are missing on purpose, one saying she's a keeper and the finishing isn't important it's about the keeper, then the usual cunts being cunts. 

That the Lyon women's team, who've won the Champions League for something like 5 years in a row.