You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's World Cup

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I believe that is the lawsuit which was brought in 2016 by four current members, plus Hope Solo being turned into a class action suit - the figures there are all from pre 2017, there is a new CBA which went into effect after that.

Equal pay history

This is not the first time the fight for equal pay has made it to the courts. Alex Morgan, Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe, Becky Sauerbrunn and former U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo filed a federal complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in March 2016. They claimed the federation practiced wage discrimination in violation of Title VII and the Equal Pay Act.

The most recent lawsuit puts an end to the 2016 fight, which was never resolved. On Feb. 5, 2019 the players were issued "Notices of Right to Sue" by the EEOC, receiving them on Feb. 11. In 2016 Carli Lloyd published an essay in the New York Times called "Why I'm Fighting for Equal Pay."

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Anyway, this is a good article for people who want to cut through the Lama's waffle and find out the facts.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/uswnt-equal-pay-lawsuit-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-womens-world-cup-champions-legal-fight/

You read right? In between frantically googling read the stuff.

Every thing that I have said is mentioned verbatim in that article, cuz they are facts -  even my opinion about why they would bring the suit now is mentioned. Weird.

The least of any worries should be about the US side, they will be one of the few teams that come close to pay equality and allow the members to make a decent living.

Interestingly the few English players who have spoken about this think the US players should receive equal pay, but not so for their own team. Strange.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

You read right? 

Every thing that I have said is mentioned verbatim in that article, cuz they are facts -  even my opinion about why they would bring the suit now is mentioned. Weird.

The least of any worries should be about the US side, they will be one of the few teams that come close to pay equality and allow the members to make a decent living.

Interestingly the few English players who have spoken about this think the US players should receive equal pay, but not so for their own team. Strange.

I'm sure people are capable of making their own minds up, rather than your distorted version of it seen through a misogynistic prism. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You read right? 

Yet there you are, claiming that their pay is "basically equal".  Like a big fat liar. 

The Irish women's national team where given tracksuits in the airport and told to get changed in the jax. That was within the last couple of years. I would guess 99.9% of the population couldn't name a player off the Irish team, past or present. Now they shouldn't have too get changed in the jax but equal pay is a million years away and so it should be.

Separate associations with separate income streams is the way forward, in 50 years maybe the men will be the ones looking for equal pay. 

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

More fake news.  You're making it up as you go along.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48405666

"Ultimately we need to grow the women's game," said Kirby, 25.

"That's the biggest issue, it always has been. Then you can talk about equal pay and everything else."

The USNWT always seem to refer to and compare themselves to USNMT iro revenue and wages. Fair enough, maybe, I have no problem with anybody wanting to elevate their personal standard and salary.

However I find it interesting / massively hypocritical that they want no part of the comparattive quality argument. Obviously not, when they get whacked 5-2 by Dallas under 15 boys.

My opinion (FWIW) is that the USNWT need to distance themselves from and stop comparing themselves and their sport to that of their male counterparts. Negotiate their own deal based upon their own revenues and their own product alone, otherwise people will reasonably reference the comparitively pitiful quality of their product.

Moof's point earlier about the huge swathes of cash floating around in the men's game and how the redistribution of some of that could benefit the women's game is sound, but would this or should this hand out cease if USNWT were to renegotiate their own deal based upon their Women's World Cup win?

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If USNWT should automatically earn the same as USNMT simply because they play the same sport, regardless or revenue or quality, should Liverpool Ladies earn the same as our first team, by the same token?

You can't say "regardless of revenue" when the women bring in more than the men for the US teams.  That's just silly. 

You can't say "regardless of quality", either, because they're serial World Cup winners.  How do they achieve more?

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

More fake news.  You're making it up as you go along.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48405666

"Ultimately we need to grow the women's game," said Kirby, 25.

"That's the biggest issue, it always has been. Then you can talk about equal pay and everything else."

Your stunning lack of facts is exceeded only by your inability to interpret even the stuff you do read.

Kirby said directly, in the interview you have quoted, that they should not be paid the same as the men. In fact she said that they would need to win the World Cup before even talking about it.

Or there is this:

“I have a strong opinion on it,” Duggan says of the battle in the US, “and I believe they should be doing it because they’re more successful than their men’s team.” But her views on the disparity in England are very different. “Should we be doing it? No. Because we don’t bring in the money that the men do – we’re not as successful as them yet. They bring in a lot more money than us commercially and are more successful. When people ask me: ‘Should I earn the same money as the men?’ No, I don’t believe I should because they’re on a bigger scale than me, they have more fans, are more popular.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Kirby said directly, in the interview you have quoted,  that they should not be paid the same as the men. 

She's clearly hinting at parity in terms of pay, but you're very stupid and hate women so you didn't pick up on it.

Do you have a direct quote where she says they should not be paid the same as men?  I can answer that.  You don't, because it doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

You can't say "regardless of revenue" when the women bring in more than the men for the US teams.  That's just silly. 

You can't say "regardless of quality", either, because they're serial World Cup winners.  How do they achieve more?

I say "regardless" so as to not make any direct comparison to the men.

I believe women would improve more by testung themselves against men's teams. Instead of getting whacked by under 15 boys they would be annihilated by The Dog and Duck Sunday League team instead. Seriously though, much should be learned in those wallopings and women's teams could improve immeasureably by seriously testing themselves against vastly superior opposition.

How do they achieve more? In terms of trophies won, the USNWT obviously can't.

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What stinks is that there's such a gap between the US team and everybody else. They have a very legitimate gripe to maybe even receive a bigger cut than the men, whereas other women's teams just have no real argument.

Yep, this will increase the gap as well.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So Nikita Parris should  be paid the same as Sadio Mane? To clarify?

She should be entitled to extract the most she possibly can out of her employer in the same way that Mane does. The market dictates the rest.  As the women's game grows, the pay gap should narrow.

When it comes to international football, if Mane was paying for England then they should both be paid the same. 

Just now, TK421 said:

She's clearly hinting at parity in terms of pay, but you're very stupid and hate women so you didn't pick up on it.

Do you have a direct quote where she says they should not be paid the same as men?  I can answer that.  You don't, because it doesn't exist.

You are a very strange fella - and you are struggling 

2ewfifc.png

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

She should be entitled to extract the most she possibly can out of her employer in the same way that Mane does. The market dictates the rest.  As the women's game grows, the pay gap should narrow.

When it comes to international football, if Mane was paying for England then they should both be paid the same. 

So the market  should set wages when referencing club football, but the market should not set wages when it comes to international football?

11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I say "regardless" so as to not make any direct comparison to the men.

I believe women would improve more by testung themselves against men's teams. Instead of getting whacked by under 15 boys they would be annihilated by The Dog and Duck Sunday League team instead. Seriously though, much should be learned in those wallopings and women's teams could improve immeasureably by seriously testing themselves against vastly superior opposition.

How do they achieve more? In terms of trophies won, the USNWT obviously can't.

You seen academy kids nowadays? Especially in the US where physicality is a big part of the football, the kids are like 6 feet 160 pounds on average. Physically, it's just not a fair competition, it doesn't really even have to do with football. That shouldn't be used to disparage the women's  game or the US team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So the market  should set wages when referencing club football, but the market should not set wages when it comes to international football?

That's not what I said, I said the market dictates it.  Not saying that's the right thing.  

In an ideal world both genders would be treated equally and paid the same.  I don't see how that's controversial.