You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's World Cup

22 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Only seen bits and pieces of the tournament, but from what I have seen, The Dutch are the only team who have played anything resembling good football. Generally speaking, the defending and goalkeeping has been abysmal.

Holland V Japan was probably my favourite game of the tournament, and Japan played the better football in the 2nd half and were really unlucky to lose

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Ellen White is from the town where I live. Used to watch local non league football a lot and saw her aged about 7/8 running rings around lads of the same age when they used to have the kids matches at half time.

She’s a brilliant striker. Classic number 9

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Only seen bits and pieces of the tournament, but from what I have seen, The Dutch are the only team who have played anything resembling good football. Generally speaking, the DEFENDING and goalkeeping has been abysmal.

Didn't expect any better with Phil Neville in charge . Yer ma would've done a better job!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Having watched bits of womens football over the past few tournaments , one of the best things was the lack of play acting & cheating compared to the mens game , but it seems to be creeping in particularly with the USA and I am sure this trend will increase.

5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Have you read any of the match threads for men’s games? 

You’ll see how I’d quoted my earlier post about being heartened to see that most of the posts had been football related and not the anticipated references to the players’ appearances and the associated sexual crap. I spoke too soon

I've never heard women speak about the physical looks of any male sports players, never.

The five minutes I watched was spent mentally saying "Would, nah, would, definitely, maybe, oh yes bang that like a fucking drum"

Because there was no real football to entertain me, would I watch any of it again, nah there's the internet if I need to see sexy women in shorts. If either of the teams could have brought on someone with bigger boobs I might have stuck with it.

44 minutes ago, Champ said:

You’ll see how I’d quoted my earlier post about being heartened to see that most of the posts had been football related and not the anticipated references to the players’ appearances and the associated sexual crap. I spoke too soon

I know. 

Have you not read any of the match threads for men’s games? 

44 minutes ago, Champions of Europe said:

I've never heard women speak about the physical looks of any male sports players, never.

You are hanging around the wrong women - my wife took an instant liking to the Italian National team in 1994

The Maldini effect

Attractiveness is part of the package of following women's athletics. No getting around that.

Doesn't mean looking good is the only thing they offer, they're obviously in the top 1% of their discipline compared to the overall female population just like male athletes are.

Looks are just more part of the conversation. I'd argue if they'd market that more instead of being defensive about it and insisting it should only be about what they do in competition, they'd make more money.

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Attractiveness is part of the package of following women's athletics. No getting around that.

Doesn't mean looking good is the only thing they offer, they're obviously in the top 1% of their discipline compared to the overall female population just like male athletes are.

Looks are just more part of the conversation. I'd argue if they'd market that more instead of being defensive about it and insisting it should only be about what they do in competition, they'd make more money.

Little hot take of the day there from me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, moof said:

She’s a brilliant striker. Classic number 9

Absolutely mate. Always had that cut above. Always polite cheering for the kiddies when they played, but you stopped and watched her play and didnt bugger off for a pee or a burger until after. Scary it seems so long ago now. I see she is now at Manchester City. I wouldnt have been adverse to them passing Aylesbury United a few quid for her devlopment.

This picture went up down the High Street over last few days:

_107647472_mural3.jpg

8 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Absolutely mate. Always had that cut above. Always polite cheering for the kiddies when they played, but you stopped and watched her play and didnt bugger off for a pee or a burger until after. Scary it seems so long ago now. I see she is now at Manchester City. I wouldnt have been adverse to them passing Aylesbury United a few quid for her devlopment.

This picture went up down the High Street over last few days:

_107647472_mural3.jpg

Quality that, mate. Love it 

I haven't really bothered with any of the games in the world cup,mainly apathy and other things to do but did watch the first half of England v US A. Thought after 15 mins USA looked far superior,I do think it's good that there is an interest in women's football