You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's World Cup

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

What I don't like about women's football is how they made it into a gender equality issue over the past few years, with pay demands and media coverage witch does not match the actual interest.

Is this deliberate or a Freudian typo?

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I won't watch every match like in the Men's equivalent, but I will watch games involving the better teams against each other. Probably going to be between Germany France (because they are hosting it) USA and England. The Dutch and Japanese might spring a surprise. 

I actually watched a U21 World Cup final in the women's category a few years back, which was held in the local team Arminia Bielefeld's stadium. I just wanted to say 'Hey, I've been to a WC final.' Ticket prices were ridiculously cheap so I treated the wife and kids as well. They had bouncy castles, games and cheap ale outside the ground, we actually had a great day. Plus they had the third and fourth place play off before the final so got to watch two matches of very mediocre quality. 

Who should I be watching / looking at / objectifying / Google searching for further titillation?

And before you get your collective knickers in a twist, the same happens with all genders and sexualities in my experience. I myself have spent hours drooling over images of Jan Molby, for example...

1 hour ago, The Woolster said:

I've only really seen the US women's team doing that, and to be fair, the US women's team earned more money (or profit, can't remember) than the US Men's team for their federation due to their relative success compared to the men. At least they did after they won the last world cup 4 years ago.

There were also some Scandinavians, obviously and it's actually quite common. 

I remember the US team debate, someone said, I think, they made more money only one year or something, but yes, the financial reward should be proportionate to the level of public's interest and generated income. A couple of days ago someone from the US team complained against FIFA's reward money being tiny compared to the men's world cup, I think it was 300 million of something for men compared to 20 million for women. which was attributed to male chauvinism at FIFA, not the huge difference in viewing figures and overall level between men's and women's game. Almost every time something is happening in women's football pay and equality issues get mentioned, which I think is misguided.

5 hours ago, Trumo said:

The size of the goals is one issue, but a bigger one is that all the goalkeepers play like their legs have been set in concrete such is their inability to get off the ground when the ball is all head height.

Women are generally very graceful in things like ballet and dance and men are usually terrible. The opposite seems to happen in football though. As for the goalkeeping,women in general are shorter than man so reducing the height of the crossbar could be a suggestion but I'd also say that the better GK coaches gravitate towards the men's game more.

Guest Pistonbroke

Got Denmark V Ireland on TV and France V South Korea on monitor. These French birds are more technical than Ireland tbf.