You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's World Cup

Starts tonight.

I know I know, most of you don't give a shit and think the quality is rubbish!

My daughter plays though, and she is not too bad, so I'll be tuning in as I think it will be good for her to have some female role models as well. And, England actually have a decent team to cheer on! There's at least a couple of scousers in the team too.

Anyone else watching, or will it be just me?

• Upvote 3

I don't mind watching women's football, you just have to accept it's developing around different abilities, like youth football. First match I properly paid attention to was the World Cup final between Japan and USA; it was decent, due to the contrasting styles.

Anything that expands football and has a chance of puncturing the monopoly of the old fucks brigade who run it has my support. My only issue is making them use the same size goals, as even Karius sniggers at the standard of goalkeeping.

Oh, and Alex Scott is better than most male pundits.

• Upvote 1

Was involved at a pretty reasonable level coaching in the women's game and there is a fair amount of talent there (calm down!) but there is still a large disparity between teams and even players in the same team. Can be entertaining at the highest levels but will be a few walkovers I imagine.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Was involved at a pretty reasonable level coaching in the women's game and there is a fair amount of talent there (calm down!) but there is still a large disparity between teams and even players in the same team. Can be entertaining at the highest levels but will be a few legovers I imagine.

ooo'er 

19 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't mind watching women's football, you just have to accept it's developing around different abilities, like youth football. First match I properly paid attention to was the World Cup final between Japan and USA; it was decent, due to the contrasting styles.

Anything that expands football and has a chance of puncturing the monopoly of the old fucks brigade who run it has my support. My only issue is making them use the same size goals, as even Karius sniggers at the standard of goalkeeping.

Oh, and Alex Scott is better than most male pundits.

Exactly, I watch plenty of our U23s and U18s, and sometimes it is rubbish!

Not sure I agree on the goals, bigger goals means more goals, and unless they are all going in at one end, it should mean more exciting games which can help its development.

I think the keeper issues should improve as the playing pool gets bigger. For a while it was possibly a case of if wanted to play in goal, you was good enough to play in goal!

Yeah couple of players from Liverpool aren't there? There's an advert up at the junction of Park Road/Aigburth Road for Nikita Parris who is from Toxteth and who's family lives there. 

I'll watch some of it - my daughter has developed an interest in footy so as mentioned above it'll be good for her to see women playing footy i think. I'll support them, unlike the men's team who i actively despise. 

Ironically i was talking about it in the office to the women in my team and they were at best clueless about it, and at worst positively didn't give a shit.

28 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

General play is decent but like mentioned the goal keepers are worse than toddlers.

The size of the goals is one issue, but a bigger one is that all the goalkeepers play like their legs have been set in concrete such is their inability to get off the ground when the ball is all head height.

I enjoyed the last one. At the risk of damning with faint praise, sometimes you just want to sit back and watch some free-to-air football and not work yourself into a frenzy over some bullshit. The Women's World Cup fits the bill. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Will watch bits of it if England progresses.

Football ( playing and supporting ) has been one of the greatest influences on my life , and can't see why 50% of the population should not be given the same opportunities I had.

You're now on Jacob Rees Mogg's hitlist. 

• Upvote 2

That Rachel Yankey was in the year below me at secondary school. I didn't realise she was a girl until about the 3rd or 4th year as she had short back and sides and everyone called her "Ray", but found out that was so she could play for a boys footy team.

Thankfully things have changed since then, girls can now play in mixed teams until 18!

I've only really seen the US women's team doing that, and to be fair, the US women's team earned more money (or profit, can't remember) than the US Men's team for their federation due to their relative success compared to the men. At least they did after they won the last world cup 4 years ago.

2 hours ago, The Woolster said:

That Rachel Yankey was in the year below me at secondary school. I didn't realise she was a girl until about the 3rd or 4th year as she had short back and sides and everyone called her "Ray", but found out that was so she could play for a boys footy team.

Thankfully things have changed since then, girls can now play in mixed teams until 18!

Sue Smith was a few years above me in senior school