You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early Summer Pre Final , Euro's Draft Rules & Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

37 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Rank the below pairings:

Gullit - Van Basten

Kenny - Rush

Ronaldo - Romario

Yorke - Cole

Henry - Bergkamp

Shearer - Sheringham

Del Piero - Inzaghi

Raul - Ronaldo

Romario - Bebeto

Shevchenko - Crespo

Hate saying it but Henry & Bergkamp were unreal 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Should we write a small paragraph or something detailing our reasoning for our picks, tactics, why we think our squad is the best, etc... Feel like that would help for voting. 

Yeah, defo. 

I didn’t partake but ill vote and reckon you should. 

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Aye. In a traditional 442 I’m not sure there were any better pairings. Kenny and Rush would run them close though. 

That’s it. 

The fact Henry and Bergkamp would be so far behind those 4 says everything. 

EDIT: And everyone knows how much I love Rush! 

3 hours ago, John102 said:

1757751_AFC_Ajax.jpg

In the modern game, fullbacks are more important than ever, playing a massive part in a teams play, both going forward and also at the back. In Lizarazu and Lahm, i have 2 all time greats in the position and comfortably the best in this draft. With a 2 man midfield, as brilliant as they are, its key that the 2 full backs are able to join in and provide options. Both of the full backs can step into midfield and ensure the 2 arent outnumbered. At the back, i have gone with 3. In Maldini, i have one of the top 3 defenders in the draft. I will let people debate if he is number 1. 

In Red Ron, i have a defender who is able to bring the ball out of defence and be the link between the defence and midfield. Able to attack and defend, i think he allows us to play out from the back and keep the ball against some dangerous attacks in this draft.

Overall, i think the defensive 5, offer fantastic protection to a solid, if not spectacular goalkeeper, whilst also being able to contribute effectively offensively.

Xavi and Boban speak for themselves. Pure class and technical ability, able to create space and pick out the overlapping full backs. Both are able to carry the ball, but have the tactical nous to be able to make a 2 man midfield work. Xavi speaks for himself as a midfielder and is legitimate top 5 for me of all time, whilst Boban is one of the greatest players of his generation and a jewel in the crown of the great Yugoslavia youth side.

I think Sterling is going to be criminally underrated in this draft, particularly with the way he left us, but i honestly think he is one of the most impressive 24 year olds of the last 30 years. Technical yet tenacious. Strong as an ox but as graceful as a ballerina. I think he would buzz around the penalty area, making late darts into the box and getting on the end of the crosses from Lahm and Lizarazu. On the other side, you have Figo. Again one of the best in the world in his day. Pacey, powerful, with skill and steel. Figo can come inside or go on the outside, with Lahm clever enough to come inside.

Lastly, Mijatovic. What can you say. The best bits of Bergkamp mixed with a bit of Bobby Firmino. The front 3 are all able to exchange positions, clever enough to make runs to create space for others. There are probably better individual players in the drafts, but i dont think their is a cleverer front 3 than this. Top defenders can defend easier against individuals and can create plans to deal with them. This front 3 ask 2 many questions for any defence to keep out all game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John102 said:

In the modern game, fullbacks are more important than ever, playing a massive part in a teams play, both going forward and also at the back. In Lizarazu and Lahm, i have 2 all time greats in the position and comfortably the best in this draft. With a 2 man midfield, as brilliant as they are, its key that the 2 full backs are able to join in and provide options. Both of the full backs can step into midfield and ensure the 2 arent outnumbered. At the back, i have gone with 3. In Maldini, i have one of the top 3 defenders in the draft. I will let people debate if he is number 1. 

In Red Ron, i have a defender who is able to bring the ball out of defence and be the link between the defence and midfield. Able to attack and defend, i think he allows us to play out from the back and keep the ball against some dangerous attacks in this draft.

Overall, i think the defensive 5, offer fantastic protection to a solid, if not spectacular goalkeeper, whilst also being able to contribute effectively offensively.

Xavi and Boban speak for themselves. Pure class and technical ability, able to create space and pick out the overlapping full backs. Both are able to carry the ball, but have the tactical nous to be able to make a 2 man midfield work. Xavi speaks for himself as a midfielder and is legitimate top 5 for me of all time, whilst Boban is one of the greatest players of his generation and a jewel in the crown of the great Yugoslavia youth side.

I think Sterling is going to be criminally underrated in this draft, particularly with the way he left us, but i honestly think he is one of the most impressive 24 year olds of the last 30 years. Technical yet tenacious. Strong as an ox but as graceful as a ballerina. I think he would buzz around the penalty area, making late darts into the box and getting on the end of the crosses from Lahm and Lizarazu. On the other side, you have Figo. Again one of the best in the world in his day. Pacey, powerful, with skill and steel. Figo can come inside or go on the outside, with Lahm clever enough to come inside.

Lastly, Mijatovic. What can you say. The best bits of Bergkamp mixed with a bit of Bobby Firmino. The front 3 are all able to exchange positions, clever enough to make runs to create space for others. There are probably better individual players in the drafts, but i dont think their is a cleverer front 3 than this. Top defenders can defend easier against individuals and can create plans to deal with them. This front 3 ask 2 many questions for any defence to keep out all game.

Thats a cracking side to be fair. 

I was going to lash Matthaus at centre half and put McStay in the middle with Iniesta but 2 things stopped me.

1. Half of you turds would't know how good the maestro was and B, I took Popescu who is one of the best centre halves  to have played football. 

Guest Alex_K

This is going to be the hardest one to vote on yet for me - some really great, interesting sides. John - agree re: Sterling - there's a complete dearth of good wide players and Sterling's probably already one of the top 10 Europe has produced in the past 10-15 years. I would have taken him if there wasn't an even greater dearth of genuinely world class left backs.

Speaking of criminally under rated.. It's a bit mad that Ribery never gets picked in these things. There were a few years where he And robben were absolutely unstoppable.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

This is going to be the hardest one to vote on yet for me - some really great, interesting sides. John - agree re: Sterling - there's a complete dearth of good wide players and Sterling's probably already one of the top 10 Europe has produced in the past 10-15 years. I would have taken him if there wasn't an even greater dearth of genuinely world class left backs.

Speaking of criminally under rated.. It's a bit mad that Ribery never gets picked in these things. There were a few years where he And robben were absolutely unstoppable.

Because he’s french, and there are loads of better french players to choose from normally; Zidane, Thuram, Vieira, etc. He underperformed for the national team too. 

11 hours ago, John102 said:

So can I confirm that you’re playing 5-2-3?

I was sceptical about Robben myself, not because he wasn't a brilliant player but because just like Ribery, he is often either overlooked or underrated in these drafts. I needed a right winger and some cunt got Bale before I managed 

4 hours ago, John102 said:

At the minute i feel like i should win by default, as no cunt has explained their picks, like i thought was the plan.

Sometimes silence is better. Less chance you can put your foot in it.