You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia

Section_31

37 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

A mate lives in the countryside just on the outskirts of Adelaide, looks incredible and they have a standard of living they couldn’t dream of in the UK. 

That sounds like wine country. Adelaide Hills, or McLaren Vale, very nice.

5 hours ago, skaro said:

Indeed, JJ, my apologies.

I wrote Gris when in actual fact I meant Noir... and I've just made up for that, several fold, at the Union Hotel in Chapel St, Windsor.

Incidentally, Pinot Gris-wise, the Union is promoting a local wine maker, who has managed to get alcoholic permission close to all our hearts...

20190607_134936.jpg

The Pinot noir is nicer

• Like 1

I will almost certainly move there one day as my wife is from Sydney. I do like it there (and I like Melbourne far more than Sydney), and in some ways the standard of living is definitely better, as much for the high wages as the climate.

But on the flip side, although the UK is hardly a liberal paradise at the moment, I am always struck by quite how right wing Australia is every time I go there. And as others have said, having grown up with Europe on the doorstep I would struggle with how isolated it is. Oh, and I fucking hate spiders, which is something of an issue.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

But on the flip side, although the UK is hardly a liberal paradise at the moment, I am always struck by quite how right wing Australia is every time I go there.

It can hardly come as a surprise, though, given how the country was founded on the genocide of the indigenous population.

11 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

It can hardly come as a surprise, though, given how the country was founded on the genocide of the indigenous population.

No, sure, though the racism I encountered felt as much a result of how isolated the country is as its history (though of course this plays an undeniable role too). 

49 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Are they racist towards white British folk? 

There can be a little bit of an us and them type attitude, but it depends on how you settle with them.

more and more tech work places are like a Benetton advert, which is cool, but as around the western world, the right wingers success by stirring up a fear of the immigrant amongst the whites. This leass to a you poms are alright, your like us.

part of the reason I hate seeing people use ex-pat to try and place themselves above the other immigrant population, I lose my shit and call them immigrants and we all are.

11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Massive deadly spiders, snakes and fuck knows what else. And even worse in the sea. That's before you get started on the people.

Australia my arse. Should be called Nopeland. 

Yer big fucking pussy.

If a shithouse like me can live there 12 years, anyone can, Melbourne is definitely the best for keeping clear of dodgy wildlife though. Barely see a spider these days.

5 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

I will almost certainly move there one day as my wife is from Sydney. I do like it there (and I like Melbourne far more than Sydney), and in some ways the standard of living is definitely better, as much for the high wages as the climate.

But on the flip side, although the UK is hardly a liberal paradise at the moment, I am always struck by quite how right wing Australia is every time I go there. And as others have said, having grown up with Europe on the doorstep I would struggle with how isolated it is. Oh, and I fucking hate spiders, which is something of an issue.

Was eating out in Paris with our Adelaide-dwelling friends ( from Kirkby & Fazak originally ) when a medium sized spider appeared on the tablecloth. The pair of them shit themselves , Ray ran about 20 yards up the road and Pauline stood on her chair screaming , while I cupped the spider in my hands and put it on the pavement. They were hyper-ventilating and waffling on about 'redbacks' for about 20 minutes.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

They're Australian, they basically are white British folk.

That's horseshit, mate.

Australia has a massive population of continental Europeans.

Melbourne, for instance, is the second biggest Greek City in the world after Athens.