You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia

Section_31

16 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Massive deadly spiders, snakes and fuck knows what else. And even worse in the sea. That's before you get started on the people.

Australia my arse. Should be called Nopeland. 

You are fine on land but New Zealand is surrounded by seas filled with sharks,whiteys too. Racist bastards!

9 hours ago, skaro said:

That's horseshit, mate.

Australia has a massive population of continental Europeans.

Melbourne, for instance, is the second biggest Greek City in the world after Athens.

Not disputing that, but at the turn of the century the number of Anglo-Celtic Australians was 70%.

Probably a bigger proportion of people of British descent in Australia than in large parts of Britain.

Melbourne is a great place to live. I enjoy that events at the MCG are quite accessible, you could pretty much just rock up to most AFL games, and you’d get a ticket. The summer is generally long and reliable, and the bay is quite nice and easy enough to get to. The CBD is fantastic. Loads of great restaurants and bars.

What i’ll miss from the UK: Going to the football, great pubs (you have a few in Melbourne but almost limited to inner north), Guinness, world class bands and DJs in town every weekend, european city breaks, cheaper booze in general. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Melbourne is a great place to live. I enjoy that events at the MCG are quite accessible, you could pretty much just rock up to most AFL games, and you’d get a ticket. The summer is generally long and reliable, and the bay is quite nice and easy enough to get to. The CBD is fantastic. Loads of great restaurants and bars.

What i’ll miss from the UK: Going to the football, great pubs (you have a few in Melbourne but almost limited to inner north), Guinness, world class bands and DJs in town every weekend, european city breaks, cheaper booze in general. 

Can't help thinking you have omitted something from your list. What could it be, what could it be?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Don't apologize mate, I won't hold that against you. Unlike a lot of your countrymen.

Yeah, and we didn't give a shit, got on with it and assimilated, and adapted and still kept our identities, and flourished.

Imagine giving that advice to someone today.

• Upvote 1

I spent a month in Oz a few years back.

Thought Melbourne was great, Sydney alright and Brisbane ok. 

Great to visit but I wouldn't want to live anywhere apart from Melbourne.

Can't begin to describe how soul destroyingly bad the tv and adverts were

Strewth!!

Would have liked to have gone to Adelaide... what's that like?

3 hours ago, mattyq said:

Strewth!!

Adelaide Oval is about as close to Anfield as you can get in Australia. 

15 hours ago, skaro said:

Careful, Cev, I'm Hobart born and bred....

I'll get me coat.

That explains a lot, still at least you got out! To be fair, only been across once and it was ok, gonna head back over now we have the beast for some off road driving.

9 hours ago, viRdjil said:

FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST WITH BEANS DONE RIGHT!!

Full Irish is. If available and pretty decent in a couple of yards around st Kilda. Can’t wait till I can get back on the beans.

8 hours ago, mattyq said:

Strewth!!

Having lived at each of the 3 main cities you mentioned, I broadly agree with your verdicts. 2 years in brisbane, it was ok, but a bit small, bit redneck and culturally narrow.

sydney is good, had 2 stints there 3 and 4 years, main gripe would be the cost of living, but the little hidden beaches are great even into autumn, you can see pretty much any artists who are touring, has a good comedy festival and good

live music scene.  I couldn’t get into rugby though, so sports wise, it was a bit wank (I know they have the swans but AFL is still a bit of a novelty up there. The food is pretty good and you can get pretty much any style of food you would like.

melbourne has a bit more seasonality, which is sound as I like wearing a big coat in winter. Also means you can end up coming home at 6am to find you have been heating an empty house for 10 days whilst you were in Madrid / Liverpool.

the people seem a bit friendlier, it feels more European, the food is as varied as you would like and pretty good. 

Going the MCG for a tenner every other week to watch the pies is pretty good value, we can have a decent seat in the social club house, mooch around the stadium during the match to different seats, all for pretty much the cost of a match ticket at Anfield. Obviously the sport and the spectacle and passion are not quite the same, but as something to do on a Saturday afternoon it’s good. Musically, as JJ said some good live venues dotted about, always spooks me when I talk to locals who have no idea where the croxton or cherry bar is, or have never been inside the forum. Pretty much anyone coming to Sydney will play melbourne, sure the venues aren’t as razzle dazzle as the opera house, but all the same it’s good.

I reckon we’d be unlikely to move to Brisbane again, but Noosa for retirement would be good. And reckon we will probably spend more time moving between Sydney and Melbourne, we’re stuck here for the foreseeable, due to my impending kidney op.

7 hours ago, skaro said:

Good.

Indeed.

• Upvote 3

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:47, mattyq said:

Strewth!!

I thought that Adelaide was a bit of a shithole to be honest

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18251301@N08/albums/72157651114450205