You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Computers and consoles - what have you got?

18 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

LA Noire didn’t get great reviews but it’s well worth a play through at least once. The PS3 games I’ve kept hold of are all the GTA’s, both Red Dead’s, LA Noire, Last Of Us and Grid 2. I’ll play them all again one day. 

I've got LA Noire on the Switch, it's a good game.

I should get the Last of Us for my PS3 but not sure I'll ever have the time to play it. Got a back log of PS3 games I've never even opened! 

Used this time at home to fix up my modded Wii and PS Vitas. 

Pretty much done with the Wii - got a dozen GameCube games run off an sd card, plus collections of Nes, SNES, Megadrive, Neo Geo and PC Engine run off the home screen. The Wii is a great machine for retro emulators.

Also downloaded a newer version of Retro Arch for my Vitas. It's brilliant -

10 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Used this time at home to fix up my modded Wii and PS Vitas. 

Pretty much done with the Wii - got a dozen GameCube games run off an sd card, plus collections of Nes, SNES, Megadrive, Neo Geo and PC Engine run off the home screen. The Wii is a great machine for retro emulators.

Also downloaded a newer version of Retro Arch for my Vitas. It's brilliant -

I'm going to look at installing Retroarch tomorrow. I have a video on how to go about it, the video also covers how to install Moonlight on the Vita. Looks like it enables the Vita to play PC games.

18 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Here is the guide and the download - 

https://www.arcadepunks.com/ps-vita-ultimate-retro-pack-from-crazymac-fully-load-your-vita-now/

I just downloaded the Lite - it's about 20gb. There's instructions to follow it's pretty straightforward. 

Looking at the installation instructions for that, it seems to require a SD card with at least 210gb free space but I only have the official small capacity cards that sony sold back then. Looks like I would need some kind of adapter for that, so at this stage I think it rules this out.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Looking at the installation instructions for that, it seems to require a SD card with at least 210gb free space but I only have the official small capacity cards that sony sold back then. Looks like I would need some kind of adapter for that, so at this stage I think it rules this out.

That's the Ultimate build. I downloaded the Lite build which is 20gb (I wasn't interested in 200gb of PSOne games tbh). 

I've modded both mine to use SD2Vita - a memory card adapter which has a slot for normal micro SD cards. One is 64gb (which I already had) the other is 128gb (which I bought specifically). 

Your Vita has to be modded if you want to do any of this mind. 

24 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

That's the Ultimate build. I downloaded the Lite build which is 20gb (I wasn't interested in 200gb of PSOne games tbh). 

I've modded both mine to use SD2Vita - a memory card adapter which has a slot for normal micro SD cards. One is 64gb (which I already had) the other is 128gb (which I bought specifically). 

I think mine has, it has vitashell and something like enso so I think I will need the sd2vita which I have seen on Amazon for £6 and I think I have a spare 200gb sd card somewhere. 

5 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I've just installed the baseline Retroarch and am going to start looking for the games to use. As I hadn't powered the Vita on for a good couple of years, they were on old system versions and the PSN accounts had their security details changed a few times which I had to get through but finally all installed and appears to be working. It looks great.

On 06/05/2020 at 09:28, johnsusername said:

Nice one. Have you used the Retro Arch pack from Arcade Punks? That has all the games and artwork and has them all set up - you just follow the instructions (copy and paste folders basically) and it's all done for you.

I have downloaded it but I have to wait until I receive the sd2vita card I have ordered to arrive. Hopefully then I can start to use it. I'm going to look into the pc game side of it next to see if that is possible. 

On 06/05/2020 at 09:28, johnsusername said:

Nice one. Have you used the Retro Arch pack from Arcade Punks? That has all the games and artwork and has them all set up - you just follow the instructions (copy and paste folders basically) and it's all done for you.

I have got the SD2Vita set up now with a 200gb sd card. I'm not sure what the largest possible is but that is plenty for the lite build of retroarch. That is all installed and running like a dream. It took quite a while to set up the SD2Vita as the instructions I used missed out a vital step but all sorted in the end. I am considering downloading at least some of the PS1 games.

As a side note, I just downloaded another emulator on the PS Vita. The N64 emulator with Super Mario 64 is just like playing it on the N64! If you have it, good on you. If you haven't, it's definitely worth getting it installed, I'm going to get more N64 games for it.

Nice one! 200gb is plenty isn't it. I'd have liked bigger cards (I've got 64 in one and 128 in another) but i made the decision to keep costs down and use what I had already. 

The hacking and the SD2Vita mod I remember being quite stressful. Something always goes awry and you end up searching the internet for answers. 

I never did like the N64 to be honest. There's been a lot of work on the emulator recently though, I might give it a whirl. 

Retro Arch is great though - love having all the artwork. Although there are a few games missing, and the Speccy emulator is 48k not 128k. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Nice one! 200gb is plenty isn't it. I'd have liked bigger cards (I've got 64 in one and 128 in another) but i made the decision to keep costs down and use what I had already. 

The hacking and the SD2Vita mod I remember being quite stressful. Something always goes awry and you end up searching the internet for answers. 

I never did like the N64 to be honest. There's been a lot of work on the emulator recently though, I might give it a whirl. 

Retro Arch is great though - love having all the artwork. Although there are a few games missing, and the Speccy emulator is 48k not 128k. 

It was stressful and took most of a day. In the end I used a video by a youtuber called Tech James but even his video had a vital instruction missing, to do with showing hidden system files. If you miss any files on the Vita that are hidden from the system on windows then the reinstallation of Vitashell and Henkaku will not work. I ended up doing it 4 times in a row and the last time just took an hour or so and was a full success. As it turns out I remember getting a great deal on a cheap second Vita so I have a second SD2Vita card so I will think about how I could use that.

It's opened up a bit of a rabbit hole - I'm looking at installing PKGj which appears to be allow Vita games to be downloaded free. The details are on this video...

Also looking at the possibility of moving the built in firmware from 3.73 to 3.60 which would result in Henkaku becoming permament rather than having to run it from startup and could also enable the installation of Adrenaline to run PSP titles also. Details on this video here...

19 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

xbox one just stopped showing uo on the tv.

tried everything, it seems to be dead, despite normal booting up sounds and light.

now considerig next move....

xbox one s

xbox one x

xbox series x

It could be a dodgy HDMI cable or TV connector. Have you tried changing the HDMI cable from the xbox to the TV or perhaps plugging another device into the same TV connector? It's best to rule that out before buying a new system...

12 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It was stressful and took most of a day. In the end I used a video by a youtuber called Tech James but even his video had a vital instruction missing, to do with showing hidden system files. If you miss any files on the Vita that are hidden from the system on windows then the reinstallation of Vitashell and Henkaku will not work. I ended up doing it 4 times in a row and the last time just took an hour or so and was a full success. As it turns out I remember getting a great deal on a cheap second Vita so I have a second SD2Vita card so I will think about how I could use that.

It's opened up a bit of a rabbit hole - I'm looking at installing PKGj which appears to be allow Vita games to be downloaded free. The details are on this video...

Also looking at the possibility of moving the built in firmware from 3.73 to 3.60 which would result in Henkaku becoming permament rather than having to run it from startup and could also enable the installation of Adrenaline to run PSP titles also. Details on this video here...

Yeah Tech James is hit and miss. I have a Mac so had to use the one single guide on YouTube. Took ages. When I did the second Vita his files had gone. I ended up using a guide on a Facebook group and I still dont know how it worked tbh.

Apparently the best place is https://vita.hacks.guide/

Yes I've got PKJG - it's great! Some PC users use something called NoPayStation.

And yes mine are downgraded permanently. Adrenaline is really good - to be honest I think the psp has a better games library than the Vita. 

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It could be a dodgy HDMI cable or TV connector. Have you tried changing the HDMI cable from the xbox to the TV or perhaps plugging another device into the same TV connector? It's best to rule that out before buying a new system...

Nah, have tried it across 3 different tv's, and 3 different HDMI's.  It's done.

Am thinking Xbox One X, any reason to get the S instead, aside from price?

I'm too far down the xbox road to consider a PS4 now. 

20 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Nah, have tried it across 3 different tv's, and 3 different HDMI's.  It's done.

Am thinking Xbox One X, any reason to get the S instead, aside from price?

I'm too far down the xbox road to consider a PS4 now. 

Most Xbox games have been upgraded to make use of the Xbox One X graphical power and it is quite noticeable that the games look and perform a lot better. As an example, the game Control on the standard Xbox is the worst performer. The standard PS4 is the next best performer. Followed by PS4 Pro. Then Xbox One X performs the best of all consoles. It's a big jump up.

If you can justify spending the extra, it's really a no-brainer. I don't even know how much they cost now but you can normally get a good deal with extra game or games and with new system coming out at the end of the year it's likely the prices will only go down. But if you want one now, get the Xbox One X.

8 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah Tech James is hit and miss. I have a Mac so had to use the one single guide on YouTube. Took ages. When I did the second Vita his files had gone. I ended up using a guide on a Facebook group and I still dont know how it worked tbh.

Apparently the best place is https://vita.hacks.guide/

Yes I've got PKJG - it's great! Some PC users use something called NoPayStation.

And yes mine are downgraded permanently. Adrenaline is really good - to be honest I think the psp has a better games library than the Vita. 

Managed to get the firmware locked down to 3.60 and spoofed it to 3.73. This has made Henkaku a permament fixture rather than having to run it every time, it's very comprehensive. It's quite a nerve wracking experience to install the software as there are a couple of "proceed with the warning that you could lose your system" moments that you just have to accept if you want to move on. I did have a problem with Vitashell and Henkaku not working on the first completion, I had to take out the SD2Vita card to get it working again and had to start the process again. But at least it was saveable.

Added PKJg and downloading about ten high profile vita games, very good. Only thing left to consider is installing Adrenaline for PSP, I may as well go ahead. Hopefully I will have some space available and then start thinking about how to make use of the second vita. If I run out of space on one for Vita/Retroarch/N64 then it makes sense to make the second one a Vita/PSP.