You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Computers and consoles - what have you got?

PC - has an old i5 cpu (2320) so it needs upgrading to play games better. Can still play a fair amount of stuff (mainly thanks to graphics card and decent ram), as long as it's not the latest games with higher min cpu requirements. Could maybe play some of them on low settings but don't want to risk breaking it. Wanting to upgrade but could take a good while.

3DS with worn out shoulder button, never really used it since but might get a replacement in future.

A Wii but never really used it.

PS2, PS3, PS4.

Currently want a PSP and Gameboy Advance too. PSP for Phantasy Star Portable & to try out Gran Turismo handheld, and GBA for the Zelda games Links Awakening (an all time favourite from when i was a kid) and Link to the Past (played when I was a bit older but also a favourite from what I remember.) Latest Zelda games don't get me in the same way, but those old top down-type Zeldas are up there with the best games I've ever played.

Also want a Switch now, but will have to wait a while for that too before I have that type of cash spare.

• 2 weeks later...

PS4. I really like it when I get playing but probably haven't done so for about two years. I just don't get time, it feels like a major commitment these days due to the complexity of modern games, it's like watching a 20 hour film. I miss the 'pick up and play' era sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

Powered up the BBC micro yesterday,the old girl still works! Actually rescued her from the bottom of a skip in the grounds of the local school while walking Rafa a few years back.

Need to find space to set it up then source a copy of Elite.

Also still got our 48k Speccy,but that needs a new power pack.

For current retro gaming,I just use my Amazon Fire Tablet,running Retro Arch (for Mega Drive etc ) and Mupen64 (Nintendo64) emulators with a bluetooth controller.My Godson Tomas loves playing Super Mario 64 on it and his sister Mario Kart 64,they've got a XBox1 and PS4 at home but still like games from 20 odd years ago.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I was reading this morning that they are planning a full sized release of the C64. Good news if you still have a C64 knocking about, as they'll be re-releasing a shit load of games. 

A quick check of my browser history and I should find the URL...

Here you go. https://z6mag.com/2019/07/11/retro-commodore-64-is-back-with-a-full-sized-release/

I'm never really convinced by these retro re-releases. When you can download an emulator and the entire back catalogue for free and in less than an hour, why would you bother paying for a piece of emulated hardware and a restricted set of games? Also, there's still a pretty thriving demo and development scene going for both the Atari VCS/ 8 bit and C64, and the tools now available for them vastly exceed the quality of the programs available back in the day, so it's not even as if you'll be using them as dev machines. 

• Upvote 1

Plus some people wouldn't know where to start with emulation. Roms and correct emulators and settings is too much like hard work. But if someone who has a fond memory of owning a C64 sees this pop up on their Amazon account then they might just buy on a whim.

And there are collectors who will buy anything.

But yes i generally agree - when i see the retro machines i always remind myself that i have loads of machines with loads of emulators already. )I did buy the playstation one but that was cheap and on offer and i really just wanted the two usb controllers ha.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 11:04, Funkasy said:

My ps3 is one of those thats backward compatable and has 4usb at the front. 

The super slim is okay. Two usb and doesn't play PS2 games, but does play psone (not that I'll be doing that).

I didn't realise the PS3 was so old though. Still, I got NHL 2012 for fifty pence ha. Love ice hockey games.

Also got GTA V for a fiver, always wanted to play it. Doesn't fucking work though. Won't install properly. I guess that's the risk with older games, especially discs. Will get another copy and hope that works. 

Still - pretty happy with a PS3, three controllers, ten games, for £40. I think this is a great time to pick up PS3 and Xbox 360 games for very very cheap. 

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:38, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not a patch on Chase HQ

Chase HQ was brilliant on the Spectrum. The 128 version even had digitised speech. I remember getting unduly excited about seeing Chase HQ II in the arcades, because you could shoot the enemy cars too.

Playing games was a lot more fun back then. I owned an Acorn Electron, then a ZX Spectrum +3, then nothing for years until I got a PC.

I never owned a console. About the only advantage they have over PCs is the social gameplay element. I'll likely get one at one point for that purpose, until then I am PC Master Race all the way.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sixtimes Dog said:

Chase HQ was brilliant on the Spectrum. The 128 version even had digitised speech. I remember getting unduly excited about seeing Chase HQ II in the arcades, because you could shoot the enemy cars too.

Playing games was a lot more fun back then. I owned an Acorn Electron, then a ZX Spectrum +3, then nothing for years until I got a PC.

I never owned a console. About the only advantage they have over PCs is the social gameplay element. I'll likely get one at one point for that purpose, until then I am PC Master Race all the way.

I agree that games were a lot more fun back then, but not because the games were better, but because we were younger and they were new - any game was a bonus and we were stupid little nitwits. I think our expectation was lower, or even non-existent. 

As for social gameplay, I can't agree on that one. There are a million and one communities for gamers. Both TeamSpeak and Discord based. Multiplayer gaming on the PC is way beyond PC, I think. In fact, sometimes it's the only choice. If you want recommendation for a community or something, let me know via PM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Modded my Playstation Classic at the weekend. Managed to put a couple of PS games on i like (the Playstation has dated really badly IMO). Better than that though it's now resplendent with a full collection of SNES, NES, Megadrive, Master System, Game Gear games, and a decent selection of Neo Geo. It was a bit of a pain to do and i've given up trying to get arcade games on there which is a shame. But it's a nice little plug and play retro machine now.

Also the other week, i uploaded a fully stocked Retro Arch onto one of my PS Vitas. Got it from a Facebook group i'm on. Got full game sets for NES, SNES, Gameboy/Colour, Famicom, Super Famicom, Megadrive, Master System, Game Gear, PC Engine, Turbografix, Neo Geo, Speccy, C64, Vetrex, Atari, and all sorts of arcade plasylists (Capcom, Irem, Data East, Taito, sports, fighting, shoot em ups etc). 20GB! Will probably only ever play 0.5% of them, but anyway. I was playing Renegade from the Speccy last night. Fucking IMPOSSIBLE. 

Getting a switch on Friday and planning to get a moded snes/PlayStation. 

Laptop in January for FM and total war. 

Anyone know best place to look for a laptop, have around a grand to spend maybe 1200 though rather not. Won't be playing high end games just strategy stuff and big football manager saves

• 5 months later...

I haven't had a console for at least a decade, maybe 15 years. Probably the latter, as it was almost certainly a PS2. A good mate had a PS3 and we used to play Fifa at his once or twice a week. That was sufficient for me. I'm so out of the loop that the dates that the consoles came out completely threw me. I thought the PS4 was out about two years ago, turns out it was seven years ago. Seven years ago was about the the time I thought the PS3 came out. 14 years ago, apparently.

Anyway, I'm bored of Football Manager 2012, and my laptop can barely play anything more taxing than that so I have decided to go all out and spend about 60 quid on a second hand PS3. 

I want GTA IV and maybe V (played both, and think IV was actually more fun). I want a reasonably modern Fifa, but can be 2016 or 2017. I also want Red Dead Redemption. Maybe a Call of Duty. Oh, and Fight Night.

Beyond that I haven't a fucking clue what is good. So, people that know stuff, what is ("was" for those of you who have shiny modern consoles) good?

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I haven't had a console for at least a decade, maybe 15 years. Probably the latter, as it was almost certainly a PS2. A good mate had a PS3 and we used to play Fifa at his once or twice a week. That was sufficient for me. I'm so out of the loop that the dates that the consoles came out completely threw me. I thought the PS4 was out about two years ago, turns out it was seven years ago. Seven years ago was about the the time I thought the PS3 came out. 14 years ago, apparently.

Anyway, I'm bored of Football Manager 2012, and my laptop can barely play anything more taxing than that so I have decided to go all out and spend about 60 quid on a second hand PS3. 

I want GTA IV and maybe V (played both, and think IV was actually more fun). I want a reasonably modern Fifa, but can be 2016 or 2017. I also want Red Dead Redemption. Maybe a Call of Duty. Oh, and Fight Night.

Beyond that I haven't a fucking clue what is good. So, people that know stuff, what is ("was" for those of you who have shiny modern consoles) good?

Dead Space 1 and 2, Max Payne 3, The Last Of Us and the Uncharted Series should keep you busy.

• Upvote 1