You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Computers and consoles - what have you got?

Always interested to know what other people waste I mean spend their time on. So, mine:

Nintendo Switch - Probably my main system due to being able to play it in front of the telly in docked mode, or just anywhere in portable mode. 

Nintendo Wii - I modded this a few years ago. Runs many hundreds of Snes, Nes and Megadrive games. Also runs Gamecube games off an SD memory card. It is supposed to run Wii games off a card but i've only managed to do that a couple of times (would need to buy an externally powered USB drive. Maybe one day). My 5 year old loves playing the motion control games - I still think the Wii is a brilliantly fun machine. 

Nintendo Gamecube - Got about 20 games and a lovely Wavebird controller.

Nintendo Gameboy Micro x 2 - One pink and one silver. Great little machine, fits in your pocket, i've taken them on holiday all over the place.

Nintendo Gameboy - In yellow. Still works. 

Sony PSP x 2. Got two slims - one 2000, one 3000. Modded both so they play PSP games off a memory stick, and also run Snes/Megadrive/Game Gear roms. Also runs Neo Geo and Capcom emulators.

Sony PS Vita x 2 - Got an original OLED (bought for £50 off Gumtree perfect condition) and the newer Slim version (which i got for free off a workmate). Modded both to play Vita games off a memory card and various emulators.

MacBook Pro - Don't really use it for gaming. Would there be anything worth playing? 

Android phone - use my previous Motorola to run a SNES emulator. I've got a bluetooth control pad which works great. 

Android phone - my current Motorola. Tend to play Mario Run, GTA Vice City (with a bluetooth controller), battleships and the old Speccy game Chaos. 

I reckon i spend more time messing round with systems (modding, downloading games) than actually playing them. And I usually just end up playing Sensible Soccer or Vice City most of the time anyway. 

I've never played on an Xbox and gave up with the home Playstation after the PS2. 

PS3, PS4 and Switch hooked up to the living room TV. The kids play the switch but my PlayStations might as well be ornaments. I could never bring myself to throw away all the Rockstar games so I’ll keep the consoles forever if I can. GTA IV, V, Liberty City Stories, RDR, RDR Undead Nightmare, RDR2 and LA Noire are timeless and I’ll get around to playing them all again one day. Also got The Last of Us on PS3 which isn’t Rockstar but completes that particular collection. 

The kids have got Nintendo DS’s and a PSP lying around, again barely touched. The boy has a PS4 Pro in his bedroom set up with the gaming chair and it’s fair to say he gets his money’s worth out of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

PS3, PS4 and Switch hooked up to the living room TV. The kids play the switch but my PlayStations might as well be ornaments. I could never bring myself to throw away all the Rockstar games so I’ll keep the consoles forever if I can. GTA IV, V, Liberty City Stories, RDR, RDR Undead Nightmare, RDR2 and LA Noire are timeless and I’ll get around to playing them all again one day. Also got The Last of Us on PS3 which isn’t Rockstar but completes that particular collection. 

The kids have got Nintendo DS’s and a PSP lying around, again barely touched. The boy has a PS4 Pro in his bedroom set up with the gaming chair and it’s fair to say he gets his money’s worth out of it. 

I've got LA Noir on the Switch but have barely played it. It's on the 'One Day' list.

If you're ever bored you should mod your PSP, it's very easy these days. Get GTA Vice City Stories on there if you're into your Rockstar stuff. 

• Upvote 1

On 05/06/2019 at 11:07, johnsusername said:

MacBook Pro - Don't really use it for gaming. Would there be anything worth playing? 

Blizzard still do Mac versions of all their games, and there's a decent selection on Steam, but you'd be better off putting Windows or Linux on it really.

I'm pretty much PC-exclusive these days, there's very little on consoles that I'm interested in, and the extra costs involved with them aren't worthwhile (to me). The kids have an XBone, and have had a 360, Wii and Gamecube in the past. Wii party games are still fun, but Microsoft have regained interest in the PC after years of false starts and are now sticking everything first party on the PC too.

Previously, I've had an Atari 2600, Atari 800XL (all-time fave), an Atari ST (wish I'd gone for an Amiga at the time), a SNES, Megadrive and a Playstation. I still play the odd old game through emulators, but most are best left to memory.

I do like modding, some of the stuff for games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate etc is amazing. Graphical overhauls and widescreen mods for older games really do breathe new life into them,

My favourite mod description was an arachnophobe mod for System Shock 2-

this mod, once activated, will slaughter ALL spiders EVERYWHERE, vanilla, SCP, fan missions, it just won't care. a worm will be spawned at their place. pre-placed spider corpses will also be removed.

I have now set the spiders to be destroyed as soon as they are created. As a safeguard I've also set them to be invisible, completely silent, slower then your average dead slug, have one (1) hit point, have weapons that make no damage AND they are on the Good team so any other AI's around will slay them! That enough for ya?

Own

Mega Drive II

SNES

Game Boy (original)

Game Boy Advance SP (silver)

Haven’t played the Mega Drive since the mid 00s, the SNES for longer. Haven’t played either of the Game Boys for about three years.

Previously owned

Master System

NES

Atari Lynx

PS1

PS2

• Upvote 1

Computers owned but not setup at the moment

Sinclair QL

ZX Spectrum 128

ZX Spectrum 128 +2

ZX Spectrum 128 +3

Commodore Amiga 500+

Commodore Amiga 1200

I also have a couple of old PCs as well that I no doubt will never get around to doing anything with, but still have around.

Consoles

Amstrad GX4000 (it's every bit as shit as you are probably now imagining it to be).

PS1

PS2

PS3 (one fat with all the PS2 emulation and slots etc. and one regular)

PS4

PS4 Pro

I also have two Atari Lynx and a GameGear but I am considering selling those. 

• Upvote 1

Is there a handheld device that plays the likes of sonic, games like tekken (fighting games) not an old device but a modern one. I could Google this shit but id rather an opinion on a device. My missus used to love those type of games and I'm sick of hearing her say she is bored when I'm finally getting a bit of ps4 time in.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is there a handheld device that plays the likes of sonic, games like tekken (fighting games) not an old device but a modern one. I could Google this shit but id rather an opinion on a device. My missus used to love those type of games and I'm sick of hearing her say she is bored when I'm finally getting a bit of ps4 time in.

Right here in the OP mate. 

On 05/06/2019 at 11:07, johnsusername said:

Sony PSP x 2. Got two slims - one 2000, one 3000. Modded both so they play PSP games off a memory stick, and also run Snes/Megadrive/Game Gear roms. Also runs Neo Geo and Capcom emulators.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, chevettehs said:

Computers owned but not setup at the moment

Sinclair QL

ZX Spectrum 128

ZX Spectrum 128 +2

ZX Spectrum 128 +3

Commodore Amiga 500+

Commodore Amiga 1200

I also have a couple of old PCs as well that I no doubt will never get around to doing anything with, but still have around.

Consoles

Amstrad GX4000 (it's every bit as shit as you are probably now imagining it to be).

PS1

PS2

PS3 (one fat with all the PS2 emulation and slots etc. and one regular)

PS4

PS4 Pro

I also have two Atari Lynx and a GameGear but I am considering selling those. 

That's quite the collection.

Wish we'd never sold our Speccy 48k or 128k+2, with hundreds of tapes. Or the SNES.

I bought a PlayStation Classic yesterday, so I can add that to my list. Not sure why, I don't really look back fondly at it at all. £26 though, can't argue. Might just leave it in the box a few years.  

• Upvote 1

I went through a stage in the still relatively early days of the internet when ebay was a new thing and yahoo also had an auction site, which was miles better than ebay but yahoo shut it down.

You could pick stuff up for very little money so I bought loads of odds and sods. Between what I had bought as a kid for the Spectrum and then topped up with ebay/yahoo buys I must have well over 500 original games plus the inevitable collection of C90 tapes with loads of copied stuff as well.

The Lynx and GameGears were just bought because I was obsessed with them as a kid but never got one. 

When I am finally back to having my own place (hopefully in the next year or so) I intend to get them all setup again.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, chevettehs said:

I went through a stage in the still relatively early days of the internet when ebay was a new thing and yahoo also had an auction site, which was miles better than ebay but yahoo shut it down.

You could pick stuff up for very little money so I bought loads of odds and sods. Between what I had bought as a kid for the Spectrum and then topped up with ebay/yahoo buys I must have well over 500 original games plus the inevitable collection of C90 tapes with loads of copied stuff as well.

The Lynx and GameGears were just bought because I was obsessed with them as a kid but never got one. 

When I am finally back to having my own place (hopefully in the next year or so) I intend to get them all setup again.

I fancied picking up an Atari 800XL plus some of the old games a year or two back. The prices were ridiculous, especially for the games, and much of the hardware was listed as 'not tested', which I assume is just a cop out for the thing being fucked. I gave up in the end- I know it's not quite the same thing, but when you can download an emulator and every game ever made for the system in half an hour, having the original stuff doesn't seem worthwhile.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

I fancied picking up an Atari 800XL plus some of the old games a year or two back. The prices were ridiculous, especially for the games, and much of the hardware was listed as 'not tested', which I assume is just a cop out for the thing being fucked. I gave up in the end- I know it's not quite the same thing, but when you can download an emulator and every game ever made for the system in half an hour, having the original stuff doesn't seem worthwhile.

Totally agree, the prices are crazy for a lot of the stuff now. The way they messed about with Business Sellers and such like didn't help either, loads of stuff is just priced at Buy Now rather than auctions and letting the market find it's level. So people see others with it listed at a high price and do the same.

The Amstrad console I have has a cheapest one of £116 buy it now on ebay now and one at auction which is up to £50 with 3 days to go. I'm sure I paid about £15 for mine. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Wii, X-Box 360 and X-box One. Mostly game on PC these days. Invested in a gaming set up, built our own rigs (both sons and myself) and saved quite a bit of money in the process. Also you get what you want and not a good PC with one or two weak points as is the usual case.